Old 10-02-2012, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
lots of variables

if the disc is understable with a RHBH and R to L wind it is possible, if the wind is ever so slightly not purely from the side then the disc could still turn into it and actually get pushed down rather than up

otherwise it is possible to get some lift...I think you would mostly see this with a glidey disc

I've often seen "wind bumps" with my Saints that I don't think I've actually seen with my EXPs for example
Old 10-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 36
Good descriptions ManU, helps me too. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 32
just be careful when your putting into a headwind like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6vjQ6H37nA
Old 10-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by KniceZ View Post
I did a quick search on cross winds and got some conflicting answers. So I'll somewhat thread jack and ask - assuming no intended hyzer or anhyzer release, do cross winds to anything other than push the disc sideways?

For example - for RHBH does a R to L crosswind make the disc rise since there's more lift on the leading edge like I postulated for headwinds causing more lift on the left.
I can't answer that question directly, but I'll say that I never try to release flat with any kind of cross wind. I try to use it or fight it with angle of release depending on its direction and what I am trysting to accomplish. I also try to use stable (straight, not overstable) discs whenever possible to keep from having the disc change its angle relative to the wind on me.

Just in case someone doesn't know, wind hitting the top of the disc pushes it down, and wind hitting the bottom of the disc makes it rise. So a R to L wind will push a hyzer (assuming RHBH) more and knock down an anhyzer.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 12
You know that's a good question. Over the summer I was practicing with a really light Blizzard Katana(134) and a few good R to L gusts came thru. In flight my disc would jump up about 5' then come right back down to it's original path. I think it was over exaggerated due to the weight but I think you're right about the leading edge packing air and producing more lift. Something to try out during the next storm I guess.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 54
L-R and R-L should change the air pressures on the leading and tailing edge. RHBH and L-R wind, relative wind speed is increased on the tailing edge, and decreased on the leading edge.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
You didn't specifically ask but wind can also dramatically affect putting - headwinds make putts sail high and tail winds make them drop.
Idk if it's good to do, but I change if I'm throwing flat, noseup(tailwind), or nose down(headwind) for putts with crazy wind.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 47
I would think that putting more nose-up with a tail wind would just expose the top of disc to the wind and push it down even more.

I usually putt the same way and shift my aim point up/down/left/right depending on wind direction.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
I would think that putting more nose-up with a tail wind would just expose the top of disc to the wind and push it down even more.

I usually putt the same way and shift my aim point up/down/left/right depending on wind direction.
It does, but I just put it up a little from my usual toss. It seems to work for me.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 82
Quote:
I did a quick search on cross winds and got some conflicting answers. So I'll somewhat thread jack and ask - assuming no intended hyzer or anhyzer release, do cross winds to anything other than push the disc sideways?

For example - for RHBH does a R to L crosswind make the disc rise since there's more lift on the leading edge like I postulated for headwinds causing more lift on the left.
Yes. The inbounds disc golf article linked on the first page describes it well.

If you are throwing right hand back hand, and there is a cross wind coming from the right, then the turn and fade characteristics of your disc will be increased. In such a strong cross wind, you might want to throw with just a little hyzer and let the wind lift it for extra distance. Definitely avoid an anhyzer release or it will get slammed down immediately. Typically, a less stable disc is better into such a wind if throwing backhand with some hyzer, but be careful not to turn it over so that it heads into that wind, or else the wind will affect it like a headwind and keep turning it until it starts affecting it like a tailwind. I've seen discs actually boomerang and land a couple of hundred feet behind the player in such a situation.

If you have a low ceiling though, you you should probably right hand forehand. Or just forehand into such a wind regardless. It's always a good safe option. The disc will fly further and finish straighter because that cross wind will act like a headwind as it tries to fade into it, and take the fade off. You'll need a really stable disc if you actually want to finish right into such a wind, and be careful not to get that nose down at the end. You'll need it to finish flat or it will get slammed down.

The opposite applies for cross wind from the left. If you are throwing right hand backhand, then the cross wind will make your disc turn and fade less, like forehanding into a right to left cross wind. You can backhand it with a little anhyzer to catch more lift for more distance, and maybe use a little more stable disc to make sure it comes back. If you have to right hand forehand into such a wind, you have to be very careful, as in the case of throwing right hand back hand into a right to left cross wind.

Of course, reverse the above for lefties.