Old 10-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Image matters. Plain and simple.

You can disagree with what image you want to convey, but we still judge books by their covers.

(As I did just a few posts ago)
Speak for yourself. I don't judge people by their image. And I don't want the rules shaped by a bunch of people with issues like that. I want to see players play as well as possible, I don't even care if he played shirtless. Plenty of legitimate sports are contested shirtless for performance reasons. This is county club golf mentality and it's silly. So there
Old 10-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 7
Half of the Dri-Fits people wore to the USDGC didn't have collars I'm sure
Old 10-07-2012, 07:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspunch View Post
Speak for yourself. I don't judge people by their image.
I'm sorry, but you do. We all do. Whether you catch yourself doing it is another matter.

It's not my opinion, but a fact that image matters. And it matters most when the PDGA is trying to expand DG, especially when they want to attract bigger sponsors, and change the perception of the game.

It may be "country club" and a smack in the face to the roots of disc golf. But, it's where we're at today.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 58
Quote:
Who gives a crap what clothes the players are wearing? Play in something that's comfortable.
Disclaimer: Everything below is based on social norms. If you disagree with them, do not read any further.

Can't our finest pros play in something that's comfortable and professional? Dressing professionally tells someone that you take your position seriously and expect respect. And it is my opinion that you should want respect for any hard earned position you have gained.

It's a workplace. Restrictions are made in every workplace as to what is acceptable. Call it "country club mentality," but in very few workplaces is image not a concern... Especially in the category of respected, professional sports.

The athletes are entertainers, particularly in the larger events.

I am not criticizing any competitor's personal style, simply arguing that in the public eye, dress is a very important means of conveying information
Old 10-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhoffman09 View Post
Disclaimer: Everything below is based on social norms. If you disagree with them, do not read any further.

Can't our finest pros play in something that's comfortable and professional? Dressing professionally tells someone that you take your position seriously and expect respect. And it is my opinion that you should want respect for any hard earned position you have gained.

It's a workplace. Restrictions are made in every workplace as to what is acceptable. Call it "country club mentality," but in very few workplaces is image not a concern... Especially in the category of respected, professional sports.

The athletes are entertainers, particularly in the larger events.

I am not criticizing any competitor's personal style, simply arguing that in the public eye, dress is a very important means of conveying information
Well said sir. I completely agree.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 82
In the spirit of the original topic, my two cents is that they coverage of this event was a big step in the right direction. Multiple cameras. Helicam. Talking heads at a central location. Huge advances.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 58
Agreed. The DGP.tv broadcast is definitely improving. The flyover shots were awesome. Immediate, post round interview was well coordinated and the multi-view coverage was great.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Speak for yourself. I don't judge people by their image. And I don't want the rules shaped by a bunch of people with issues like that. I want to see players play as well as possible, I don't even care if he played shirtless. Plenty of legitimate sports are contested shirtless for performance reasons. This is county club golf mentality and it's silly. So there
So, if the PDGA wants big sponsors like nike and big coverage like ESPN (which they do, as do most of us), ESPN is going to ask to see some footage. The pdga will say "sure, here's coverage of the final round of this sport's most prestigious event." They will then see anthon wearing his affliction shirt and backwards hat and think "wow, this is what the top players dress like? This really must be a hippie sport." And the sport is set back another few years.

Will and Ricky both wore collared shirts, and they both looked comfortable. In fact, they both played great. What's wrong with wearing athletic, collared shirts and somewhat nice shorts?

Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 315
I find Ricky Fowler's dress on the PGA tour much more annoying than Anthon's this weekend. I could care less either way but I guess it's not ok to wear your hat backwards these days.
http://www.weiunderpar.com/wp-conten...1112881621.jpg