#161  
Old 10-02-2012, 03:27 PM
treehorn's Avatar
treehorn treehorn is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: White Rock, BC
Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
Well, no conspiracy to eliminate the jump putt or modify the stance rules....but they're up to something dagnabit

Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 10-02-2012, 03:28 PM
garublador garublador is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Urbandale, IA
Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 7
Posts: 4,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslinger View Post
but i don't see how you'll be able to distinguish between a jump putt and a falling putt...since the rules are really specific around a static supporting point, not necessarily the action of jumping or lunging forward.
I'm suggesting changing the rule about the supporting point to make the too close to call jump putts illegal and other follow troughs or falling putts legal. And that's only as a suggestion based on the assumption that the rule being too difficult to call in many situations is an actual problem. That may not, and apparnetly according to the PDGA so far, is not, a valid assumption.

Quote:
My point still is regardless of this being a discussion or formal rules submission, is whatt is the core issue the pDGA is trying to solve?
Apparently nothing if they aren't even considering the rule. It sounds to me like you're trying to run a smear campaign against the PDGA under the guise of a rule that was suggested on a message board but not actually submitted to the PDGA.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 10-02-2012, 03:33 PM
General Scales's Avatar
General Scales General Scales is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Spokane WA
Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,178
The PDGA is the front organization for the Mob
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 10-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is offline
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,932
The PDGA Rules Committee (RC) is trying to find a better way to handle the problem of calling jump putts legal or not. They have no agenda to either keep or get rid of jump putts, just solving the problem. It IS a problem based on high frame rate video where members of the RC tried to do jump and (Feldberg) walk thru putts legally. 'Yes' there are experienced jump putting pros in the RC. About 50% of the attempts were not legal where the disc was not released until the player was clearly off the ground much to the chagrin of some members who thought they were doing it legally.

So this discussion is relevant from the standpoint that ideas that might resolve the issue or handle it better might emerge. But so far, the RC feels the best candidate to improve the situation balancing the tradeoffs may be to increase the putting circle distance. But they're not willing to pull the trigger on that idea yet in the hope some other brainstorm may be better.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 10-02-2012, 03:48 PM
mudslinger's Avatar
mudslinger mudslinger is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mpls, MN
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
The PDGA Rules Committee (RC) is trying to find a better way to handle the problem of calling jump putts legal or not. They have no agenda to either keep or get rid of jump putts, just solving the problem. It IS a problem based on high frame rate video where members of the RC tried to do jump and (Feldberg) walk thru putts legally. 'Yes' there are experienced jump putting pros in the RC. About 50% of the attempts were not legal where the disc was not released until the player was clearly off the ground much to the chagrin of some members who thought they were doing it legally.

So this discussion is relevant from the standpoint that ideas that might resolve the issue or handle it better might emerge. But so far, the RC feels the best candidate to improve the situation balancing the tradeoffs may be to increase the putting circle distance. But they're not willing to pull the trigger on that idea yet in the hope some other brainstorm may be better.
Thanks CK for confirming my theory that the pDGA was interested in a rules change. I agree that the proposal I listed was not adopted by the BOD, rather was trying to determine in what context it was provided. You're above notes show clear evidence that the pDGA is looking into the matter.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 10-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is offline
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,932
And they have been for at least 10 years. It was only recently a higher profile issue among several others due to the 2013 rules update. But nothing emerged to grab the RC or Board as any better than continuing with the current rule. So it simply remains as brainstorming ideas among those willing to toss them out.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 10-02-2012, 04:14 PM
codyroberts18's Avatar
codyroberts18 codyroberts18 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oxford
Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,138
I disagree that not jump putting means you lack skills. I think it is the other way around. It takes great form and wrist action to be able to make a 40-50 foot putt without jumping. Just my opinion. I think this thread is kind of dumb anyway, that is a very stupid proposal from my end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslinger View Post
True. My point is this is the type of stuff your pDGA $ goes to...helping some non-jump putters level the competition because they lack skills. I know it probably won't pass...but the USDGC no strokes for OB rule passed, which is yet another major change in how the game is played.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 10-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Lewis's Avatar
Lewis Lewis is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Marietta, GA
Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
I'm suggesting changing the rule about the supporting point to make the too close to call jump putts illegal and other follow troughs or falling putts legal...
That's EXACTLY what I was going to suggest, after reading 16 pages of this thread. On the other hand, I'm kinda with Prerube on this: nobody at the level I compete at is helping their game by jump putting. I honestly think the "Feldberg walk through" put accomplishes the same thing, but with a more controllable, repeatable movement.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 10-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Billym Billym is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 131
I always thought Feldberg's walk through putt was illegal.
I do jump putt from time to time but I wouldn't miss it in my game if it were gone.
But if I was a top pro and you forced me to change my game I would be unhappy.
Reply With Quote
 

  #170  
Old 10-02-2012, 04:34 PM
dashiellx's Avatar
dashiellx dashiellx is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Baltimore
Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
I honestly think the "Feldberg walk through" put accomplishes the same thing, but with a more controllable, repeatable movement.
I've been looking for a video that clearly demonstrates this "Feldberg Walk Through" putt but can't find one. Any links?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.