Old 10-12-2012, 11:25 AM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Blocking the basket - ie hole 12 at Sugaw in Charlotte - is terrible.

The margain of difference between a shot that has a open look for a putt and one that doesn't is insanely small when throwing from more than 100 feet or so, much less 250 like hole 12.

Any time you have a small margain of difference between a good shot a bad shot, the "L" word comes in and that's what makes a bad hole; when luck is required to succeed on the hole.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2012, 11:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.9
Courses Played: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
The margain of difference between a shot that has a open look for a putt and one that doesn't is insanely small when throwing from more than 100 feet or so
That's just simply not true. You can EASILY choose which side of the basket you want to err to from 100 feet. And good players easily can from 250.

Now, if you're trying to park it, yes, the margin is very thin. But that's part of the beauty of having a good side and a bad side. How much do you want to make sure you're on the good side?

See what I mean? Will you take a 25-50 footer to make sure you are unblocked side? Or do you want to be closer, and risk being blocked?
Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 115
It's one thing to have one side of the basket more difficult to putt on. It's another to have it be all-but-impossible.

If the obstacle is such that you have no real putt---can't straddle or stretch out either way or bend the shot---then you'll face the result that a players 10' from the basket, on the wrong side, ends up just laying up to the other side. A 12' layoup for a drop-in.

But if it's a matter of one side being much easier to putt than the other, I like it.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
It's one thing to have one side of the basket more difficult to putt on. It's another to have it be all-but-impossible.

If the obstacle is such that you have no real putt---can't straddle or stretch out either way or bend the shot---then you'll face the result that a players 10' from the basket, on the wrong side, ends up just laying up to the other side. A 12' layoup for a drop-in.

But if it's a matter of one side being much easier to putt than the other, I like it.
Agreed. You could replace Dave242's board with say a 1.5" or 2" diameter abs/pvc pipe ... that would make putts from that side more difficult, but still makeable.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:12 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
Here's a different way to provide more putting challenge without blocking the basket on one side. I drew this mockup on a bullseye basket. There would be three curved 1" diam pipes connecting the chain support with the basket installed 120 degrees apart (N-ESE-WSW). Depending where the player lands they would always have one and sometimes two directions accessible to the basket but would have to curve their putt similar to how a putt on a ball golf green has to be adjusted for slope.

From the front, the player would have pretty much the same straight on putting zone as currently and might even get a few ricochets into the basket off the bars. However, if they don't land their approach in one of the three positions providing a straight on putt, they have a slightly to more tricky putt that is still doable but requires more skill to curve it in. The basket is never blocked.

The pipes could even be made strong enough to support the chains without needing a center pipe. Currently installed baskets could be modified to this design with a conversion kit where the bars are bolted on and the outer chain set removed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 bar bullseye concept.jpg (35.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 10-12-2012, 12:19 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
I was mainly referring to hole 12 at Sugaw - the board on the basket reminded me of it.

There is no consistent place on that hole. And entire blocker like the one in the pic? eh, not crazy about it, but it's not the worst idea I've heard.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 30
I dunno about any of this (the bar to block a portion of the basket). Why not just put trees or bushes on one side of the basket. Or some poles or a fence or something. That makes it "tougher to putt" without artificially making the basket asymmetrical. (Plus not all baskets I've seen lock in place - some can spin a little.)

Last edited by iacas; 10-12-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
I was mainly referring to hole 12 at Sugaw - the board on the basket reminded me of it.

There is no consistent place on that hole. And entire blocker like the one in the pic? eh, not crazy about it, but it's not the worst idea I've heard.
I've only played Sugaw once, but I thought there was a favorable side (right, and beyond basket) and an unfavorable side (short and left). With the favorable not being totally unobstructed, but puttable with a little alteration in stance or throw.

I'm not sure Dave's board is too wide, but anything much wider---especially earlier suggestions to block half the basket---would create a "dead zone" which might add challenge to the drive or upshot, but also result in the 10' layups.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 43
Quote:

Do you mean hole 14 at Sugaw where the basket is in the crepe myrtle?

Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 178
Brett sort of achieved this with his double stack at Round Barn. Similar to that hole at Sugaw.

Last time I played there I noticed one of the tree trunks on the right side was cut down to create another opening. If you land short or right of the basket, you have a relatively clear putt at it. You might have to straddle a bit if you go too deep on the right side. If you go behind it entirely you are probably not going to make it in, but you can try. I thought it was neat - made you plan on where to land your drive. The hole is only 200-some feet so it's not a very difficult shot to place, but it's enough to get in people's heads.

Another thing to note is that I threw a great drive that landed at the right opening and the putt still presented a challenge. I push putt with some hyzer on the disc, and the opening in the trunks did not allow for that putt. I had to throw a more or less straight putt with the disc flat. I kind of enjoyed the fact that it made me putt in a way I don't usually putt.