Old 09-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHBH
Thanks for all the comments guys, I think this is going to be our schedule for the weekend:

Friday (early afternoon) - Pinchot Boulder Woods
Saturday (morning) - Buchmiller
Sunday (morning) - Creekside and maybe Willow Mill

I noticed the last two while browsing the area courses yesterday and they look like nice places to go for a really casual round. I may even flip Friday and Sunday's rounds. I'd really like to play Ship Rock but I'm just not sure that it would be fun for me at my current skill level. I will definitely keep it, Roland Park and Quaker's Challenge in my wishlist though.

If any one is available to play at the time of day listed let me know and we can set something up, it'd be nice to meet some locals.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 18
Switching Friday and Sunday may be nice - Pinchot is awfully pretty in the mornings this time of year

Creekside is fun, there will be two very casual league rounds on Friday. They call it "Smack Talk Friday" it is is played in mob-golf format. If you get behind them, say "hi" and ask to play through - there are a lot of good people there, it won't be a problem.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 437
Throwing Style: LHFH
giving Coyote Hills a node, very nice course an well maintained.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Par Member

We hit Boulder Woods yesterday and Buchmiller today, as planned. Boulder Woods was enough of a challenge for me, I'm glad we didn't play Quaker Challenge, my skills just aren't up to snuff. I didn't think it was over the top tough, after a few more rounds I think I'd play it a little better, but I got some lucky tree bounces that helped me out and I had what I thought were a few nice drives that left me with some pretty tough lies. If I played there more I would definitely develope a better RHFH.

Buchmiller was a blast to play! Yeah there wasn't the challenge but I'm pretty sure we all play to have fun and this course provides a great setting for fun golfing and still gives you a good variety of holes.

Looking forward to hitting up Creekside and maybe Willow Mill before heading back west tomorrow.

P.S. Found a GL Flow at Boulder Woods had the name Tom and a number on the back, since we don't live in the area I dropped it in the slot, so hopefully that gets back to the owner.

Last edited by el_duder; 09-22-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Par Member

We sandwiched a trip to Appalachian Brewery with rounds at Creekside and Willow Mill Park before heading back to Pittsburgh. Highlights were: Appalachian Brewery and Monster Alley at Creekside. I enjoyed the round at Creekside mostly because of holes 14 to 16. There is so much going on on 14 that you almost don't want to throw, but then you just go for it. It wasn't kind to me but I stayed inbounds and out of the creek. I just hit a few trees en route to a double bogey. Willow Mill was a quick play and is a very nice place for people with kids (which I saw a group of a couple fathers and about 4 or 5 kids and a group of a father and son). The wind played havoc with me at that course, well that and the fact that I just couldn't throw straight.

Overall we had fun during our weekend in the area and hope we can get back to play some other courses and definitely play Buchmiller again.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHFH
If you get back to the area you must play Coyote Hills. Its a newer course that doesn't get the recognition that it deserves, its a 4.5 disc course in my opinion.