#181  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:32 PM
DonCasper DonCasper is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jongoff09 View Post
The size of the head doesn't do much at all to help someone hit further, it just makes the head more forgiving to off-center hits. A lot of Tour pros don't even use a head as large as is allowed. I am no Tour pro and my driver isn't even the max of 460cc. The smaller profile at times can actually be hit further because it cuts through the air quicker. Limiting the head size hurts the average golfer much more than the Tour pro.

Also, square grooves help out of the rough, not the bunkers. The type and density of the sand has more to do with the spin out of a bunker than the grooves. Your point about it is still valid, because that only applies to the pros and club manufacturers (for now).
Now you know why I play disc golf instead of normal golf. My clubs get used about 3 times a year on an actual course.

In any case, just because outlawing jump putting would make it harder to approach doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. And those who say we might as well go back to lids and tone poles are completely missing the point. Just as the PDGA can restrict technology (or even push tech backwards) to make the game more fair consistent, disc golf can and should do the same thing. Jump putting is detrimental to the sport because it is impossible to call fairly, and in my opinion additionally detrimental because it has absolutely zero decorum.
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Lewis's Avatar
Lewis Lewis is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Marietta, GA
Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,074
... and the most famous video of Dave making a walking putt...

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:36 PM
DonCasper DonCasper is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
... and the most famous video of Dave making a walking putt...

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Walk putting seems like the most logical response. At least it isn't difficult to judge, even if it looks a little silly still.

Picture related.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ministrysillywalks.jpg (69.4 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 10-02-2012, 06:36 PM
humchris85's Avatar
humchris85 humchris85 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Redwood Curtain
Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 114
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
HEY PDGA RULES COMMITTEE,

IF IT AIN'T BROKE,
THEN DON'T FIX IT!!!!
Winner!!!

This is why I'm glad Par Infinity usualy doesn't work with the PDGA.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 10-02-2012, 06:46 PM
sloppydisc's Avatar
sloppydisc sloppydisc is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 199
Posts: 5,071
I'm just a crappy recreational player, but why isn't a walking put illegal? IT seems like he is in front of the lie with the putter still in his hands. Bad video, and you'd probably need slow-mo to figure it all out. I wouldn't call it on anyone either way, but couldn't they eliminate the issues by having the player simply remain behind the lie until the disc comes to rest in the basket or on the ground? Start the goofy jump or walk a few feet in front of your line, and end up behind it. Seems simple.

But like I said, I am a crappy AM.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 10-02-2012, 07:02 PM
sidewinder22's Avatar
sidewinder22 sidewinder22 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Creeping Creek DGC
Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Posts: 6,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles View Post
in the rule book under General:

(1) When a group cannot reach a majority decision regarding a ruling, the benefit of the doubt
shall be given to the thrower.

To hard to tell that split second so give the player the benefit of the doubt,
Exactly, it should only be an issue/called when it's blatantly obvious, like their feet are past their marker when released. If you need a high speed camera to call it, it shouldn't be an issue/called. FWIW I have high speed footage(240fps) of some putt jumps from the Patapsco Picnic and I can't definitively call of any them illegal even looking at them frame by frame. In fact, most the evidence is in favor of them being legal. None of the the putt jumps went in the basket either.

I don't understand why some some people get their panties in a bunch about jump putts. I don't think there's any real advantage if they actually release in the air. The other thing to consider is the steep terrain and obstacles we sometimes have to deal with, and the only way to get momentum is to jump. There are situations where I can't swing my arm around safely or physically, or take a step backwards from my lie.
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 10-02-2012, 07:10 PM
mashnut's Avatar
mashnut mashnut is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Temecula, CA
Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 13,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
I'm just a crappy recreational player, but why isn't a walking put illegal? IT seems like he is in front of the lie with the putter still in his hands. Bad video, and you'd probably need slow-mo to figure it all out. I wouldn't call it on anyone either way, but couldn't they eliminate the issues by having the player simply remain behind the lie until the disc comes to rest in the basket or on the ground? Start the goofy jump or walk a few feet in front of your line, and end up behind it. Seems simple.

But like I said, I am a crappy AM.
It's not about breaking the plane, it's about contact in front of your lie before you release the disc. It would definitely not work to tie it to the disc coming to rest, or people could do falling putts from anywhere as long as they windmilled their arms and kept from totally falling for a second while the disc is in flight as opposed to the current rule that requires demonstration of balance before advancing toward the hole inside the circle.
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 10-02-2012, 07:33 PM
jenb's Avatar
jenb jenb is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DFW TX USA
Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I'm not sure Paul Hogan "that's not a knife, now here's a knife" played golf that well ...maybe "uncle" Ben?
I don't know about you, but I feel a lot less discouraged after comparing my scores to Paul's, rather than Ben's.
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 PM
cooter's Avatar
cooter cooter is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billym View Post
I always thought Feldberg's walk through putt was illegal.
I do jump putt from time to time but I wouldn't miss it in my game if it were gone.
But if I was a top pro and you forced me to change my game I would be unhappy.
If it was illegal I'm sure he would get called on it all the time which, to my knowledge doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote
 

  #190  
Old 10-02-2012, 08:03 PM
KenTyburski's Avatar
KenTyburski KenTyburski is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chatham, VA
Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCasper View Post
Picture related.
I occasionally play-act as though I work for the Ministry.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.