Disc Golf Store
Old 09-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: LHBH
let them bitch. they can use thier suggestions to improve thier own course if they got off thier asses and did some work for the beter of the sport for a change. no one should bitch unless they put in work for the course. if it was not for you they wouldnt be able to play there
Old 09-16-2012, 10:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
what I want to hear are some other designers experiences with some of the more unpopular changes and concepts they have come up with
Old 09-16-2012, 10:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpisow View Post
let them bitch. they can use thier suggestions to improve thier own course if they got off thier asses and did some work for the beter of the sport for a change. no one should bitch unless they put in work for the course. if it was not for you they wouldnt be able to play there
thank you mister
Old 09-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
thank you mister
just venting on what i have observed.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 83
Run a tournament or something big there. Usually this encourages players to play the course numerous times in order to practice and maybe see possible lines or avenues to sneak in birdies so they think they have an advantage on the rest of the field. By then they will also have realized that a challenging hole is fun to play.

I have a course similar to my house that I am at the point where I am consistently 6 down (12 holes). I definitely would have mixed feelings if they changed the course up because while almost always being 4-6 down, they are still challenging. Three years ago they shortened up Hole 1 and lengthened Hole 2 all in the name of safety. It took a year or two but people eventually forgot (or never knew) they had different locations. If they did the same thing again, I too may say some things, but I would get over it and eventually come to like the new holes. With that being said, make sure you are not shrinking the course (length or numbers of holes). While I can accept change, I cannot accept subtraction.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:39 PM

Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: LHFH
Can I ask what the course is? From Philly area so womdering if I've played it...and I am not one to come down on designers. We need you guys to play!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Don't try to please everyone because it just will never happen. It's your design not theirs nor would very many of the ones bitching be willing to help you out, so screw em. If they choose not to play the course its their loss not yours. Nobody is perfect, so not every idea you come up with will work but don't let a few people bitching deter you from giving it a shot. I hope everything works out for ya because my biggest pet peeve is people who bitch about something they don't put any time and effort into.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
...It's just amazing how fast players get attached to a particular layout...
As they will this one. You could just wait.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:47 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 22
I have never had to deal with this with a disc golf course (although I have made unpopular changes to a league to better serve new players). However, I have led many other organisations through change.

How did you go about making the changes? Were they will communicated, or were they just pushed through? Often communication makes all the difference.

If you are going to make major changes, I would suggest posting notices. Ideally, a notice listing all changes at the start of the course, and a notice with particular changes for the hole at every tee sign. Put them up for at least a couple of weeks, preferably a couple of months. With these notices, invite people to attend a meeting or two where they can hear why you want to make the changes and where you listen to any concerns they have. And make sure you listen LOTS- way more than you talk. Not only to get insight, but also because if people are listened to before the changes, they are way less likely to complain after the changes, even if none of their ideas were used.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Nope I have learned design by committee is not the way to go. I made the changes with safety and course balance in mind. Mostly safety and IMHO there is no reason to put safety up to committee. The reality was that 2 holes played too close and fired drivers at one another. I sacrificed a fun downhill and a long par 3.5ish hole. It's funny the main complaint is that I took out the most challenging hole and put in a hole that's too hard. I don't make this stuff up.