Old 05-02-2013, 02:47 AM
Par Member

Finding mentors

Something happened today that got me thinking about where could I find a disc golf mentor who could help me improve my game? I don't have any friends that are really into disc golf. I am their mentor, and they only play casually. I've thought about leagues, but to be honest, the local members didn't look too inviting, a lot of drinking, smoking, drugs, which I'm not too keen on. The only substance I need to have a good time is plastic in my hand, a target and a sunny day.

Anyway, so I was finishing up a solo round at my local park when I met this 60 year old lady who was carrying two discs. I guess she was kind of just throwing around. She was super cheerful and very friendly. She literally looked like a typical, nice, grandma.

This is out of the ordinary, because the usual disc golf crowd at my local course are usually men who are drinking, smoking, getting high. I have seen so many drug deals go down on the disc golf course.

She saw me throw on the last hole and was like, wow that's so straight. How do you hold your disc? So I preceded to show her what I was doing to make it go so straight. It was only 200ft hole.

She asked me if I was done for the day, and I said no, I was planning on going one more round. She perked up and asked me if she could join me for a few holes just to try and pick up a few things. I was like, sure, the company would be welcome and I don't mind teaching what I can.

Well, we tee off at the first hole. She basically does an awkward standing throw, I am sure you can imagine what it looks like. It goes maybe 50 feet, up, and dives left. She's throwing RHBH. I later find out she's actually left handed but was injured and was trying to throw with the opposite in hopes it would teach her better when she could use her left again.

I was actually amazed at her ability to pick up the game. This was her second time playing ever. And she had only played a few holes in her life before. I was even impressed by the discs she bought. She had gone to the local sports store and had picked up an Aviar P&A, a DX Shark, and DX Leopard. I told her those were great discs to learn with and she should stick with them.

So we took our time and we would let people behind us play through so I could take time to show her things to correct her form, explain how her discs worked, and to get the nose down. The first 5 holes were rough, but she was persistent and showed no signs of giving up.

But then on hole 6 it changed. She finally started getting a feel for the nose down and the motion of using her hips to start her throw and she "ripped" her shark and it went so much further and straighter than anything she had been throwing so far. She was so excited. I told her when she gets more speed and power into her throws, the disc will literally rip out of her hand. She had been skeptical at first but after she threw that throw, she was like "my fingers are tingly!" meaning she had felt the rip because she was starting to build enough speed and form to force the disc out.

Then on hole 8, which is a very short hole. 180 feet but technical. It is a super narrow tunnel shot you have to throw dead straight down. I throw and my disc goes straight but fades about 25 feet to the left and behind the basket. She gets up there and starts her routine and goes through the checklist of things I had told her to focus on, hips, elbow, nose down, snap and then she lets it rip. I have never seen such a good throw on that hole before in my life. She rips it DEAD STRAIGHT down the tunnel fairway with her leopard. It was super flat the whole way and it just cruised along maybe 5 feet off the ground before slowly coming to a rest, parked a little bit past the basket. I was a little shocked, I think she was too, you can imagine how she must have felt considering how she was throwing from the first hole.

We end up playing a whole round together and at the end she thanks me and I told her no problem, I just wish I had someone who could have helped me out when I was starting. I'm still learning myself but it's hard to find someone who can teach me. Which leads me to ask, have any of you found any good ways to find someone who can mentor you?

Last edited by Asian Style; 05-02-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
I don't drink or smoke, but all the guys at my mini do. I don't let it bother me, most of the guys are nice dudes but also badass at disc golf.

I'd suggest just playing minis and talking to guy who runs it. Ours is a great guy who helps when he can. That's what he did for me. He let's me try different discs out of his bag and helps me with my form.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:02 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
That post might help you right here!! I posted something a while back about learning and I meet 2 awesome guys that have helped me and given me some direction. Thanks Brian ( El Kabong) and Micah (Boogyhack).
Old 05-02-2013, 03:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 42
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...Mc0midxWiVBZf8
I live in a fairly isolated Disc Golf area. My mentors were in Videos. I found a few I liked (mainly Vibram Open and MSDGC footage early on) and tried to emulate those guys. I watched over and over for the entertainment and improvement value. Over a few years I went from an 859 guy to a 970ish guy between casual play, out of town tournaments and a steady barrage of videos. Maybe this won't do much, but it certainly won't hurt to see guys who really know what theyre doing.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:10 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthbndr View Post
I don't drink or smoke, but all the guys at my mini do. I don't let it bother me, most of the guys are nice dudes but also badass at disc golf.

