Old 05-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Does accepting cash in a league make you a pro?

At league yesterday, the "pros" were trying to get me to play up, but I want to keep my amateur status (I ended up beating them by 4 ). I keep on hearing a rumor that if you are allowed to take cash in league play and not have it affect your amateur status. Is this true?

In addition, if I play some tournaments as a pro and some as an Am and always decline cash, can I register as AM the following year? Do I still accrue pro points? Can I qualify and register for pro worlds as an amateur due to not having ever accepted cash, but accruing enough pro points?

The only statement that I can find on the PDGA website is here.

Quote:
A player relinquishes Amateur status by registering as a Professional member in the PDGA, or by competing in a Professional division at a PDGA Tour event and accepting cash based on place of finish.
What I would like to do is to play pro tournaments next year and get enough points to go to pro worlds in Pittsburgh in 2015. But, I would also like to play in the big amateur tournaments next year, thus I would need to keep my amateur status through next year.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:21 AM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 210
Pro points and Am points are seperate. If I played in the Seneca Soiree Pro tournament I would not recieve points for Ams.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
Pro points and Am points are seperate. If I played in the Seneca Soiree Pro tournament I would not recieve points for Ams.
Right right. But I can still get pro points even if I am classified as an Am, correct?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Par Member

You can continue to play pro and accept plastic in lieu of cash. The top players in North Carolina regularly do this to try to win the majors. Of course non sanctioned tournaments will never affect your PDGA status . The PDGA will never require you to play pro as long as you accept plastic.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Down View Post
You can continue to play pro and accept plastic in lieu of cash. The top players in North Carolina regularly do this to try to win the majors. Of course non sanctioned tournaments will never affect your PDGA status . The PDGA will never require you to play pro as long as you accept plastic.
Sorry. It should be noted that it is a PDGA league.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 315
I've been noticing with the PDGA leagues that payouts are not posted. I honestly can't tell you if it is the same with the TD report.

Last edited by scarpfish; 05-06-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmo65 View Post
Right right. But I can still get pro points even if I am classified as an Am, correct?

Yes. You will get points in both. Once you accept cash in a pro event you will be ineligible from entering majors for AMS. If you are rated under 970 and become pro by taking cash you can still play AM A,B,&C-tiers but would not be eligible for majors. But it looks like you want to get points for Pro worlds so you will be fine. Accrue points in Pro events, accept plastic in lieu of cash to retain AM status. This will allow you to play both worlds If thats what you want to do.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Par Member

Now as for league play Im not totally sure since its pretty new to PDGA. I would guess that since its sanctioned and you accept cash, then you relinquish your AM status. Ill ask around.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Par Member

Man Im not even thinking about my own experiences. I played in a sanctioned league all last year as as an AM in the Pro division. Accepted cash several times. I was still invited to AM worlds this year. On my PDGA stats page http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/50519/2012 I accepted cash in the Johnson Street League and the Barber League many times. It does not report in the cash column that I have received any cash. So my guess is that you can remain AM while accepting cash in league play. I consider my self AM and will be playing AM events this year.

Last edited by 18Down; 05-06-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 58
How does league scoring work for final awards and payouts?
From the League FAQ:
TDs can run their leagues pretty much however they run them now using best average scores, a points system, best 4 of 10 finish positions or handicaps to determine nightly and final league standings. Payouts will not be reported to the PDGA so amateurs may even get cash payouts if the TD prefers and they will not lose their amateur standing.