Old 09-26-2012, 12:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDriveBadPutt View Post
Don't forget about Summit!!!
Summit is a very unique "pin ball" course.

(I've played over 100 courses in each state) and Highland is one of my very favorite courses for Illinois. However, Grey Fox, in longs, is considered top twenty for Wisco as well; so, both of those are super options. Check on the pin situation for Grey Fox though.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 178
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
Highland is the best of that group; by far. Grey Fox; (depending on what buckets are in) long is comparable to Highland from a toughness/enjoyment stand point.

Summitt offers a very unique "pin ball" round.

The original at UW is comparable to Trinity or West, good old school style. Oaks as good as Trinity; but it is repetitious in a beautiful park. You also can not smoke cigs, or drink, there or, be under penalty of a big fine; if that is a consideration.

So, Joilet offers more options; and Highland is a very fine course, that I have pretty high on my favorites. Have not played Round Barn, but, from what I've heard, it's probably the second best of the area; after Highland.
I don't know when was the last time you played Trinity, but the guys there are always working and tweaking the course. They now have concretes for both long and short tees. Hole 2 has been pushed back and basket is hanging on a tree. I prefer that course to The Oaks any day. At Trinity I get to throw all kinds of lines. At The Oaks it's either a hyzer or a straight shot for pretty much every hole.

I agree, Highland Park would be the one to start with. Round Barn isn't necessarily better than the rest of the courses, but it has a much different feel from the rest of the J-Town courses. The land is similar to Mokena with maybe slightly more elevation change and obviously there is water on a few holes. The reason I like the course is despite the relatively open feel of the park, Brett has positioned the tees and pins in such a way that it still makes you throw a wide vareity of shots. It's definitely very neat to play. The ending is a bit dull, and Brett is upset about that because that's not quite how he designed it. The guys tweaked his design without telling him right before getting the course installed. He's trying to see if he can tweak it again to spice it up a bit.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Summit is a very unique "pin ball" course.

(I've played over 100 courses in each state) and Highland is one of my very favorite courses for Illinois. However, Grey Fox, in longs, is considered top twenty for Wisco as well; so, both of those are super options. Check on the pin situation for Grey Fox though.
Grey Fox is in all longs right now. Hopefully that will stay into next week. rocthecourse would be the guy to ask for updates on these forums, he seems to frequent the course quite often.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 740
^^^I wasn't giving Trinity proper credit. I enjoyed the college course a lot also, but it does not appear that Lewisville is the one I was thinking of; as the course I'm thinking of, has some interesting shots involving parking lots and such....?notroman, is that Lewisville? If so, it's probably my next favorite, after Trinity, and before The Oaks and West Park.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
^^^I wasn't giving Trinity proper credit. I enjoyed the college course a lot also, but it does not appear that Lewisville is the one I was thinking of; as the course I'm thinking of, has some interesting shots involving parking lots and such....?notroman, is that Lewisville? If so, it's probably my next favorite, after Trinity, and before The Oaks and West Park.
I have not played the college course you're talking about, but looking at the map I think you may be talking about Lewis University in Romeoville (I figure that's how you would get Lewisville). I didn't see any parking lots in the course pictures, but I did see a very tiny, possibly flooded and unintentional, island green on hole 6.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 815
Good suggestions, I'm with roman and paul on highland being the top choice in the Joliet area. If you go on Monday I could meet yOu down there around 4 and join you for a couple rounds.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 66
after checking out some of the courses, i'm leaning towards highland, west park, and round barn. maybe summit on the way down, or back if it's not too dark. looks like it could be played quick, and i like shorter tech courses like that. i'm feeling tempted to keep the car for a second day and drive down for the lemon lake courses as well!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 66
for cali, i'm thinking about hitting yucaipa on the way out to JT on the 4th, then trying to squeeze in la mirada, prado, and either van buren or el dorado on the way out of town on the 7th.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 42
Although Summit is a super fun course, I wouldn't waste time on it unless you're literally driving right past it and wanna play a quick round. If you do decide on it, play it with someone that's played there before to help point you in the right direction. Can be a little ridiculous with how grown in everything is and not being able to see the baskets. Some of the lines won't even make sense till you've played it once. Plus there's really no long holes - You can basically play the course with a putter.

I triple/quadruple the opinion on Highland and Trinity. Play a couple rounds at each and they are both super close to each other!

Old 09-28-2012, 08:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 544
options 1-4 for california

1. The only way you will be able to play Yucaipa is if you get to the course by 7:30am. Yucaipa is having a tourney that weekend and its a good course, but if you get there at that time you should be able to finish the round by 9am. From here you could drive an hour straight to Chavez Ridge off the same freeway and #23 in the state with 20 reviews. From Chavez ridge its the same distance to Oak Grove (where it all started) or Verdugo Hills. I really like verdugo hills because the 18 hole course there has lots of cool shots, manicured greens, shade, OB, tons of elevation, will allow you to throw every shot in the bag, and it has 2 tees per hole with either tee not being any easier, just giving you a different look. From Verdugo its easy to get to LAX.

2. Wrightwood is Cali's currently rate #1 course and #20 on the top rated courses in the country with 20 votes. Its an hour from Yucaipa, 27 holes of mountain golf might be nice and much cooler (7200-7400 feet elevation) . From there its 1 hour an 20 minutes to 1 hour and 40 minutes to either Oak grove (where it all started) or Sylmar. Sylmar is California's #6 course with 20 reviews and an excellent choice. From Sylmar its easy to get to LAX.

3. Say you skip Yucaipa and wrightwood and want to go a different route then sure go play Van Buren in Riverside Ca and make sure you get a cart. Its a fun course with good lines and risky shots. Some nice par 4's to boot. From here jam over to Prado Regional Park (Cali's #20 course with 20+ reviews) 30 minutes away. I like this course aswell with elevation, water,ob, length, and the beauty. If you still have time for another course then you could play Whittier Narrows (3.17 with 18 reviews) thats only 35 minutes away and its along the way to the airport.

4. Here is another choice, wake up early and leave Joshua tree at 5-5:30 in the morning and drive straight to La mirada. There you have the 12th and 18th rated courses in the state with 20+ votes. Solid 3.9 and 3.6 rated courses. I would play both of these courses and with the traffic there is always people playing there, Wont be stupid crowd early and you should be fine. If you still have time for more golf then go play El Dorado in Long beach 20 minutes away. Its the #19 course in the state. From there Huntington Beach is also 20 minutes away and #26 in the state. All these courses are in the LA area and getting to the airport should be fine.

Snappyfingers is a good person to contact if you play either Sylmar, Oak Grove, or Chavez.

I most likely will be out of town that weekend or I could show you plenty, sorry.

Please try the Socal disc golf club on DGCR for people to meet up and play with, there is a large group.

Last edited by lion; 09-28-2012 at 09:03 AM.