Old 09-19-2012, 03:50 AM

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 215
Throwing Style: RHBH
200+ courses for Minnesota

A quick search shows that there are now 203 permanent or seasonal courses in Minnesota. Also it was recently announced that the twin cities will be hosting the 2014 Am Worlds. Even though it is still a long ways in the future, since there are so many quality courses in the area to choose from, it is never too early to start speculating about which ones should be selected for worlds. I assume the majestic courses will be in, (Blue Ribbon Pines, Kaposia, and Hyland Hills) but what other courses should be used?

Also Minnesota joins California, Texas, and Wisconsin as the only states with 200+ courses, although Michigan (191), Iowa (185), and Illinois (183) are not too far behind. Rhode Island with only ONE ?!? course has some catching up to do...
Old 09-19-2012, 07:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.6
Courses Played: 101
And to think there are several courses that have been pulled and no longer in the ground in Minnesota. Just a few that I grew up playing as an example....

Northwoods
Lone Lake
Theodore Wirth (there's been courses there twice and both pulled)
Braemer

And several others...Chuck Kennedy, Joe Feit and Lyle Jensen can fill you in on the others.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 51
Congrats on 200. Oklahoma needs a lot more. I would love to have that variety.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 51
Also the Am Worlds will bring pub and might increase the amount of courses available too.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 544
I was sad to recently see a list of California extinct courses recently, I ment an old timer who had a list of 61 extinct courses in California and a new of a few others. JUst think MN probably has a ton of others to. DGCR has like 600+ extinct courses, so sad.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadjo View Post
And to think there are several courses that have been pulled and no longer in the ground in Minnesota. Just a few that I grew up playing as an example....

Northwoods
Lone Lake
Theodore Wirth (there's been courses there twice and both pulled)
Braemer

And several others...Chuck Kennedy, Joe Feit and Lyle Jensen can fill you in on the others.

Theodore wirth is in again as its been there 2 years on the 9 hole exec golf course. Wish I got to play lone lake

I would guess for sure courses in am worlds will be

Blue Ribbon Pines-East Bethel
Kaposia-South St Paul
The Valley-Inver Grove Heights

The Valley and Kaposia are 2 miles apart on the same road and were used for the majestic this year. Others I would say would be good to use are

CP Adams-Hastings
Lakewood Hills-White Bear Lake
Elm Creek-Maple Grove
Hyland Ski-Bloomington
Crown College-St Bonnifacious
Todd Park-Austin
Maiden Shade-Morristown
Cedar Creek-Fairmont

A few here are a long ways from the metro but good courses to use. I would like to see Lakewood Hills used, CP Adams as well. Solid courses and they are non majestic courses with a few holes that just challenge the best of players to get 3's on. Of course there are a few easy deuces on each as well.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion View Post
I was sad to recently see a list of California extinct courses recently, I ment an old timer who had a list of 61 extinct courses in California and a new of a few others. JUst think MN probably has a ton of others to. DGCR has like 600+ extinct courses, so sad.

I personally know of over 10 that are gone with a few others such as Ham Lake and Acorn in serious danger of being pulled with the vandalism issue as well as flooding.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by timj5304 View Post
I personally know of over 10 that are gone with a few others such as Ham Lake and Acorn in serious danger of being pulled with the vandalism issue as well as flooding.
Ham Lake was a nice course, especially the holes after the softball field. The issue with Ham is that it is in BRP's shadow. Why play Ham when you can drive 10 more minutes? Because of that Ham did not see the traffic necessary to scare away those who would vandlize the park. Shame. Like I said, nice and challenging.

Acorn, well that suffers from the opposite. It has so much traffic that it is just a numbers game. Eventually some vandal is going to show up who thinks he or she is entitled to cause damage. Have they repaired the basket on Hole 6 yet?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 88
How far are people willing to drive for a multi-day tournament? With a little more refinement Hidden Lake in St. Augusta is definitely a Championship level course.

For better or worse, Kaposia is always going to be on this list. Too much history no matter what layout it is currently sporting. BRP only keeps getting better, and if a Championship is definitely going to use it, I see Ray finally finishing that island hole he has been dreaming about for four years. The Valley, it has its proximity to Kaposia to thank. It is a tough course. If they add back in the temp holes they used during the Majestic, then I would be all for it. I loved teeing off from way up on the top of the hill on Hole 7.

I hated CP Adams. Too easy with no OB, too manufactured with OB. It has some nice holes here and there, but I hated competing competitively there during the Go Cart Open II. I hate to bad mouth my home course but Elm Creek should not be included. There is no scoring spread there.

I do think Lakewood Hills would be a good choice if you can close down the park and clean up some of the woods around the new holes. My only concern is how close together the baskets are on Holes 2, 5, and 8.

Regardless of where we go, I am really looking forward to Worlds being here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj5304 View Post
Theodore wirth is in again as its been there 2 years on the 9 hole exec golf course. Wish I got to play lone lake

I would guess for sure courses in am worlds will be

Blue Ribbon Pines-East Bethel
Kaposia-South St Paul
The Valley-Inver Grove Heights

The Valley and Kaposia are 2 miles apart on the same road and were used for the majestic this year. Others I would say would be good to use are

CP Adams-Hastings
Lakewood Hills-White Bear Lake
Elm Creek-Maple Grove
Hyland Ski-Bloomington
Crown College-St Bonnifacious
Todd Park-Austin
Maiden Shade-Morristown
Cedar Creek-Fairmont

A few here are a long ways from the metro but good courses to use. I would like to see Lakewood Hills used, CP Adams as well. Solid courses and they are non majestic courses with a few holes that just challenge the best of players to get 3's on. Of course there are a few easy deuces on each as well.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Eagle Member

Ok so am worlds is 8 rounds in 5 days including a final 9. Here is my proposal for it

Day #1, start in St. Cloud, MN 60 miles north of the cities. Courses to use that day are Millstream and Hidden Lake about 10 miles apart

Day #2, play Elm Creek Park Reserve in Maple Grove so the distance is not so crazy between St. Cloud and the rest, it will be more of a 40ish mile difference.

Day #3, play 2 rounds again, long drive but down to Kaposia and North Valley about 2 miles apart

Day #4, play Hyland Ski in Bloomington the majestic Sunday morning layout

Day #5, play at Blue Ribbon Pines and do the final 9 there as well, could be some sweet safari holes!

I personally like the branching out, what else would be sweet is playing down at Castle Rock but sadly its not open