Old 10-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jongoff09 View Post
The size of the head doesn't do much at all to help someone hit further, it just makes the head more forgiving to off-center hits. A lot of Tour pros don't even use a head as large as is allowed. I am no Tour pro and my driver isn't even the max of 460cc. The smaller profile at times can actually be hit further because it cuts through the air quicker. Limiting the head size hurts the average golfer much more than the Tour pro.

Also, square grooves help out of the rough, not the bunkers. The type and density of the sand has more to do with the spin out of a bunker than the grooves. Your point about it is still valid, because that only applies to the pros and club manufacturers (for now).
Now you know why I play disc golf instead of normal golf. My clubs get used about 3 times a year on an actual course.

In any case, just because outlawing jump putting would make it harder to approach doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. And those who say we might as well go back to lids and tone poles are completely missing the point. Just as the PDGA can restrict technology (or even push tech backwards) to make the game more fair consistent, disc golf can and should do the same thing. Jump putting is detrimental to the sport because it is impossible to call fairly, and in my opinion additionally detrimental because it has absolutely zero decorum.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 16
... and the most famous video of Dave making a walking putt...

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
... and the most famous video of Dave making a walking putt...

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Walk putting seems like the most logical response. At least it isn't difficult to judge, even if it looks a little silly still.

Picture related.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ministrysillywalks.jpg (69.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-02-2012, 06:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
HEY PDGA RULES COMMITTEE,

IF IT AIN'T BROKE,
THEN DON'T FIX IT!!!!
Winner!!!

This is why I'm glad Par Infinity usualy doesn't work with the PDGA.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 199
I'm just a crappy recreational player, but why isn't a walking put illegal? IT seems like he is in front of the lie with the putter still in his hands. Bad video, and you'd probably need slow-mo to figure it all out. I wouldn't call it on anyone either way, but couldn't they eliminate the issues by having the player simply remain behind the lie until the disc comes to rest in the basket or on the ground? Start the goofy jump or walk a few feet in front of your line, and end up behind it. Seems simple.

But like I said, I am a crappy AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles View Post
in the rule book under General:

(1) When a group cannot reach a majority decision regarding a ruling, the benefit of the doubt
shall be given to the thrower.

To hard to tell that split second so give the player the benefit of the doubt,
Exactly, it should only be an issue/called when it's blatantly obvious, like their feet are past their marker when released. If you need a high speed camera to call it, it shouldn't be an issue/called. FWIW I have high speed footage(240fps) of some putt jumps from the Patapsco Picnic and I can't definitively call of any them illegal even looking at them frame by frame. In fact, most the evidence is in favor of them being legal. None of the the putt jumps went in the basket either.

I don't understand why some some people get their panties in a bunch about jump putts. I don't think there's any real advantage if they actually release in the air. The other thing to consider is the steep terrain and obstacles we sometimes have to deal with, and the only way to get momentum is to jump. There are situations where I can't swing my arm around safely or physically, or take a step backwards from my lie.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:10 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
I'm just a crappy recreational player, but why isn't a walking put illegal? IT seems like he is in front of the lie with the putter still in his hands. Bad video, and you'd probably need slow-mo to figure it all out. I wouldn't call it on anyone either way, but couldn't they eliminate the issues by having the player simply remain behind the lie until the disc comes to rest in the basket or on the ground? Start the goofy jump or walk a few feet in front of your line, and end up behind it. Seems simple.

But like I said, I am a crappy AM.
It's not about breaking the plane, it's about contact in front of your lie before you release the disc. It would definitely not work to tie it to the disc coming to rest, or people could do falling putts from anywhere as long as they windmilled their arms and kept from totally falling for a second while the disc is in flight as opposed to the current rule that requires demonstration of balance before advancing toward the hole inside the circle.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I'm not sure Paul Hogan "that's not a knife, now here's a knife" played golf that well ...maybe "uncle" Ben?
I don't know about you, but I feel a lot less discouraged after comparing my scores to Paul's, rather than Ben's.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billym View Post
I always thought Feldberg's walk through putt was illegal.
I do jump putt from time to time but I wouldn't miss it in my game if it were gone.
But if I was a top pro and you forced me to change my game I would be unhappy.
If it was illegal I'm sure he would get called on it all the time which, to my knowledge doesn't happen.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCasper View Post
Picture related.
I occasionally play-act as though I work for the Ministry.