Old 10-05-2012, 12:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by papamullins View Post
ZAM being about 3 hours north of you guys I want to like DN. I really do. But for whatever reason, it just rubs me the wrong way.

Here's what I have found (sorry if this is off topic, but I think the question he posted earlier can reel it back in a bit):

-An order from MSt gets here just as quick as DN. They're on the eastern seaboard. You guys are in the same state as I am.

-You guys charge for same day shipping, on top of shipping. Is DN so busy processing orders that you can't get something out the same day as the order without charging more for it? I don't know what type of man power you guys have in the warehouse, but every time I have been in the brick & mortar there wasn't too much of anything going on. Maybe I'm biased because of how the shipping is done through my business (non DG related), but it seems that charging more for having your product leave the same day is just an unnecessary price gouge. I would love to be wrong here.

-The whole handful of different websites operated under 1 company thing. They all serve the same purpose, but offer different pitches depending on what site you're on. Why do I have to pay for shipping from DN but can do dgsuperstore or whatever it's called, and get free shipping? If you're going to offer free shipping somewhere, why not just everywhere? What if sales stopped through all other sites because the free shipping option was so awesome through dgsuperstore, would you stop free shipping through it? It appears to be the same inventory pool available via different sites with roughly the same prices and/or benefits. This just seems sleazy.

I don't mean to offend you guys at all. Please don't take what I have said personally. These are my feelings based on past experiences with DN through the past 2 years. I'm sure at the end of the day you're all stand up guys and gals. I guess I'm just frustrated by the above, especially when the operation is so "close" to me in comparison to others.
Hey I appreciate the inclination to support fellow Texas DG folks, and I understand that not every store speaks to every person, no worries and no offense taken.

We knock out orders all day pretty quickly, but we do offer the extra security blanket of Rush Processing. That jumps the stack the minute your order is paid, no matter how big the stack is -- our entire system JUMPS on this Rush order. Some days it might not make a big difference, others you are potentially going to the top of the stack of hundreds. It's something you'd find on mainstream retail sites like Amazon, Buy, NewEgg, etc. Again we put on a bigger hustle than Policies states, but if Rush is worth it to a customer, we offer it as a default-to-off option for 2.99 flat. Lots of things we do are mainstream retail practices, and DG's young industry just doesn't have anything else in a mainstream model, so it looks strange in a foreign landscape.

The same goes for the multiple sites. It's just how large-scale eCommerce works. Each site has its targeted benefits, and we adjust the pricing model and policies to make it work, just like all the sites who have one single set of prices and services. DN has better pricing than DiscGolfStore, because of DGS' Free Shipping. EverythingDiscGolf has better pricing than DN because it doesn't run discounts. The small handful of sites we actually own cover a few target models for shoppers... free shipping, discounts, rewards, low base price, etc. We've been in the order fulfillment game for a while and a number of sites operate off of our inventory, some even our platform, but are simply fulfillment partners. This is mainstream eCommerce as well. And if one site or benefit ever outperformed another, we'd take it as market research and get into the lab. The current state of sub-brands reflects 10 years of experience and tweaking models. FWIW you see the "Powered by Disc Nation" tag on DiscGolfWholesale, and we've considered adding it to all sub-sites. The technology that drives our inventory and order processing is a marketable asset for our sites and partners.

Oh, store vs warehouse is night and day. The store handles locals and walk-ins... the warehouse is all the rest of operations, offices, retail and wholesale inventories, basket mountain, stamping/production, tech & product development, etc. I believe it's the largest facility in DG next to Innova/DC factories.

As for shipping time anomalies, it's a wacky world. Depends on the method, weight, destination type/region, etc... there are some strange instances, and I'm not sure what circumstances would lead to MASS and TX having equal ship times. I'm slightly doubtful it's that cut-and-dried but without seeing tracking, I can only say it might be one of those anomalies. Shipping from the central US is an overall boost for any shipper.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscNutt123 View Post
Regardless of all this, do you think people are coming on here and lying about your shipping being slower than MSt? I've ordered from almost everywhere and MSt is definitely the fastest shipping I've seen, hands down. The story is nice and all, but for some reason y'alls shipping is still slow.
No, I assume everyone's being completely honest about their experience. What I do think (for any dealer) is that individual circumstances and small sampling might not represent the typical experience. I see a ton of feedback and study it, and it's an overwhelming positive in regards to shipping/processing time. It's a factor that we monitor, and we've shuffled methods over the years as they change.

