Old 10-09-2012, 02:40 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty5150 View Post
Does anyone else think there's something wrong when the winner's score is 48 under par; average 12 under per round for 4 rounds. I know this isn't bolf, but man, it doesn't seem right to me. The questions that come to my mind are, should the par for that course be lowered or is it just realistic that our top disc golfers are that much better than "par".

I'm curious what others think (and I apologize in advance for any ensuing thread derailment).
Par is correct. If anything you could argue it could be increased 1 with the change on 18.

The scores are simply a reflection of the OB rules.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
The scores are simply a reflection of the OB rules.
Good point, I never thought of that. I had a look at the 2010 scores and they look and feel much more realistic; to me anyway.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.6
Courses Played: 117
Yeah, if you want closer to "par", use stroke-and-distance and/or real obstacles (trees). And remove the outer chains. And disallow fairway run-ups.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Eagle Member

I was just thinking if someone who knows nothing about disc golf saw the scores, that would probably be one of the first things that might come to mind. 'holy crap those guys must be REALLY good!' and I'm wondering if they really are THAT good, or if it's something else.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 70
Quote:
Does anyone else think there's something wrong when the winner's score is 48 under par; average 12 under per round for 4 rounds. I know this isn't bolf, but man, it doesn't seem right to me. The questions that come to my mind are, should the par for that course be lowered or is it just realistic that our top disc golfers are that much better than "par".

I'm curious what others think (and I apologize in advance for any ensuing thread derailment).
I had a long discussion with my buddy about this on the drive home. This event has become a birdie race for the top players. The problem is that this is just not a suitable course to really test the top players. Good shots are rewarded the same as great shots. Only the bad shots are punished (and this year, not very severely).

As a result, the majority of holes played are birdies, pars are the result of mistakes, and bogeys are rare.

IMO, this makes the tournament less enjoyable to watch, and may be a contributing factor in the gradual downfall of this tournament as a spectator event.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 29
Yea the only thing you I watched was the diffrent groups tee off on hole one and bounced.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
I was just thinking if someone who knows nothing about disc golf saw the scores, that would probably be one of the first things that might come to mind. 'holy crap those guys must be REALLY good!' and I'm wondering if they really are THAT good, or if it's something else.
Well they are good, too. Look at their scores compared to guys "just" rated 1000 or 1010 in the field and you will see a big difference.

But instead of the winner around -20 like normal, you have these insane numbers. It's all realitve within the field, but like you said, compared to golf, our sport looks a lot easier (and mainly b/c it is).
Old 10-09-2012, 03:12 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 572
It's the fact that at this level, they mostly 1-putt each hole so the number of throws to the green plus 2 for par is not realistic. On hole 10 and 12, the par is for players who have to follow the roped fairway and not take the shortcuts available to the top guys whose par is really one lower than posted. The reason you see scores less under par on wooded courses like Charlotte is that they get to the green in regulation less often than Winthrop but they still 1-putt as often.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Well they are good, too. Look at their scores compared to guys "just" rated 1000 or 1010 in the field and you will see a big difference.

But instead of the winner around -20 like normal, you have these insane numbers. It's all realitve within the field, but like you said, compared to golf, our sport looks a lot easier (and mainly b/c it is).
yeah I'm not saying they're not that good. I've been around long enough so I get it, and I agree with you. Like it or not we get compared to bolf, and someone familiar with bolf would look at -48 and go "wtf???"

Old 10-09-2012, 03:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 118
Throwing Style: LHBH
I think it's simply that the players are that much better than "par".

We think it looks off to see such high under-par numbers because we're used to seeing ball golf scores where -10 for four rounds wins a lot of the time. And the biggest difference between the sports is putting. Disc golf putting is infinitely easier than ball golf putting.

Taking a quick look at PGA tour stats, it shows the best player on tour this year putting from 8 feet is Kevin Na at 71.43% made. If disc golf kept such a stat, at what distance would the best percentage on tour be to make it 71% of the time? 25 feet? 30 feet? 40 feet?

We make up a ton of strokes in the putting area relative to ball golf. I think grodney is on to it when he suggests removing the outer chains on the targets...something to make putting more of a challenge. That's what's needed to bring our elite players closer to "par", rather than deflating the par numbers.

Not that I'm advocating doing such a thing. I think our game is great the way it is on this front. But if we want to make the game tougher with an eye toward par, we need to make it tougher to convert good drives/approaches into eagles and birdies.