Old 09-28-2016, 10:51 AM
Double Eagle Member
Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default proposing a new park?

Hey guys... I am thinking about my next course proposal. With my current project probably finishing in the next 1 to 2 years... i have a new idea.

I want something that will last generations. Has anybody ever tried to propose a new park?

My county has several very small parks, but only one larger county park big enough for an 18 hole course, and one state park. Those are both on the western most side of the county. I live on the eastern side of the county, and would like to get a larger sized park over here big enough for an 18 hole coirse, maybe some bike trails, maybe a skate park eventually.

Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks, Zach
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2016, 01:28 PM
Double Eagle Member
Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH

No experience, but here's what I would try:

See if the county auditors website will show you properties owned by the county. Look for a nice big empty parcel and go from there.

I did see where the State of Ohio owns a big chunk, but it's in the western portion:

Maybe look at local cities/towns and see if they own unused land. There is an old city dump in our county that would be perfect, a small portion of it is used by the police as a shooting range.

Back when Ohio counties were formed , a section of each township was set aside for schools, you may find one of these sections no longer being used?

Good luck.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:26 PM
* Ace Member *
Years Playing: 42.4
Courses Played: 262

Look up the Ohio "Recreational Use Statute". That will expand your list of potential landowners to corporations and farms.

If they have land they're not using, they might be willing to let it be a park. They can still keep the land. See Water Power Park in Minneapolis for an example.

I came real close to getting a new course under a broadcast tower. If only some eco-terrorists had waited another week to attack a tower in another part of the country....