Disc Golf Store
Old 10-04-2012, 09:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Js73 View Post
No kidding about putters?!? Now I have another reason to throw my Pig instead of the around the tree fade shots. Thanks again guys!

I wouldn't throw something as stable as a pig in a tailwind. A slower disc in a tailwind works great because it glides better at lower speeds, and the wind traveling in the same direction as the disc makes it seem to the disc like it is traveling a lower speed.That's why it fades much faster though. So you will want to use a really understable and slow disc in a tailwind and throw it high and nose down. You can also flex a lightweight disc high in a tailwind so it flips over nose down and the wind catches it as it flexes back. That's how Wiggins threw his record distance throw with a blizzard boss.

Tailwind can be very tricky on low lines, since you can't throw anything high. If the ground is good for it, you can throw something understable and skippy, like a dx leopard, or a roller. Tailwinds really straighten out a roller for extra distance. But if the ground is not right, and you have a low line, you probably just need to take something like a stingray or your least stable putter and lay up to a place where you can take a good stance and get a good line, and maybe even more favorable wind conditions.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by KniceZ View Post

For example - for RHBH does a R to L crosswind make the disc rise since there's more lift on the leading edge like I postulated for headwinds causing more lift on the left.
Specifically to this, I would caution that the right to left cross wind can turn the disc right if thrown flat and produce that boomerang effect I mentioned above. I always try to release with at least some hyzer when throwing rhbh into such a strong cross wind, and I'm careful not to throw in such a way as to turn it over even to flat, or it will get turned into the wind very quickly and go right and maybe even around and back if the wind is strong enough.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 12
You're exactly right about crosswinds. Last night we had a front come in so I thought to do a little testing. Wih R to L my discs would glide longer and sometimes have the "lift bumps". Anything understade would turn more if thrown flat. Definetily not good when a little OAT came into play and trees/bushes were on the right. Talk about puckering when it started and crossing my fingers for the fade. And just the opposite for the L to R. Probably 50 to 75' less distance, low, and I don't think anything understable turned for me. Slightly overstable discs seems to like it though, my Havoc had minimal low speed fade ending up just where I was aiming but short.

As to putting with the Pig you're right as well, definetily a headwind putter. After I picked up a Pure that thing mostly collects dust in my bag and my Ryhno is out. Love that putter!