Disc Golf Store
Old 06-25-2011, 08:17 AM
Par Member

Need strategy for Doubles

My bro and I are going to enter our second Doubles Tournament next month and we need a good strategy to work on as we get ready for the tourny. We screwed up our first tourny bad and I think it was because we had no plan / strategy. Were really not that bad, just made too many bad shots on the same throws. He's got the power and I got accuracy, so I think we should make a good team. Just looking for a few pointers, so we at least have a plan this time round. ty
Old 06-25-2011, 08:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
The "standard" doubles strategy is the first thrower plays it safe, and the second player "goes for it."

If your first player makes a mistake (which happens) then as the second thrower, you now have to decide if you can make the comeback from his if you going for it goes badly, otherwise, you should just try to play it safe too.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Par Member

So on drives the player with accuracy throws first. How about on putting ?
Old 06-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 24
Same strategy for a dangerous putt. For a non-dangerous putt, go with psychology - the one who thrives under pressure putts last. If you and your bro are about the same skill level, you may want to alternate putting to keep each of you in practice during the round.

Edit: You may want to reverse the strategy for putting, and have the first person go for it. The second person can always lay up if necessary, but a go-for-it putt may stay close enough for an easy come-back. Doubles puts a pretty high premium on making long putts, so you want to give yourself as many chances to make a makeable putt as possible.

Last edited by Monocacy; 06-25-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 33
Putting depends on your confidence. I personally say unless there is a sloped green or some hazard you both should always go for it, because at least one of you should be able to make the comeback on safe greens,

For risky greens, same as driving, but have the worse putter lay up (since he's less likely to make it) and have the better putter go for it.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:46 AM

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 23
I would say the better putter should go second. It will take the pressure off the lesser putter.

I would add though, that don't be afraid to change things up during a round if things are not going the way you would like. Sometimes, it's enough to spark some life into a struggling team.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 136
Send a message via AIM to New013
every time i try to use this strategy with one of my friends he looks at me and says... "live a little, throw the disc at the basket."
Old 06-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Par Member

Thanks, this is good stuff. We got some pratice matches tomoro so we'll try this out. Last time we played we both would "go for it" and wound up in trouble, the more trouble we got in the harder we'd go for the next shot. I think we ended up dead last. lol
Old 06-25-2011, 09:30 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
Something to consider if neither of you throws this way is learn how to loft putt and stall approach. Both techniques allow you to go for it as the first thrower but have a lower risk of ending up in a poor position if you miss. I think the loft putt is self explanatory and is sometimes easier for people to throw from a straddle versus foot forward position.

At the risk of explaining a shot you already know, the stall approach is a carry over from the Frisbee world, and in fact using a disc like a Zephyr can work well if you can't get the technique down using the putter or mid-range you normally use for approaches. If you're throwing RHBH, you throw straight, aim slightly to the right & higher than the basket, and with the nose of the disc slightly up. The disc should essentially fly straight and die at the basket falling to the left into the chains. Good luck.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Banned

A strategy worth considering would be getting a new partner.