Old 09-22-2012, 01:11 PM

Courses Played: 23
Drive analysis

Hey guys, would love some thoughts on my drive. I've been playing for a while but have just hit a plateau on my distances. First two discs in this video are a leopard and a teebird and were about 310'-320', and the second two are both rocs at 290'-300'. My first thoughts are that my weight shift and footwork seem a little bit off, but I can't pin it down. Thanks in advance for the help.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: RHBH
Your footwork is very complex in the beginning of your drive. Then you take two "normal" steps. Simpler the better IMO. So maybe take out the couple of shuffles and imply those two normal steps into creating more momentum. Also you you reach back before the X-step which is strange. By applying your weight that early makes it more difficult to bring it back and you completely loose the momentum the X-step is suppose to provide. Your arm and wrist seem spot on. Then at the end of the drive you can see that your weight is toward the back and in the mid section rather than being forward and more on that plant foot.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

As you can see the intense acceleration throughout the drive form. Keep practicing and you'll get up to 350ft or more.

Last edited by KatanaFrenzy; 09-22-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 48
So, erm, who are you? Giving out advice at .4 years played?
Old 09-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 58
Does it matter how long I have played? He wanted advise and I gave him my two cents on things that I learned in my short amount of experience. I think it was kind of me to imply my thoughts on his throws. I didn't see anywhere where my thoughts wouldn't be credited, but if my "lack of experience" makes people not take my advise then so be it. But if we are going by experience to give advise then please take the floor with your wisdom from 22 more years of disc golf than me. I am sure the OP would love to hear it.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
^ It's good advice and agree with it. OP your balance is too far behind your heels and trying too shift your weight around too much losing posture. That causes all kinds of issues with plane alignments. Good weight transfer just happens by maintaining good posture. Think of a washing machine, when all the clothes bunch up on one side and the machine wobbles and spins slower and less efficient. Try to keep your rear heel off the ground and keep your weight on the insides of your feet. Your front knee gets out in front of the brace of your front foot and lose posture. Check any of the shawn clement vids I've posted in this section:

Old 09-25-2012, 03:10 PM

Courses Played: 23
Thanks everyone for all the feedback, I definitely have some things to work on. Here is my video from field work today, I was mainly focusing on keeping on the ball of my foot on my non-plant foot, am I on the right track? I hit 330' with the first two throws (leopard and teebird) so I am assuming I'm doing something better, but I just want to make sure I'm making progress before I develop any bad habits. I know that I have a problem with a high reachback in these throws, that is an old habit I fall into when I am focusing on other parts of my throw but should be easy to fix once I get my footwork down. Thanks again.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Slightly better although still fairly flat footed. You are rotating your spine around the wrong leg axis(rear leg).
Check this out:
Old 09-25-2012, 07:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Also you turn back way early and turn forward early. Your max reach back should be as your front foot is landing. Try working your body around the disc into the backswing instead of moving the disc.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
I think you've got a little bit of cart-before-the-horse going here.

If I were you I'd nix all these extra little steps, I think they're confusing you. I can SEE you thinking your way through the approach, and guessing a little differently each time.

If you want to execute the standard X or "scissor" step approach, it's a 4-step approach. The easiest way IMO is to find a video of a pro with a similar build (and hopefully a game type you want to emulate) and watch what they do as each foot hits the ground.

Next, go out and try to emulate it. Don't actually throw any discs, but break down those 4 steps and pay attention to where your weight is as you practice the approach. Start out at 50% (walking speed) and work your way to full speed.

You can always add back in elements (steps, armswings, etc.) but I'd start simpler and build around it.