Disc Golf Store
Old 10-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
If you can take out the one Aviar, do so.

I personally do not like clutter in the midrange section, but that's a dilemma you're going to have to figure out for yourself.

Drop the Nukes - the Flow will go PLENTY far Drop the SS too, your Roadrunner is screaming rollers lol

@KniceZ --- Yes the Flow is as fast as the numbers indicate, but the number system itself is fairly arbitrary. Usually, it goes by rim width (higher=wider)...but for discs like the Flow or Rampage, they're noticeably more aerodynamic than their rim width [speed number] would indicate. To make that a little more clear, a Nuke and a Rampage both have a 2.5 cm rim width, but if you look at them side by side the Rampage is without a double a bit sharper. Almost forgot, which numbers were you actually referring to?

Last but not least, drop the Whitler if need be.

Just a few thoughts, I'm curious to hear back
Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 56
thanks for all of the comments so far guys; really made me think about the Nukes. I'm playing a tournament this weekend and I'm going to go with this bag:

9x aviar, grid stamp aviar, 71 mold
dx roc, hornet
tracker, flow, roadrunner, predator

I'll report back Monday.

Last edited by dusty5150; 10-02-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Eagle Member

so this past weekend I played probably the most consistent disc golf I've played in a while, shooting 55+55+53+55 to come in second by 3 strokes in advanced. I carried:

9x aviar (2 for warm-up/backup), grid stamp aviar, 71mold
dx xd, dx roc, z hornet
opto flow, esp tracker, z predator, star RR, pro wraith

In hindsight I probably could have left the tracker and wraith out, as I quickly got comfortable with the flow (vs. tracker) and was rolling the roadrunner a lot (vs. airing the wraith - the course kinda dictated a lot of roller opportunities).

I did pick up some super flat Ti Wasps that I'm hoping will replace the hornet. Quite a few years ago I carried a z wasp for an overstable mid,but I lost the one I had and went to the Hornet. As soon as I got one of these flat Ti Wasps in my hand i was in love!

So I'm thinking I could probably get down to 10 discs;

9x, grid aviar, 71
dx xd, dx roc, Ti wasp
RR, flow, pred, wraith

I haven't decided on pro/champ plastic for the wraith (don't like the stars for some reason), and i grabbed some glow roadrunners that feel really sweet, so we'll see how they roll.

Last edited by dusty5150; 10-08-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 17
The setup is really rounding into shape - I don't think I could play without Wasp's and I think they'll always have a place in my bag.

I feel, and your comments also suggest, that the Wraith & Flow are very similar. You may want consider dropping the Wraith in favor of another Flow. If you do add a second Flow then you may want to consider the picking up one that is significantly lighter than your primary driver. I've found having a lightweight model has added a lot of extra distance off the teepad.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty5150 View Post

Putters:
9x Aviar - this will never change. (I have limited supply so i only putt with them)
Grid Stamp Aviar 175 - stable drives/approach

Mids:
Seasoned DX Roc 180 - straight/anhyzer
Z Hornet - overstable
Z Buzzz - it fits between the Rocs

Drivers:
ESP/Z tracker - overstable control drives
Opto Flow - just added this week, really like it.
Opto Saint - just added this week, not sure about it yet.
Star Roadrunner - long anhyzers or long hyzerflips
Z Predator - overstable everything.
why not start with this...
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 68
Nice bag, I don't have much experience with your drivers. I would echo others and say you could use a slower fairway driver. Teebird, Leopard, Eagle, Cyclone, Gazelle, etc. Like the putters and mids.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared_Discless View Post
The setup is really rounding into shape - I don't think I could play without Wasp's and I think they'll always have a place in my bag.