I'd suggest just playing minis and talking to guy who runs it. Ours is a great guy who helps when he can. That's what he did for me. He let's me try different discs out of his bag and helps me with my form.
The drinking doesn't bother me too much as long as they don't become obnoxious drunk or litter. The smoke from the smoking just makes me nauseous, don't really have a problem with the smoker there unless they litter. Now I sound like a litter nazi, but I'm not, I swear, I just don't like it when people are inconsiderate. Yesterday I put out a cigarette that was still smoking that someone had left behind in the freaking leaves of the park. And I am pretty dang sure it was a disc golfer.

I don't even know what a mini is, lol. Are you talking about leagues? The league that I saw has no website or anything. It's so grassroots. I'm a bit intimidated to try and get in with them. I'm sure a lot of them are nice, but uh...they just don't give off a very friendly vibe if you know what I mean?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:12 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcr_russell View Post
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...Mc0midxWiVBZf8
I live in a fairly isolated Disc Golf area. My mentors were in Videos. I found a few I liked (mainly Vibram Open and MSDGC footage early on) and tried to emulate those guys. I watched over and over for the entertainment and improvement value. Over a few years I went from an 859 guy to a 970ish guy between casual play, out of town tournaments and a steady barrage of videos. Maybe this won't do much, but it certainly won't hurt to see guys who really know what theyre doing.
I watch a ton of videos and read lots of articles. I'm way nerdy on this right now, it's kind of embarrassing. Sidewinder has been helping me out a lot with video analysis but it's not quite the same as being by the person when you see them try and shape a shot for a hole, you know what I mean?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 127
Hang out on hole 3 or 4. Watch people play 1 and 2 and if they look better than you, ask if you can play with.

When I catch up to people on the course, I will usually just play through quickly without offering any advice. If however, they stop and ask me some questions, I have no problem stopping and playing with them. This has happened to me before when they saw me have a drop in deuce on a long hole that took them three throws to get to. I ended up giving them tips throughout the round and enjoyed helping them.

tldr: Just ask!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 43
Good luck finding a Crew that doesnt have a couple guys having beers or smoking cigarettes. I welcome anyone and so should you. High and Mighty much? After all this is Disc Golf we are talking about not Polo. Loosen up a little bit DiscGolfers are nice people, alot of them just happen to drink and smoke... NOT ALL of them. Now for the thing you mentioned about having a mentor. I picked the best guy in town and watched him throw. He happened to be Left handed so I could mirror what he was doing. Since apparently he has no idea what he does HA. Now some 5-6 years later we play doubles tournaments together! Good Luck and Enjoy the sport!
Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asian Style View Post
The drinking doesn't bother me too much as long as they don't become obnoxious drunk or litter. The smoke from the smoking just makes me nauseous, don't really have a problem with the smoker there unless they litter. Now I sound like a litter nazi, but I'm not, I swear, I just don't like it when people are inconsiderate. Yesterday I put out a cigarette that was still smoking that someone had left behind in the freaking leaves of the park. And I am pretty dang sure it was a disc golfer.

I don't even know what a mini is, lol. Are you talking about leagues? The league that I saw has no website or anything. It's so grassroots. I'm a bit intimidated to try and get in with them. I'm sure a lot of them are nice, but uh...they just don't give off a very friendly vibe if you know what I mean?
they never do. you will eventually play with someone who is friendly and also friends with those dg snobs. then you will be invited to play a rojnd with them. there's your "in" and then you learn all abojt the local events and happenings.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:59 AM

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpro View Post
High and Mighty much? After all this is Disc Golf we are talking about not Polo. Loosen up a little bit
He is High and Mighty because he doesn't want to throw a round with guys getting high, drinking, etc..?

I am a teacher, 4th grade, and I am sure if I saw one of my kids and/or their parents at the park while I was throwing a round with a guy drinking a beer, smoking a joint, etc. nothing good would come out of it for me. I don't concider myself High and Mighty, I just like my job.