Old 10-04-2012, 02:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
and I don't know how everyone is reading into 'feet' away from the marker, because DavidSauls stated 5', 10' and 20' is a little hyperbole...
Maybe the 20'....

The suggestion was made to have room for the follow-through to still end behind the mini. On long fairway shots (on long par-4s and par-5s), my follow-through will take me 5', possibly more, past my plant foot.

I'm just not clear what a proposed rule that gives room for a follow-through to finish behind the mini would actually look like.

If the rule simply said your follow-through could end up at the mini, with no other specifications, I'll be someone would create a 20' follow-through just to abuse the rule. After all, look at the fuss over miniscule jump-putt foot-faults.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
although, ball golf you have a non moving stance and with disc golf you technically make a run up to take your shot.

unless you have the 'stand and deliver' approach witch would correlate with the ball golf stance
this was kinda my point earlier. in golf, it's not the STANCE that's non-moving...it's the BALL. You can do whatever you'd like in your stance and swing. Run up, follow through, pirouette, happy gilmore...etc, as long as the ball doesn't move until the club hits it.

In our sport we propel our object(the disc) with our bodies, not with a club. This simple difference has profound impact on the minutiae of stance/lie/stroke definition, as evidenced by the continuous discussion of the subject. It's hard to define it in the context of golf, when it's so fundamentally different. If you threw a golf ball with your arm instead of hitting it with a club, the exact same difficulties we are having would apply.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 1149
Can't putt between your legs. How about a ball golf jump putt?
Old 10-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I'm just not clear what a proposed rule that gives room for a follow-through to finish behind the mini would actually look like.
I am not on the PDGA board and do not know all the intricacies of developing the rules so I can't say exactly what a proposed rule would be.

Although, I am voicing my opinion on what may or may not be something of value to this discussion.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I am not on the PDGA board and do not know all the intricacies of developing the rules so I can't say exactly what a proposed rule would be.

Although, I am voicing my opinion on what may or may not be something of value to this discussion.
"Proposed rule" is poor wording on my part, since it's nothing the PDGA is considering.

Someone in this thread suggested, for the sake of this discussion, an alternative rule that would allow a player to finish his follow-through at his lie, rather than throw from it.

I am merely pointing out potential flows in such a hypothetical rule, for the sake of this discussion.

As I said somewhere, I think it's all of value to think through and discuss current rules, as well as other possible rules, and weigh their pros and cons.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
"Proposed rule" is poor wording on my part, since it's nothing the PDGA is considering.
You are correct in that it wasn't PROPOSED to the rules committee OFFICIALLY, but the rules committee has for years trying to determine how to best handle the jump putt/walking putt "problem". Not to say they'll chose to extend the circle, but the idea has been floating around. see CK's quote below (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...&postcount=164)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
The PDGA Rules Committee (RC) is trying to find a better way to handle the problem of calling jump putts legal or not. They have no agenda to either keep or get rid of jump putts, just solving the problem. It IS a problem based on high frame rate video where members of the RC tried to do jump and (Feldberg) walk thru putts legally. 'Yes' there are experienced jump putting pros in the RC. About 50% of the attempts were not legal where the disc was not released until the player was clearly off the ground much to the chagrin of some members who thought they were doing it legally.

So this discussion is relevant from the standpoint that ideas that might resolve the issue or handle it better might emerge. But so far, the RC feels the best candidate to improve the situation balancing the tradeoffs may be to increase the putting circle distance. But they're not willing to pull the trigger on that idea yet in the hope some other brainstorm may be better.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 25
I think we should be able to get up to 5m relief left or right of where you throw. I mean, why not? Disc golf isn't supposed to take any kind of skill or be precise, so might as well make everyone really good!

That would be so cool!...

HARDLY ANYBODY ACTUALLY COMPLAINS ABOUT JUMP PUTTS. I hear way more complaints about falling putts and accidental faults than the depate of whether the person is in the air during release. The jump putt is a great tactic, it should be kept. Also, rules should be interpreted to the spirit of the rule. The spirit of the rule is not to punish jump putters.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslinger View Post
You are correct in that it wasn't PROPOSED to the rules committee OFFICIALLY.....
Yeah, but my specific mis-use of the word "proposed" was a specific rule idea someone floated in this thread, one that I don't think is on the PDGA's horizon.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 45
I thought of a better solution to the current rule that should (hopefully) prevent cheating, allows jump putting, and clears up rule confusion such as having to end up with your pivot on the line between the basket and the mark, even on huge doglegs, etc. It also seems a bit more intuitive, if that is a plus.

I think the rule should be that you can be within 20 or so feet of any side of the mark, but when you throw the disc it must fly over the mini (within reason). Additionally you may not follow through with your body over the mini-marker.

Thus people can jump put or whatever the heck they want. This is similar to the rule the NBA uses for 3 pointers (you must jump and land behind the line), so at least one professional sport uses similar rules.

The only problem I foresee is if you end up directly behind a tree. You can no longer use the wide leg stance to get around the obstacle. I think the benefit of this is that it punishes bad shots and rewards good shots more. So if you throw 300' and end up behind a tree 30 feet from the basket, you have to throw sideways to get out and at best can get a 3, while someone who threw 300' and ended up 30 feet from the basket gets a solid chance at a 2, which is how I think it should be.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCasper View Post
I think the rule should be that you can be within 20 or so feet of any side of the mark, but when you throw the disc it must fly over the mini (within reason). Additionally you may not follow through with your body over the mini-marker.

So if you throw 300' and end up behind a tree 30 feet from the basket, you have to throw sideways to get out and at best can get a 3, while someone who threw 300' and ended up 30 feet from the basket gets a solid chance at a 2, which is how I think it should be.