I feel, and your comments also suggest, that the Wraith & Flow are very similar. You may want consider dropping the Wraith in favor of another Flow. If you do add a second Flow then you may want to consider the picking up one that is significantly lighter than your primary driver. I've found having a lightweight model has added a lot of extra distance off the teepad.
I wasn't really comparing the Flow and Wraith or even thinking about the Flow as a max distance driver. More for just control stability. I'm only a week or so on it so I have some more work to do with it. I did turn it over once by accident once this weekend and it went like snot and glided forever, so maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardu View Post
Nice bag, I don't have much experience with your drivers. I would echo others and say you could use a slower fairway driver. Teebird, Leopard, Eagle, Cyclone, Gazelle, etc. Like the putters and mids.
I used to throw Gazelles, and couldn't live without one in my bag, but I'm trying to get down to less than 10 discs and I really dont think I need a fairway driver - I can power down and shape lines with the rpedator pretty good, and can stretch out my roc if needed.

I've got a local mini this Saturday and then our Provincial Championships next weekend ... kinda of a silly time to mess with the bag, but I guess it worked this weekend alright, so I'll keep going LOL
Old 10-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Eagle Member

bag update ...

Putters/Approach - 9x Aviar, Grid Stamp Aviar, DX XD, 71Mold
Midrange - DX Roc (seasoned), Ti Wasp, Z Hornet
Drivers - *Roadrunner, Opto Flow, Z Predator, Champ Wraith, DX Gazelle

This has been my setup for a couple weeks now and I'm really liking it; not finding any gaps, yet. I put a Gazelle back in, and I've needed it, its almost like a safety blanket and I'm glad I put it back in. I have noticed I'm throwing the Flow over the Wraith a lot, so the Wraith might not make the cut. I'm not 100% confident with the stability of the Flow just yet, but I'm getting there - the mini this past Saturday was on a ski hill, it was really windy and the Flow performed great for me. It's almost more stable than I expect it to be.

Provincial Champs this weekend, and I'm feeling good about my bag - appreciate the feedback guys.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:39 PM
Eagle Member

oops better keep this a bit more up to date. so after posting that last update, i went on to actually win our provincial champ's (adv) with that bag setup, yay me. but I'm not quite happy with everything yet and have made some changes. I've managed to duplicate some trusted dx discs in premium plastic for winter so i dont have to change much with the seasons. I'm mainly struggling in the distance driver category, which I'll go into below in the run-down:

First, putters - I cut the cord with the 9x Aviars completely and have switched to an eraser Wizard; and I love it. I used to swap the 9x's out in the winter for either a soft APX or a Sinus AP. I had so much success with the Sinus AP this winter with trouble putts (tight hyzers mainly) I decided it's staying in my bag for good; i've also discovered it's a great driving putter. And, now that I'm stocked up good with cheap Wizards, I'm not going to swap for the APX anymore.

Mids - Z Hornet is a staple, it'll never leave my bag. I discovered glo champ xd's this winter so now I can throw xd's all year (this made me happy). The Ti Wasp is in just for winter so i dont break any dx rocs; it'll go in/out of my bag with the mercury level. I've been messing around with an Opto Fuse to compliment the Wasp/Hornet for winter and I'm really liking it.

Drivers - I'll go thru 'em one at a time as this is where I need some help.
These 4 are maintays:
- DX/Glo Champ Gazelle; DX for summer, Glo Champ for winter ... happy happy happy.
- Z Tracker; will always carry one, no matter what.
- Z Predator; ditto
- */Glo Champ RR; * for summer, glo champ for winter.

Now I need distance, and here's what I've been rotating in/out for the past couple months:
- Opto Flow; i fell in love with the Flow quick, but now that the honeymoon is over I'm not sure it's right for me. It seems to be kinda finicky and I've been flipping it over lately, drivin me nuts.
- Champ Wraith; I seem to get the same dist/flight as with the Flow, but maybe a bit more consistent. what i dont like is the variation in plastic - I've got some that are super gummy and some that are super stiff. i dont want to have to weed through tons to find the firmness i like.
- blizzard destroyer (150); this thing bombs, with little effort. i dont have much experience yet with it, but i'm nervous about it in any kind of wind. this one intrigues me and i'll probably test it out more.

As I'm typing this I'm asking myself if I even need to go beyond those first 4 drivers i listed. Do i really need the extra 50-75' that i'm getting from the faster discs? do i really need to carry a disc that i only throw on wide open holes with no trouble?

let's hear it ...

Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 34
Putters-
Sinus AP
Eraser Wizard

Mids-
Hornet
Wasp