Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfMaster View Post
Working with smaller discs like my mids to get my form going right seems like an idea. I just have a hard time power gripping my mids tho, feels so awkward. I end up grip locking them and jerking them right. But my fan grip isn't grippy enough. So I will have to learn a new grip to be able to start practicing with them on harder shots.

I know about my waist rotation issue, thats the main thing I'm working on. Thats what I realized the other day, that I didn't rotate away from the my target area enough. Just gotta keep practicing. The best part is I've aready noticed differences on the course . I'm working on my putting too, which has also gotten better.

Love this time of year. It gets hot in SC, nice to feel some cool weather for a change.
I think a new grip sounds like a good idea. For driving putters or throwing midranges, I never use a power grip. I've got a grip with the pointer finger knuckle over the edge of the rim and the pinky on the rim. My ring and middle fingers are extended somewhat. It's kinda like a stacked fork grip.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:14 PM

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by agapedad View Post
In your second video your wrist is turned over on the follow through - facing up. This indicates what others are calling OAT. You are compensating with your wrist for the overstability of a disc, causing it to turn over or do a long 'S' curve.

Not 100 percent sure what OAT is, and I don't know whats wrong with throwing my wraith and have it start out nice a straight and level, then slowly turn over then slowly fade back. Sounds like a good throw to me?

I understand if i was forcing it to go right, then that would be wrong. but i'm not. the discs that leave my hands aren't going to the right instantly then fading back. they do it on there own.

and I've been practicing a lot since i made this thread, and I'm getting more consistent drives every time i go. I can hit small gaps now when I would hit a tree half the time before.

I know I'm not doing everything right, but something is improving .

just sounds like an off axis torque problem would be really unstable and not very dependable or accurate.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 30
Quote:
Not 100 percent sure what OAT is, and I don't know whats wrong with throwing my wraith and have it start out nice a straight and level, then slowly turn over then slowly fade back. Sounds like a good throw to me?
OAT is Off Axis Torque and basically means that not 100% of the energy of your throw is going into spinning and propelling the disc. Some of the force might be pushing the wing up or down, the nose up or down, or pushing or pulling the disc right or left of your intended line.

OAT is just a way of saying "forces are applied to the disc that aren't helping it fly straight or spin." OAT is a force that's not perpendicular to the axis of spin or parallel to the direction of flight.

If your disc wobbles early on (I didn't see your video), that's a GOOD indicator that you have OAT.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 AM

Thanks iacas, that was a very easy to understand explanation. My discs do not wobble. Sometimes from time to time they do if I throw RHFH, but its getting better. Sometimes to get my disc to make a right turn around a dogleg, i will intentionally make it go that way though.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 30
Quote:

I understand if i was forcing it to go right, then that would be wrong. but i'm not. the discs that leave my hands aren't going to the right instantly then fading back. they do it on there own.

and I've been practicing a lot since i made this thread, and I'm getting more consistent drives every time i go. I can hit small gaps now when I would hit a tree half the time before.

I know I'm not doing everything right, but something is improving .

just sounds like an off axis torque problem would be really unstable and not very dependable or accurate.
Sorry - I figured someone had already described OAT.

The problem I saw is that you are turning your wrist over in your follow through, which means that is starting before you release your disc. When you turn your wrist over like that, it will make many discs turn right more then is intended. Yes, it makes a nice S-curve, but if you do it flat without turning your wrist over, once you get that S-curve from power it will be even further.
Play however feels good- just know that you will lose potential power and length by flipping your wrist over.

How long is your Wraith on that S-curve now?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:09 PM

Well, my wraith is a beat up one, so it makes it more flippy than a new one would be. but on a good throw I can get it out as far as my vulcan almost, which is max at about 375. most courses around me don't need a powerful drive to get close to, so its hard to get better at distance when I rarely need it.

I guess the wraith probably goes straight about 100 ft before it starts to turn over. and my beat up one sometimes turns too hard if i throw it too hard.

I'm planning on getting a new wraith soon.

I think I must be turning it over because lack of practice throwing backhand. This is really the first year I have thrown RHBH on almost every shot. So thanks for pointing that out and I'll try to pay more attention to that next time I'm out.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:18 PM

not sure if you've seen this, but this is a slow motion version of my throw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-TzK...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperspike View Post
discing down was the best thing to happen to my game, EVER. i can get WAY more distance since i corrected my form.
Not me, I tried this and all my distance has been sapped out of me. I've been struggling to get it back ever since.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 43
You'll get there, Aces!

Sidenote:

OP, why come here, ask questions, and then crap on everyone's answer?

These guys and gals are taking time out of their days to help you get better. You asked for it. Why are you being a turd about all of their advice?

They're giving you legit advice. Your discs are old and you have form flaws.

My other question: Who throws a Vulcan, anyway?

Old 10-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 51
Just go get a groove. It is the farthest disc.