Disc Golf Store
Old 10-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 21
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Gummy star plastic?

I just came across a F2 Star TL the other day that was just as gummy and soft as the Pro TL.. In fact I though it was a pro TL until I saw the *TL marking..

Every other star plastic I have handled is hard and slick. Just wondering if anyone has any info on this..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 01:57 PM

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
I have a gummy Echo Star Excaliber and a gummy Star Orc. The other few star discs I own have that more firm feeling.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
I've run across some good runs of gummy star plastic. I've found that a good majoritiy of the red star plastic is tacky and gummy. It seems like some of the orange plastic is softer too. Star plastic is anything from hard and slick to soft and tacky/gummy, you have to shop around to find what you like.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCenchanted View Post
I've run across some good runs of gummy star plastic. I've found that a good majoritiy of the red star plastic is tacky and gummy. It seems like some of the orange plastic is softer too. Star plastic is anything from hard and slick to soft and tacky/gummy, you have to shop around to find what you like.
So right... I have a Star Teebird that is hard as a rock and now this Star TL which is gummy.. I usually throw champ and there are very little variances in grip, but recently got some beat up star plastic that I have been enjoying and figured I'd give the plastic a go.

Is the gummy stuff as durable?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 42
Gummy stuff, if it is "true" gummy goodness, should be even more durable due to the fact that it can absorb impacts better. But I don't know if the Star plastic fits the bill. If you can't fold it in half, it's not a "true" gummy disc. But the "true" factor doesn't really matter as long as it hits and sticks!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 18
Yep, I've found this to be the case as well. Luckily Disc Golf World here in KC is great and will let you search through their stacks in the warehouse to find what you want. But you gotta search for the odd gummy ones. I don't think it's any particular runs, but just kind of hit and miss as to when you find a gummy one.

I found a bubblegum pink leopard w/ blueish and white streaks that was the gummiest, grippiest plastic ever. Grip feels more like X-link or soft Vibram than any star plastic, but the disc itself is quite rigid. It feels great, but unfortunately for me flies like no leopard I've ever thrown. It's not a meathook, but it's more overstable than a champ teebird. