Old 09-28-2012, 12:59 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Form help

Hey guys, just looking for some advise on backhand form. I have a ton of questions and I am always looking for suggestion (especially with explanations). I had an old thread but it expired, so here is a new one.

First off, I recently took an unwanted break form playing because I had to focus on school. Now that things are starting to stabilize I can get back into this "improving thing". I feel like this is a good time to revamp my entire form.

Some comments about how these throws felt and what I am trying to accomplish:

- The discs really felt fast coming out of my hand and I did not feel like they came out too early. This might have some timing implications.
- I used to pull the discs across my chest very high (almost a shoulder level) so that is something I am working on fixing.
- I also used to have a nose angle problem that would cause an airbounce and add stability, height, and distance issues.
- I know I need to go back and work things out from a stand still point, and if Fate is kind, I can upload a video of that here tomorrow.

Thanks and critique away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tolpljkXs_A
Old 09-28-2012, 06:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
The first thing I'd try to improve is your baby x-step into a full fledged hop. You've got a pretty consistent pull, and what seems to be real good, smooth arm acceleration. I don't see any jerky motion or unnatural positioning from the torso.

How far are you throwing? It seems to me just a matter of generating more lower body power, and that's just a matter of video trial-and-error until you find what clicks IMO. Practice really pushing off into that X-step - like a hop and then planting and delivering the disc through your hit point.

...oh and nose up stuff is just your wrist IMO. Just put more thumb pressure and don't let up until well after your release and you'll train that right out.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 106
Your balance is too far behind your heels and flatfooted and you spin out. Stay off the rear heel, you will feel a different loading and weight transfer. You can try double hopping on the rear foot and should feel quite a different balance.

You start the backswing a little early and the forward swing. Keep the disc in place and work your body around the disc more into the max reach back. Stay relaxed until the front foot begins to brace your spine. You also open the shoulder early and don't quite get the elbow forward of the front shoulder. Your aiming will change to feel more backward.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:04 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
@Jtacoma03 - I was throwing an assortment of discs there ranging from mids to higher speed fairway drivers. I got my Buzzzes about... 330-350 ft when the nose was not up. I appreciate your advise on the wrist thing. It is something I have always struggled with. I am going out tomorrow so I will give it a go.

@Sidewinder22- How do I do a double hop? Is the goal to stay on my toes (on the back foot)? Also, I am assuming that is the left foot (for my RHBHed self). Last question, when I do this correctly, will it feel like I am throwing the disc more "behind" me?

Thanks!

Old 09-29-2012, 02:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 106
Yep. Something like this:
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.