Old 10-01-2012, 02:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.9
Courses Played: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
100% disagree. any putt from 5 6 feet I would literally fall forward and drop it in each time.
So? How does that change the game?

Removing the rule entirely would simplify the rules, provide more consistent stance rules from tee to basket, and remove one more measurement (be it 10m, 30m, or whatever). All without substantively changing the game.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: RHBH
Jump putts have bailed me out of so many bad drives it's ridiculous. Would hate to see them go.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:52 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
So? How does that change the game?

Removing the rule entirely would simplify the rules, provide more consistent stance rules from tee to basket, and remove one more measurement (be it 10m, 30m, or whatever). All without substantively changing the game.
It reduces the skill of putting, a lot. Showing balance in a putt is a very skillful thing that newer players really struggle with.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Quote:
hahahaha you truly have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/...-PDGA-2011.pdf

See the bottom of page 3.
proved my point. THEY MADE THE CHANGE BEFORE VOTE...then put it in as a side memo on the election to say "should we REVISIT..." change was made and even if they "revisited" it was no means binding...BOD was moving forward regardless of member vote.

"2011 Bylaws Confidence Vote (2593 total voters; vote for 1):
2154 YES, I am in agreement with the recent change to the bylaws and Board structure, and I do
not believe that the Board needs to revisit this issue.
439 NO, I am not in agreement with the recent change to the bylaws and Board structure, and I
would like the Board to revisit this issue.
"
Old 10-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 15
I would rather give up disc golf than resort to jump putting..
Old 10-01-2012, 02:55 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslinger View Post
proved my point. THEY MADE THE CHANGE BEFORE VOTE...then put it in as a side memo on the election to say "should we REVISIT..." change was made and even if they "revisited" it was no means binding...BOD was moving forward regardless of member vote.

"2011 Bylaws Confidence Vote (2593 total voters; vote for 1):
2154 YES, I am in agreement with the recent change to the bylaws and Board structure, and I do
not believe that the Board needs to revisit this issue.
439 NO, I am not in agreement with the recent change to the bylaws and Board structure, and I
would like the Board to revisit this issue.
"
SMH....
Old 10-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
It reduces the skill of putting, a lot. Showing balance in a putt is a very skillful thing that newer players really struggle with.
^^^THIS...great point. This affects our newer players in a negative way more than anything. When I was rec'in...i'd jump putt everything before I found out the rule.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.9
Courses Played: 117
Quote:
Really? That's your argument?

Why should we have to define a putt? Shall we also require a "skillful" show of balance on all shots?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
SMH....
read the memo...it's all in past tense....change was made before members polled...they did it over a conf call (yes i was on that call and it was brutal).

Old 10-01-2012, 02:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
The fact that it keeps coming up for discussion is scary enough. I'm pretty sure the folks on the rules committee have heard my concerns 1-3 more than once. A reasonably minded person taking those concerns into account would realize that after facing resistance to those ideas the first time, they should have been heaped to the bad idea dumpster where they belong.
Lots of things keep coming up over the years. I've been playing the game 15 years and I've seen these kinds of rumors and threads come and go 100s of times (they're banning the jump putt being a common one). Despite popular opinion, these kinds of rumors rarely ever actually come to fruition.

Really, the only issue I have with this thread, and the many like it that have come before is that 90% of the participation is from people who fail to grasp the fact that it's all hypothetical. It's stuff like this, where people read hypothetical rule proposals and believe them to be true and imminent rule changes, that create confusion.

Like you point out, there's plenty of people that don't know the rules or don't enforce the rules. When things like this are introduced and it's not made perfectly clear that it's hypothetical, it just muddies the waters even further. I don't know how many times I've heard over the years that "jump putts have been made illegal" because someone read or heard a rumor/hypothetical like has been presented here, and run with it like it was gospel truth. My only goal here is to stem the tide of hysteria a little bit.

THEY ARE NOT CHANGING THE RULES TO DISALLOW JUMP PUTTING ANYTIME SOON