Old 10-03-2012, 04:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 199
No. But isn't it a fault if you follow through over your lie? I thought you had to throw and maintain a position behind your lie. Am I allowed to take a small run up, launch a throw, and then follow through past my lie on the fairway? Damn! No wonder this game is so tough. I've been doing it wrong.

Ken Climo here I come.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
why not include follow through behind your lie?
Huh? If I'm running or stepping up to a full-force throw behind my mini, the only place my body wants to follow-through is in front of my mini.

I'm not clear what's being proposed here---either "stand and deliver", or moving the 10-meter circle out much further? Or I'm just confused. Again.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 116
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
No. But isn't it a fault if you follow through over your lie? I thought you had to throw and maintain a position behind your lie. Am I allowed to take a small run up, launch a throw, and then follow through past my lie on the fairway? Damn! No wonder this game is so tough. I've been doing it wrong.

Ken Climo here I come.
Yes, you are allowed to follow through anywhere outside the 10-meter circle.

The rule book isn't that lengthy a read, really.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Huh? If I'm running or stepping up to a full-force throw behind my mini, the only place my body wants to follow-through is in front of my mini.
No, I'm proposing that at any point on any shot you should never cross the line.. it might mean you need to take your shot a few feet early to compensate for your follow through.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
No, I'm proposing that at any point on any shot you should never cross the line.. it might mean you need to take your shot a few feet early to compensate for your follow through.
So you'd allow people to release, say, 5' behind the mini as long as, on their follow-through, they ran up to it, but not beyond? 10'? 20'? Could they release 5' behind the mini and not run up to it? This could be advantageous on wooded courses. But it would definitely be easy to call.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:38 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 813
There are definitely some spots I've been in where throwing from 20' behind my lie would have saved me at least a stroke, I can make it look like I have a 20' follow through...

In all seriousness, I fail to see the issue with a follow through beyond your lie, I've seen lots of people who don't hit the exact spot behind their lie, but none who step in front of the lie before releasing on a fairways shot, seems like a non-problem that doesn't need fixing.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post

Ken Climo here I come.
Yeah, now stop calling me for foot faults you bastard!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Nope. New rules should be tested at the biggest events if they're intended to solve perceived rules problems. If it works or doesn't work there then that knowledge can extend to lower events. For example, the sudden death rules in the NFL were first tried in the playoffs and have now moved to regular season games.
Nope, NFL looked silly testing rules in the playoffs as well.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
.....seems like a non-problem that doesn't need fixing.
That'd be my feeling about this whole thread. If I was given Absolute Power to remake the rulebook---a mistake the PDGA hasn't even hinted at making, by the way---I'd have a lot to do before I ever got around to worrying about jump-putts or Feldberg-walking-putts.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
So you'd allow people to release, say, 5' behind the mini as long as, on their follow-through, they ran up to it, but not beyond? 10'? 20'? Could they release 5' behind the mini and not run up to it? This could be advantageous on wooded courses. But it would definitely be easy to call.
20', 10'.. that may be a bit much, but a designated area behind the disc could offer the opportunity to shoot before your lie with follow-through is what I'm talking about.

It just seems that since the sport has become more and more competitive, people are pushing the rules harder too. Therefore rules must become stricter and more defined....

HENCE THIS DISCUSSION where people are allowed to have varying opinions allowing other options to be considered in rulings.