Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

View Poll Results: What new MVP disc do you want next?
Understable Putter 23 10.85%
Overstable/fast Putter 16 7.55%
Understable Mid 33 15.57%
Faster(maybe small diameter) straight mid 8 3.77%
Faster(maybe small diameter) overstable mid 13 6.13%
Understable control driver 64 30.19%
Overstable control/utility driver 51 24.06%
Distance driver 61 28.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2012, 02:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreadwell View Post
What would that look like though? The whole rim being like the Ion rim with a neutron/proton plate? With the lack of premium plastic lids out there, I imagine they would sell well even if they just made a lid entirely out of solid Neutron or Proton plastic. That being said, what would people think about putting the more rubbery plastic on the inside of the lid rim for superior grip? I would buy one of those in a heartbeat!
There are premium plastic lids out there, both made by Wham-o(china) and by Innova (hero and supersonic). There are also overmolded lids made by Aerobie, but they don't seem that gyroscopic. I imagine an MVP lid to have the whole rim(inside and out) as the overmold, and only a thin flightplate of proton.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 24
What situation would one use lid on the course? The only time I see lids on course are Gregg Hosfield for putting and a local guy for FH putting. I have Zypher (sp?) 195g which is nice for throw and catch (nice to feel extra weight).
Old 10-04-2012, 02:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by 811rv View Post
What situation would one use lid on the course? The only time I see lids on course are Gregg Hosfield for putting and a local guy for FH putting. I have Zypher (sp?) 195g which is nice for throw and catch (nice to feel extra weight).
For catch and if it flew awesome enough maybe for longer frisbee-style runs at the basket. They would also hold a low power slight anny to the ground at short distances.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 811rv View Post
What situation would one use lid on the course?
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
For catch and if it flew awesome enough maybe for longer frisbee-style runs at the basket. They would also hold a low power slight anny to the ground at short distances.
This plus:
-get out of trouble shots, especially if your movement is limited
-airbounces and stalls
-any approach you need to stick
-crazy lines around trees
-extreme downhill tunnel shots, especially shorter holes where a blowby would hurt.
-just plain fun

Having a lid in the bag has really livened up my rounds on courses where a lot of NAGS* are possible because you can make an aggressive run at the basket with a fair chance of going in and not get punished much on a blowby. It's just a lot more precise than a conventional putter or mid. I also think it would be a great disc for getting a lot of older school DGers into MVP because you can expose them to it by playing catch.

*Not A Golf Shot, those in-between a throw and a putt approaches where you just basically kill a stroke laying up for a gimmee putt.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
There are premium plastic lids out there, both made by Wham-o(china) and by Innova (hero and supersonic). There are also overmolded lids made by Aerobie, but they don't seem that gyroscopic. I imagine an MVP lid to have the whole rim(inside and out) as the overmold, and only a thin flightplate of proton.
Sounds sexy! I liked the Sonic for the grip and lid like qualities but they kept breaking on me so I gave them up. I didn't want to try a premium like the champ zephyr because champ has such poor grip. A premium MVP lid with a grippy rim would be the balls.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswoods1984 View Post
How about an MVP version of the Epic? lol.... Is that even possible?
It almost happened............
j/k
At one point it was a possibility that the MVP website would launch in early April, and I proposed launching with an April Fool's prank to announce the first driver -- an overmolded Epic.

Several years ago on DGR I photoshopped a Champ Epic in-hand pic and had another user disseminate it. The speculation (ON April Fool's Day) got to the point where someone asked Dave D if it was true.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 37
Just saw they have Z Xputtrs too. WTF?
Old 10-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 35
I still think we're getting ahead of ourselves. I need to see/throw the Volt before I can say what I think MVP could do next.

But as Bro-D can attest I love a lid and can do nasty things with them. I say they need to make a flat top Polecat style disc. and yes they can do an overmold on a lid.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHFH
Epic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMson View Post
It almost happened............
j/k
At one point it was a possibility that the MVP website would launch in early April, and I proposed launching with an April Fool's prank to announce the first driver -- an overmolded Epic.

Several years ago on DGR I photoshopped a Champ Epic in-hand pic and had another user disseminate it. The speculation (ON April Fool's Day) got to the point where someone asked Dave D if it was true.
That is awesome lol. It's a silly idea for MVP, but at the same time, I do still feel that if the Epic wasn't made with the cheapest garbage plastic in existence, it might actually be a solid disc. When I pull out a fresh Epic, I'm been able to throw 500+ with a thumber, but once you hit a tree, it will never fly the same again, and will often have a nice gouge in the side. Would be interesting though, you should mock up a picture of what you think an MVP Epic would look like.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 PM
* Ace Member *

I should have included Soft Neutron Anode in the poll...