I have no doubt that MSt ships fast. I bet most places do. I strongly believe we're fast too, and that shipping has a lot more variables than just origin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
This, along with a different inventory between brick and mortar and online, is what keeps me from frequenting your store. I've been looking for pink Opto Pures. pablo.diablo kindly informed me you have one sitting in TX, but I can't order it. I wound up having to go elsewhere (DD because they're the only place online that has them and also has that detailed of online inventory) to get a couple.
Right, we do keep the inventory separate. Hasn't always been this way (there was no warehouse 4 years ago), but right now we rely on a clean boundary between inventory pools. People in the store can test them on the driving range, misplace them in the store, whatever, and NOT affect the integrity of our online inventory. This matters when you run real-time live inventory. The Austin store is meant to serve the locals and visitors, and the warehouse (which is never open to the public) is our clean-room for unthrown and precisely managed online inventory. It sounds like the frustration in this stemmed from information you got from a handsome gentleman outside the company. This is just another mainstream practice, like how the Guitar Center 2 miles from me doesn't have what I want but can ship to store.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:40 PM
* Ace Member *

overarching personal sentiment for this thread: the DG industry is still tiny with a range of unique business models. lots of places are the best in their class. MSt is the best in their class, as is DN.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Is there some coastal bias going on here, perhaps? For me, Disc Nation is faster because I am in CA and they are in TX, not MA. Also, I'll usually go with DN on a one-disc purchase I want quick. If I am not antsy about it (for a backup or something) I will go with DGC. The higher price of the MSt shipping only makes it plausible for me if I am making a larger order.

That being said, I will usually defer to the company that has the disc I want - weight, color - over anything else, with shipping and other factors serving as tiebreakers.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to bdodson
marshall street just always seem to have what i am looking for. sometime dgc does but the other companies usually drive me away with price as well. my dad shops all over and his number one place is MST. he does have the maximum discount with discgolfcenter.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemilemore View Post
Is there some coastal bias going on here, perhaps? For me, Disc Nation is faster because I am in CA and they are in TX, not MA. Also, I'll usually go with DN on a one-disc purchase I want quick. If I am not antsy about it (for a backup or something) I will go with DGC. The higher price of the MSt shipping only makes it plausible for me if I am making a larger order.

That being said, I will usually defer to the company that has the disc I want - weight, color - over anything else, with shipping and other factors serving as tiebreakers.
No coastal bias at all. I live in Texas. MSt is still faster.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Ya, MSt all the way. I actually felt a litttle dirty ordering from another online vendor today.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 15
I used Marshall Street for all of my Discs up untill about a year or so ago when I started actually looking for certain discs (1st Run Z Nukes, Whippets, etc) and then I had to branch out. But, up to then MST was the best. Id have to order on Monday or Tuesday to get the stuff before the weekend, but I'm in CA so I expect it. That and who cant spend $50 on a single order, three-four disc, a putter, a mini, a vid, a couple stickers... they have everything, with color discriptions and weights on everything. You dont see something online, want to know more about it call Jason and ask him to look, no problem. I also wait till the new month rolls around and then hit them up to see what the new monthly 20% off deal is, when its glow plastics turn I hit them up for every 175+ Glow Aviar they have!!!!! Hard to beat a brand new putter for $8! Then I started loving CryZtal FLX plastic Drones and Buzzzs, so I had to go to Dynamic Discs of course!! Free Shipping over $100, but yet again in CryZtal FLX thats three-four discs, and there is/was a free discount code online for like 10% off the entire order, so on $100 you basically get a free driver/putter! And again, dont see something online, call them and they'll give you the run down on what they got, and they have more in the store then a what the online inventory says, like 95% of the time!!! Both those stores rock... my two cents anyway!

Last edited by GEChurch; 10-05-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 20
does Marshall street send out shipping emails or anything like that? put in an order late thursday night and havent heard anything else since then.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:07 PM
* Innova: Choice of Champions *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridestreet84 View Post
does Marshall street send out shipping emails or anything like that? put in an order late thursday night and havent heard anything else since then.
Yes. It will travel faster than the wind, with the blessing of the frisbee gods, and the karma of our good will.

Are you sure you gave them the right email address?