Old 10-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to tarel
feldbergs has been rehearsed so many time he can get away with it legally no foul , its the people who try to emulate his throw who foul.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarel View Post
feldbergs has been rehearsed so many time he can get away with it legally no foul , its the people who try to emulate his throw who foul.
This times infinity.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 36.3
Courses Played: 79
Finals of a 2011 major. In realtime, you can't tell for sure, but it doesn't "feel" like the right timing. Why are we being asked to enforce this dumb rule? If I really wanted to be making calls like this, I'd get a job as a first base umpire. I'd rather be playing golf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jump1.jpg (126.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg jump2.jpg (123.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 10-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 58
I am not in support of totally outlawing jump putting. To me, it is about appropriate positioning of the circle. I wouldn't be opposed to moving the circle back to around 20m. Jump putting is a great advantage to the top pros but from that distance, is difficult for anyone to perform with high accuracy. It is my feeling that the game loses credibility when pros are shooting <= -13,-14, etc below par on courses. I know jump putting is only a slight contributor to this, but increasing the circle keeps an exciting part of the game which many pros have mastered while increasing the difficulty of putting.

The problem with exact measurement of the circle is still there, but perhaps it falls under the "judgment calls" that are present within every sport. 2 cents
Old 10-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Van View Post
Finals of a 2011 major. In realtime, you can't tell for sure, but it doesn't "feel" like the right timing. Why are we being asked to enforce this dumb rule? If I really wanted to be making calls like this, I'd get a job as a first base umpire. I'd rather be playing golf.
Is the mini by his back foot? how in the hell is that legal?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.7
Courses Played: 81
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
I'm just a crappy recreational player, but why isn't a walking put illegal? IT seems like he is in front of the lie with the putter still in his hands. Bad video, and you'd probably need slow-mo to figure it all out. I wouldn't call it on anyone either way, but couldn't they eliminate the issues by having the player simply remain behind the lie until the disc comes to rest in the basket or on the ground? Start the goofy jump or walk a few feet in front of your line, and end up behind it. Seems simple.

But like I said, I am a crappy AM.
Too much common sense.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pwnerator View Post
Is the mini by his back foot? how in the hell is that legal?
i watched Ben make that throw; hole 12 at USADGC, jump putt for a 2 and he almost got it. i remember thinking 'hmmm, that was kinda iffy', but in real time it's very hard to be certain.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
I'm just a crappy recreational player, but why isn't a walking put illegal? IT seems like he is in front of the lie with the putter still in his hands. Bad video, and you'd probably need slow-mo to figure it all out. I wouldn't call it on anyone either way, but couldn't they eliminate the issues by having the player simply remain behind the lie until the disc comes to rest in the basket or on the ground? Start the goofy jump or walk a few feet in front of your line, and end up behind it. Seems simple.

But like I said, I am a crappy AM.
(1) If done correctly, when the disc is released on the walking putt the back foot is behind the mini, and the front foot is still in the air. So no part of the player is touching the ground closer than the mini. (The front foot in the air is no different than the arm in the air, which is also in front of the mini but not touching the ground).

(2) Basing the player's movement on when the disc comes to rest would be tricky on some fast greens. Should we have a player freeze in place while a missed putt rolls and winds and totters for 30 seconds? Perhaps, were a rule change like this proposed, a better option would be to stay behind the mini until the disc hits or passes the basket. Or maybe hits the basket, ground, or another object.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.7
Courses Played: 81
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
(1) If done correctly, when the disc is released on the walking putt the back foot is behind the mini, and the front foot is still in the air. So no part of the player is touching the ground closer than the mini. (The front foot in the air is no different than the arm in the air, which is also in front of the mini but not touching the ground).

(2) Basing the player's movement on when the disc comes to rest would be tricky on some fast greens. Should we have a player freeze in place while a missed putt rolls and winds and totters for 30 seconds? Perhaps, were a rule change like this proposed, a better option would be to stay behind the mini until the disc hits or passes the basket. Or maybe hits the basket, ground, or another object.
Keep both feet behind the mini and we won't have to worry about "if done correctly". Feldberg could do his same putt one step back.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Keep both feet behind the mini and we won't have to worry about "if done correctly". Feldberg could do his same putt one step back.
Exactly...I say that you shouldn't be able to cross your marker with either foot.

Until the other day, I just realized that you can cross your mini on a second drive after the disc is released. I did just fine keeping my foot behind the marker, even when doing an X-step.