Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
Torque monkeys think they throw too hard to make themselves feel better.

You are not throwing too hard, just wrong.
Hate to admit it, but he is probably right.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 PM

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Not trying to sound like I'm bragging or think I'm a "torque monkey" lol, just trying to get advice, thats all.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll work on uploading a video soon, since I don't have one, it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I can't throw putters and midranges very far (I have thrown my cobra midrange 500+ downhill but had to let it go at a super steep hyzer for not to crash right) because I can't power grip that tiny rim comfortably, it feels awful. So my distance has to come from my higher speed drivers. I can throw my Vulcan dead straight when I don't need to kill it. My wraith is an excellent anhyzer disc for throwing around right doglegs. Threw it the other day about 340 fading right the whole way slightly uphill. I'm not a noob at the game and can usually get my discs to go where they need to go.

I'm just now really trying to work on a good solid power throw for a newer course that opened up near me that requires top distance drives on almost every hole. 400 - 750 ft. it would be nice to reach 400 at least.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 200
I can't tell if you are serious.
Torque money just means you are over compensating and turning over heavily overstable discs.
When you say you are maxing out at 350 we know you are not bragging, but saying you are throwing "too hard" makes me think you are over torquing it.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 PM

I'm serious.

Clarify over torque-ing? Does that mean I'm not throwing on a level plane? I am throwing understable discs, I know they turn over, they are supposed to. But I've thrown them all for a long time and all of a sudden I am throwing them and they turn over way too hard. Just curious on how to throw them or if I should have a more stable disc for big D drives?

I thought I would get more constructive advice in these forums, and so far most people make fun and give advice thats mean or so straight to the point I don't understand. I use Innova discs, any driver suggestions for one of those maybe?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Birdie Member

Well, you mentioned there was a head wind today. That will certainly make your disc turn a little, and if your form is not top notch, maybe a little more so. I doubt you could throw a fresh Destroyer to hard, why don't you pick a new one to see how you rip it ? I can also suggest a Discmania S PD 170-175. I have one and you can put a lot of mustard on it and it will fly pretty straight (a healthy fade when new). It's a speed 10 or so, so you would actually be both listening to the people that are saying "disc down" and to your desire to buy new plastic. There is not really a distance limit to a S PD btw. It's not the longest disc in the World, but for ams with average/good arm, I believe they are in a sweet spot.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:56 PM

Sweet Kp0c! Thanks for the best advice yet, I'll definitely try out that disc. I know my form is not top notch and I'm anxious to get out there and practice and improve it. Hopefully on a calm day next . My dad has a almost new star destroyer, and I'll try that one too.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:07 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Courses Played: 200
I will leave it as is until I see a video. until then I picture you as a guy on DGR making a big joke of our advice.
In the mean time try throwing some newer discs in the molds you are used to and not in a head wind and see if you still get the same result. It could all be the wind and beat plastic, not you throwing "too hard"
Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
I do t think you can actually throw a Vulcan or a Destroyer too hard. Maybe a Wraith, but you need an unbelievable cannon. Not trying to feed the trolls but this doesn't really make sense.Post a video of your drive in the critique section. I guarentee you that you are not throwing too hard, no offense.
Sure you can. If it's a beat to snot pro destroyer, it's turning.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 9
you just changed your mechanics from not turning your body and head to turning away. Im sure thats messing with your throw right at the hit. for me at least, the more i turn away the more potential i have to roll my wrist at the end if im not careful. l bet you got some toasty oats going on in your throw now. but video is the only way to know.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 40
With your new back to the target form, ensure youre not arching around and/or rolling your wrist.

How beat and what plastics are you using?
Hyzer will help control the turn.
A wraith/destroyer combo is the basic distance combo (i use a hurricane/surge combo) so they should treat you well.

How does a tbird fly for you?