Old 09-26-2012, 09:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Thumbs up Joshua Tree-LA 10/7 and Chicago 10/8 or 10/9

Heading out to Joshua Tree for a wedding 10/4-6... planning on renting a car and driving back to LA to catch a flight on the 7th. Would like to play 2-3 courses before I leave. Then flying to Chicago and would like to set up a day (either 8th or 9th) for a full day of play. In Chicago I'll be up on the north side and all of the good golf looks like it is south so I'll have a car again for the day.

In Cali I'm looking at Yucaipa, Prado, La Mirada, Chavez Ridge...there's more than I can play in one day. I'm considering getting a hotel and playing on 10/8 as well if I can line up some people to play with. I have no problem playing by myself but that's no fun

In Chicago I'll be staying in Lincoln Square, east of O'Hare. Looking at The Oaks and a few courses in Joliet. It's about an hour drive but nothing in the immediate area looks worthwhile if I've only got one day.

Looking for advice on where/when to play and people to play with on any of these days. Send me a PM or post up and let me know what to do! Thanks in advance.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHFH
Go north of the border to Grey Fox in WI. Never played there but has good reviews. Adler Park is only 9 but is not bad on the way to Grey. Unfortunately, the signage is poor at Adler when I played there this summer.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 AM
* Ace Member *

grey fox looks nice. it's a little bit longer of a drive but may be easier since i won't be cutting through the city. there is also the UW Campus course nearby, so there's 2. Doesn't look like there's much else in the area though. I don't have to play 'only the best' courses and am not a snob by any means, but I want to play decent courses and make it worth the driving time and $$ I'm spending to make this happen.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 255
If i were you I'd head to the Joliet area. There is some decent stuff there. It would be a decent day of discin! Maybe I can meet up after I get outta work or something?

EDIT: Grey Fox and UW parkside are good stops too but I'd assume the other course at UW (orchid) is unplayable due to insane overgrowth of the tall grass. Joliet area has about 7 decent courses worth checking out.

Last edited by TheWCG; 09-26-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:16 PM
* Ace Member *

what are your recommendations for joliet? what days/times are good for you?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 165
I saw you were considering playing The Oaks - save yourself the boredom. The course is mostly 300-range hyzers around mature oaks. After a while you forget what hole you're on because everything is the same. Beautiful park though.

When you're down there, I would recommend playing Highland Park, Trinity Links, West Park (if you're into the old school courses), Channahon, and Round Barn. Hopefully Round Barn will have tee signs installed by then, otherwise print a map and hole info (for distances) to aid in navigation. It's a new course and not really easy to follow without signs. Those courses should keep you busy.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:23 PM
* Ace Member *

thanks for the info, i'll keep those in mind.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 386
Don't forget about Summit!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 180
Do yourself a favor and hit Sky High. It's far better than anything you'll find in the LA basin. After you leave there, take the other route back to LA 138 -> 14 -> 210 and hit Sylmar.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
I saw you were considering playing The Oaks - save yourself the boredom. The course is mostly 300-range hyzers around mature oaks. After a while you forget what hole you're on because everything is the same. Beautiful park though.

When you're down there, I would recommend playing Highland Park, Trinity Links, West Park (if you're into the old school courses), Channahon, and Round Barn. Hopefully Round Barn will have tee signs installed by then, otherwise print a map and hole info (for distances) to aid in navigation. It's a new course and not really easy to follow without signs. Those courses should keep you busy.
Highland is the best of that group; by far. Grey Fox; (depending on what buckets are in) long is comparable to Highland from a toughness/enjoyment stand point.

Summitt offers a very unique "pin ball" round.

The original at UW is comparable to Trinity or West, good old school style. Oaks as good as Trinity; but it is repetitious in a beautiful park. You also can not smoke cigs, or drink, there or, be under penalty of a big fine; if that is a consideration.

So, Joilet offers more options; and Highland is a very fine course, that I have pretty high on my favorites. Have not played Round Barn, but, from what I've heard, it's probably the second best of the area; after Highland.

Last edited by tallpaul; 09-26-2012 at 12:48 PM.