Old 10-10-2012, 08:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.3
Courses Played: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty5150 View Post
I've was thinking about this all night last night, and I think it's intriguing; pretty much exactly what you say Dave242 did is what I envisioned. I mean, it would really make you think about where on the green you want your shot to be (much like bolfers do). Opens up a whole new world for course designers as well. I mean, why do you have to be able to have access to the basket from 360 degrees? and having something that can be be movable to cover different sections/directions would be interesting .. imagine hole 17 at the USDGC had a blinder on the basket ... Saturday position, blocking the right side, would be cool.
Dave's might have only been 4-inches wide, as I think about it more. I remember having about a 15-footer, but it was dead on with the deflector. I missed it -- trying to sneak it in the side. I think an even thinner deflector might be more interesting. Maybe as skinny as a couple inches, thus allowing the player to try to finesse in a hyzer or anhyzer putt from distance. I don't know. One man's "out of the box" is another man's "hokey and stupid".
Old 10-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
One man's "out of the box" is another man's "hokey and stupid".
This is true. What ever happened to Fred the dentist anyway?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 AM
* Ace Member *

I'm sure he's still hitting "refresh" on rec.sport.disc, waiting for anyone else who shares his love of Y-trees, 6-foot discs, and aerial putting greens.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
Quote:
So I think there are about 3 options:

1) Keep using "reach the hole, plus 2" as a general concept for par, and accept the fact that DG will always be more under par than BG.

2) Deviate from DG and use "reach the hole, plus 1" as a general concept for par, and accept the fact that you can't really birdie a 1-shot hole (currently a par 3, would be a par 2).

3) Change the equipment (and rules?) enough to make a difference. Remove outer chains, smaller basket, directional targets, etc. No jump-putts, no fairway run-ups, no tee-shot run-ups, etc.
There are other theories of "par" that will accomplish this, as well. (See 945 other threads).

Also, designs with more x.3 holes will offset all of those x.7 holes. But there's some resistence to them, for the same reason as your #2---they're not birdieable, or almost not birdieable.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty5150 View Post
I've was thinking about this all night last night, and I think it's intriguing; pretty much exactly what you say Dave242 did is what I envisioned. I mean, it would really make you think about where on the green you want your shot to be (much like bolfers do). Opens up a whole new world for course designers as well. I mean, why do you have to be able to have access to the basket from 360 degrees? and having something that can be be movable to cover different sections/directions would be interesting .. imagine hole 17 at the USDGC had a blinder on the basket ... Saturday position, blocking the right side, would be cool.
We all know how Caddy Shack 2 was received. No need to gimmick up the sport. It would be like placing a brick infront of a ball golf hole because the course was playing too easy. Smaller baskets are fine, get some sponsors so we can create some beast courses....WE can make courses that are harder to score on... but then people complain they are too tight.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:58 AM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 101
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
WE can make courses that are harder to score on... but then people complain they are too tight.
Exactly!!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
It would be like placing a brick infront of a ball golf hole because the course was playing too easy.
That's narrower thinking than what dusty is doing. He's saying there's a good side and a bad side. In BG, most golfers want to have an uphill putt. Or even more obviously, if the pin is cut two paces off the left, with a deep bunker just left of that, you obviously want to play to the right. Anything left will be NEARLY un-makeable -- requiring great skill and and exceptional shot to make your next shot from that angle.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but I understand the openness of the thought.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
We all know how Caddy Shack 2 was received. No need to gimmick up the sport. It would be like placing a brick infront of a ball golf hole because the course was playing too easy. Smaller baskets are fine, get some sponsors so we can create some beast courses....WE can make courses that are harder to score on... but then people complain they are too tight.
Good points. I find the majority of people generically do not like change. I like the idea of smaller baskets. We have a course here that has original 1979/80 vintage baskets (not sure what model they'd be) and they are a nightmare to putt on. The guys that play there regularly are some of the best putters we have; deadly on DISCatchers. When I play there I find I'm focusing more on getting closer than I normally would to try and make the putt easier. I like having to think when I'm playing, not just huck around.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
I've seen baskets place near large trees, or a cluster of small trees on one side, that produce a very similar effect without changing the basket itself.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
That's narrower thinking than what dusty is doing. He's saying there's a good side and a bad side. In BG, most golfers want to have an uphill putt. Or even more obviously, if the pin is cut two paces off the left, with a deep bunker just left of that, you obviously want to play to the right. Anything left will be NEARLY un-makeable -- requiring great skill and and exceptional shot to make your next shot from that angle.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but I understand the openness of the thought.
exactly what I'm talking about. I don't see the same level of precision and thought required in DG, for the most part (USDGC excepted) and thats what I personally love about the game. Sometimes I'll play my home course from the longs with just a putter just so I can play the placement game.

I don't necessarily agree with directional targets either, just having a discussion cuz it seems interesting.