Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Wind and Stability

Hi guys I have a question. I'm kinda a noob(about 2 years) and I keep hearing about how you should throw overstable discs into a headwind. Why, what happens? Does it straighten them out(say a XXX)? Turn understable discs even more? What about tailwinds, the opposite? And how does it effect D? Most of the courses around here are heavily wooded so you're pretty sheltered from the elements. Thanks guys, just curious.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 29
head wind increases the air speed over disc
the effect being that the disc acts as if flying faster so to speak

this means that the flight characteristics of some discs can be exceeded i.e. an understable disc can turn over
or an overstable disc can hold a straight line longer before fading

a tail wind effectively decreases the wind speed over the disc making it act like it is flying slower
or the flight characteristics of the disc are not being met so an understable disc can act (more) stable (i.e. straighter) or an overstable disc even more so

use the wind to your advantage
into a head wind you can throw a faster disc or more overstable disc for the straight to left fade
or you can get hyzer flips or turnovers

into a tail wind for distance I would suggest something slower (i.e. not a speed 13 driver) in order to get far

i.e. can can easily outdrive myself with a Saint vs a Bolt in a tailwind
Old 10-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 32
You pretty much got it. Overstable discs are straightened out in a headwind and understable discs turn even more. Tailwinds straighten out understable discs, and make overstable discs even more overstable. I have a xXx, and it is so overstable, that it still will fade when thrown into a headwind. I use a Predator more often in mild headwinds.

As far as distance is concerned, you will probably lose a bit of distance into a headwind, but if you learn your discs, it won't be much. With tailwinds, you can gain quite a bit of distance with practice in them.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:43 PM
DGCR Vendor

This is something we cover in the inFlight Guide in the "Factors Affecting Disc Flight" section:

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/cont...ge_id=573#Wind

For another take:

http://www.discraft.com/res_wind06_p1.html
Old 10-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 47
I see that others have already responded but I think of it this way. Warning - my terminology may not be technically correct but hopefully you'll understand.

The stability depends on the difference in lift on the right and left side of the disc. For a RHBH throw a head wind is going to basically increase the relative air flow on the left side and decrease it on the right - causing the left side to rise more and turn the disc to the right. So a disc that would normally go left will end up going straight or right depending on the amount of head wind.

Just the opposite occurs in tail winds.

Once you learn how the wind affects the flight path you can use it to your advantage with S-turns or Flex shot. Most of the max distance lines use the winds.

You didn't specifically ask but wind can also dramatically affect putting - headwinds make putts sail high and tail winds make them drop.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 34
Everyone has covered this pretty well, but one other thing to consider when dealing with wind is weight. Heavier discs will be less affected by winds, so when shooting into a headwind or with a crosswind you'll want more weight than you normally use. With a tailwind, a lightweight disc will be your best bet for sheer distance as the wind will carry it further and easier.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Bogey Member

Okay that makes total sense. I never would've thought to throw something slower with a tailwind. That's why this place is great! Thanks for the info!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Bogey Member

No kidding about putters?!? Now I have another reason to throw my Pig instead of the around the tree fade shots. Thanks again guys!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 19
Cat Stevens said it best...

Quote:
I listen to the wind
to the wind of my soul
Where I'll end up well I think,
only God really knows
Good luck.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 47
I did a quick search on cross winds and got some conflicting answers. So I'll somewhat thread jack and ask - assuming no intended hyzer or anhyzer release, do cross winds to anything other than push the disc sideways?

For example - for RHBH does a R to L crosswind make the disc rise since there's more lift on the leading edge like I postulated for headwinds causing more lift on the left.