Old 10-03-2012, 02:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
Wow. What my geometric deficiences hath wrought!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:46 PM
* Ace Member *

I'm going with the cylinder, though, as an extension of the circle concept. Wish I'd thought of that at the time. Probably have to define the center as an axis running vertically through the pole, or something like that......

Or just stick with the current rule about supporting points.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:47 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 750
Throwing Style: RHBH
Oh yeah, I think it's a terrible idea to try to make calls on a body part breaking an invisible cylinder in the air, I was just being a math nerd.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:48 PM
* Ace Member *

I was just thinking of the sphere, centered on the base of the pole, and how much harder it would be to get someone to second your call.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:53 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 750
It would also be awkward to have a point defining that sphere that you're not actually aiming toward imo.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 40
replace the mini marker with a meter stick instead, thats your LOP, you can go edge to edge left or right and anywhere behind it up to 1m
Old 10-03-2012, 03:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 196
Body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Oh yeah, I think it's a terrible idea to try to make calls on a body part breaking an invisible cylinder in the air, I was just being a math nerd.
Just allow body parts to cross the lie outside the circle, but make people's feet come to rest behind the lie. If your arm or leg swings in the air over the spot that's fine. If you want to walk or jump that's fine, as long as you end up behind the lie. Free up space behind the lie so people can throw or putt however they want to.

If I take a run up for a BH or thumber from beyond 10Ms and step over my lie it is a foot fault correct? So wouldn't a jump or walk putt be the same?

I need to go play a tourney and run an experiment on all this. My score would suck, but it would be fun to see how many foot faults I could get called on me.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 49
Replace all minis with animated tesseracts.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Do NOT cross the tesseract! You will be doomed to spend eternity in a vacuum, where the only sound you'll hear is that of infinite Coldplay songs.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
Just allow body parts to cross the lie outside the circle, but make people's feet come to rest behind the lie. If your arm or leg swings in the air over the spot that's fine. If you want to walk or jump that's fine, as long as you end up behind the lie. Free up space behind the lie so people can throw or putt however they want to.

If I take a run up for a BH or thumber from beyond 10Ms and step over my lie it is a foot fault correct? So wouldn't a jump or walk putt be the same?

I need to go play a tourney and run an experiment on all this. My score would suck, but it would be fun to see how many foot faults I could get called on me.
Are you suggesting banning follow-throughs on all fairway shots? On long multi-shot holes, that would kill my knees.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
BAM, right there.. do whatever you want (jumping jacks for all I care) before you release the disc BEHIND your lie..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Are you suggesting banning follow-throughs on all fairway shots? On long multi-shot holes, that would kill my knees.
why not include follow through behind your lie?

IMHO, you should be able to use as much distance behind your lie as needed (although this does bring up other ruling topics, but in regards to rulings on stance/foot fault violations)

Last edited by blur; 10-03-2012 at 04:57 PM.