Disc Golf Store

Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Technique & Strategy

View Poll Results: Your Mental Routine?
Focus on aim point and adjust line for distance. 25 48.08%
Focus on aim point and adjust aim point for distance. 14 26.92%
Visualize flight path and adjust aim point for distance. 8 15.38%
Visualize flight path and adjust line for distance. 5 9.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Mental Putting Routine

We can all see the visible aspects of people's putting routines, but what's going on mentally? I'm particularly curious to know how many people pick a target (e.g., link) versus visualize a flight path. Also, as you move further from the basket, do you adjust your aim point (e.g., more right or left) or do you throw a different line (e.g., S it in versus hyzer or straight)?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 70
Close in I focus on a middle chain link. As I move away, I move my aim point up and to the left to account for drop and fade.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 82
I think I recall seeing a lot of people show the flight plate to the wind. Does that mean you adjust line for wind? If so, do you also adjust aim point for wind?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 66
There's always a ton of things to account for on putts. When I'm visualizing my line I'm considering wind, elevation change, apex, the angle of my disc, and how hard I need to putt.

After that, it's execution and muscle memory. Find balance point, get control of breath, commit to a positive stroke/good pace, exhale, aaaand 1...2...putt. I do a sort of rocking up down up motion with my putt where I start in a balanced position, inhale while I rock forward on 1 and back on 2, and then pop my putt out and exhale quickly on 3.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 44
close in (20' and in) I choose a chain just to the right of center as my focus point. For further out, i still choose a chain to go for, but i also envision the flight path needed to reach that chain, and i visualize the disc leaving my hand at the right speed/angle to achieve that path. Then in my warm up movements i insure i'm putting the disc on that angle.

I do a 1-2 warm-up movements (about the last 1/3 of my motion) then i pause, take a deep breath and exhale and then throw. I also have a pause at the back swing (i pendulum pitch putt mostly, but it's becoming more of a hybrid pendulum/push putt) So i take the disc fairly low and back, taking my deep breathe on the way back, pausing and exhaling, and then i perform my putt.

I try to actually have my warm-up movements closely mimic the actual putt. I see lots of people level the disc out as a visualization at the peak of release, and then their actual putt is 100% different body movement...why even do the first part if it doesn't actually resemble your putting movement.

It sounds like a lot, but really it just gets my mentally focused on the shot and gives me enough time to completely block out anything else going on and putt with a clear mind.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:11 AM
* Innova: Choice of Champions *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 14
I've been throwing about 100 practice putts a day for the last 4 months, and I'm trying to not interfere with the muscle memory I've built up. I've switched off my targeting computer and am relying on the Force.

I focus on two things these days when I'm putting. First is to remember to breathe when I step to my mini. Just clear out my mind with a deep breath. Second, is to reach. I actually wrote the word on my mini before a tournament a few weeks ago because it's a simple key for me. If I'm reaching properly and mindfully, my release, my angles and my lines just seem to all fall into place.

I don't visualize my line, use any intermediate targeting or pick out a link. I just look at the basket. I've tried the other ways, but just looking at the basket as a whole lets my brain kind of take over and choose the release point and subsequent line itself. At least that's what seems to be working for me these days, subject to change.

I guess I'm trying to work up to something like the DG version of this:

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Broad Street Bully

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 27
For me, i think about missing the putt for about 3 minutes per hole and then i miss the putt.

If anything, its consistent.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.4
Courses Played: 80
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFer View Post
I've been throwing about 100 practice putts a day for the last 4 months, and I'm trying to not interfere with the muscle memory I've built up. I've switched off my targeting computer and am relying on the Force.

I focus on two things these days when I'm putting. First is to remember to breathe when I step to my mini. Just clear out my mind with a deep breath. Second, is to reach. I actually wrote the word on my mini before a tournament a few weeks ago because it's a simple key for me. If I'm reaching properly and mindfully, my release, my angles and my lines just seem to all fall into place.

I don't visualize my line, use any intermediate targeting or pick out a link. I just look at the basket. I've tried the other ways, but just looking at the basket as a whole lets my brain kind of take over and choose the release point and subsequent line itself. At least that's what seems to be working for me these days, subject to change.

Here's that same answer again. It seems like no matter how you word the question(s) the answer always comes back to "practice a lot".
A good putting practice routine takes just about all the thinking out of it once you step up to your putt.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 23
Inside 20-30 ft I focus on the middle right link and with that my muscle and release point fall into line.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 12
I put my mini down, take a couple breaths and putt. I always aim for the center. I never think about distance or line, I just do it. The last thing in my mind when I'm putting is putting. It's like I shut my mind off and just go do what I know I can do. We've all putted so many times that it should just be a muscle memory thing. So therefore, I didn't vote on this poll as none of those options are what I do.