Disc Golf Store
Old 09-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 43
Lightbulb Disc Golf Store Review

The post title explains more than I need to, but I'll write some stuff anyway so maybe you'll think it's cooler.

Yeah, yeah, there's Yelp and stuff, but this idea could be exclusive to the disc golf community, which is why we have sites like DGCR.

The site could answer questions like:
1. Where's the nearest store cuz I want a new disc naoooo?
2. Where's the nearest store that carries [brand]?!
3. Can I go there now or do I have to go when it's not 11pm?
4. How do I call to see if they have a disc I want?
5. Will they be open to ordering different brands so I can see them in person rather than order blind and get a domey disgusting fart when I really wanted that flat top beautiful blue babycakes?
6. Are these people good to buy from or will they use the profits to support a hate-fueled agenda (ie., turning a dg course into a bg course)?

TL;DR - Let's get together and develop a site like DGCR for DG stores.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: LHBH
Pretty sure with the combined knowledge of all the DGCRers could put together a spreadsheet or something that would answer all of those questions for ONLINE stores at least. As for physical stores it almost might be too widespread to gather all of that information. But info about discgolfcenter, marshallstreet, discnation, clearwater, gottagogotta and others could be compiled easily.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 35
Prerube did a comparison of the major online stores. I am too lazy to look for it.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

That's the thing, maan. We're all stuck inside for part of our days able to do internet research easily. And quite frankly, we don't need something to tell us DiscNation and DGC and MSt have good selections and good shipping. The real value of DGCR (other than these awesome forums), is that people are actually OUT there playing and reviewing the courses, but they're ALSO going in the shops buying discs. Which is another feature to add...

7. Nearest shops to [course]? Nearest courses to [shop]?

Who on here doesn't love getting new discs so much that they'd rather drive 20 minutes to snag a disc than wait a week for one to be delivered?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by apparition View Post
That's the thing, maan. We're all stuck inside for part of our days able to do internet research easily. And quite frankly, we don't need something to tell us DiscNation and DGC and MSt have good selections and good shipping. The real value of DGCR (other than these awesome forums), is that people are actually OUT there playing and reviewing the courses, but they're ALSO going in the shops buying discs. Which is another feature to add...

7. Nearest shops to [course]? Nearest courses to [shop]?

Who on here doesn't love getting new discs so much that they'd rather drive 20 minutes to snag a disc than wait a week for one to be delivered?
Very few local disc purchase options for me so I don't even bother looking locally due to high prices and terrible selection. I suppose that is why I don't see the appeal of your proposition.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by maansmit View Post
Prerube did a comparison of the major online stores. He was too lazy to do it well.
Fixed

I kid, I kid. I think if you're gonna do a price comparison, you shouldn't be looking for specific models and weights. Just figure out their base price for Line X from Brand X and compare policies and pricing model (rewards, shipping options, discounts, etc.) There were stores with stuff like "They didn't have the 167g Red PD that I wanted so I skipped them"

I like the Store Directory idea... it would help grow disc golf for people to know where they could GO to touch plastic. BTW, MVP's site has a Dealer Locator that shows a lot of smaller local shops. Several manufacturers maintain a Locator that shows these off-the-web disc shops, which is great.

Paging Solt for a new DG Info site!!
Old 09-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 182
Throwing Style: RHBH
TimG willing, I don't see why this information couldn't be incorporated into DGCR. Stores can be plotted on the map and some basic information (hours, phone number, website, brands they carry) can be listed on their page.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
here's some shopping tips that may assist you but they are a bit outdated now
Old 09-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brall View Post
here's some shopping tips that may assist you but they are a bit outdated now
That post shows way more options that I didn't think to add to my list of growing features (sell baskets, dyed discs, bags, bundles, etc.)!

Old 09-20-2012, 01:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHFH
I think the idea has merit. It sure would/could/should be helpful for traveling golfers.