Critique My Throw. Videos included

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRzgUnlbiEU&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JVXTmFeLgQ&feature=plcp
Old 10-03-2012, 05:29 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
One of your problems is something I struggle with myself, and that is keeping the nose down. Pause your video while you're reaching back and again at the release. I'd be willing to bet that you very rarely see 275' drives because of it, and most of your drives stall out prematurely and dive to the left.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 81
honestly i don't think it's all that bad, not "ideal" but you're not overtorquing. the behind view doesn't show nose up release but i see a little bit of it in the side view. you're not overtorquing the disc and you do get it to flip up. What disc was that? must be something with high low speed stability. A more understable disc like a mid-weight River or Leopard probably would have flattened out and held a straight line to the ground.

As far as a tip for improving quickly, you're not getting full hip rotation. try to get your butt facing toward your target more between your 2nd and 3rd step. Your reachback is coming around a little too much. try to keep it more infront of you. But you do a good job of colapsing into/infront of the chest on pull through.

Last edited by jrawk; 10-03-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:21 PM

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 20
Actually, I average about 340 on level ground. But I feel like there is a lot of room for improvement. I've always been able to throw far, whether it be a baseball, frisbee, or football. Just haven't quite mastered the disc yet. I know the key to throwing far is using your arm as a whip and controlling it with your body.

The video from behind shows a poor flight because I was throwing a new disc I am not used to, the destroyer. I threw it better later on that day. It was still a typical looking throw tho, so I uploaded it.

My wraith and vulcan straighten out much better. but I'm still jealous of the guys that can throw well over 400. Gonna keep practicing till I can too. Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll work on turning my back around more and getting more swing out of my hips. and I have noticed that I throw with the nose up a little, working on that. glad to hear I do SOME things right lol.

any more advice is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 78
Throwing Style: LHBH
Keep the disc tighter to your body and power back the arm speed till you can get the same distance with less power. If you can baby a throw to 350' you will hit 400' when trying.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 136
Send a message via AIM to New013
I'd try slowing down your x-step for now and focus more on getting a full hip rotation and pull through on point. There's nothing wrong with your x-step I just think that you're definitely losing a lot of leg power in the transition because of your half hip rotation; it's not all fitting together in a fluid, slowly accelerating motion. This is something I see in a lot of players who want to throw farther because you're trying to put more in to the throw with your body but don't quite have the right mechanics for it to translate.

Start with getting a full hip rotation and getting your ass to basket as Jrawk suggested, that will help you get your pull through more in a straight line through your right pec. Right now because you're not fully rotating you're pulling through with a slight fan swing and some nose angle issues. The disc should go back and then come in a straight line through your right pec in to the hit.

You do have the general idea right but you just need to adjust some things and you'll be on your way. Just keep in mind most of your power comes solely from the explosion when the disc gets to your right pec and your arm extension afterwards, everything up to that point is just a fluid motion that puts you in a good position for the hit.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfMaster View Post
Just haven't quite mastered the disc yet.
Irony that the DiscGolfMaster hasn't mastered the disc
Old 10-03-2012, 05:14 PM

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 20
Thanks New013. I'll work on turning my hips more. Just uploaded a slow motion version of the side view shot. I'm not totally sure, but looks like I need to work on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-TzK...ature=youtu.be

1. Turn hips more to accomplish a straighter pull across the chest. which would probably help with accuracy.
2. Nose down my disc more, definitely looks nose up, but I'm no expert.
3. Work on making it more fluid, which comes with practice.

anything else?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 81
stop the slow-mo video at 0:18. Look at your plant foot. it's already pointing half way toward your target, so you're not fully posting and pivoting on it.

Compare it to Ulibarri's throw in this video starting at 0:36:

http://youtu.be/mDXlv1AG7eg?t=37s

Just focus on turning your hips backwards more as you take that last step in your X and your foot should correct itself.

If it feels very uncomfortable, you're probably doing it right. It's not a natural feeling motion until you practice it over and over.

Last edited by jrawk; 10-03-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
Piling on above, you are too focused on moving your body back and then forward. Stay more centered for better rotation. Working from a standstill will help and totally slowing down. It will feel totally weird and really compact, like you won't get much on the disc, but it will begin to shoot out much faster. Also your aim is off from your line up, it will be much more backwards when you get your elbow involved in the throw. That also leads your elbow not getting forward of the shoulders.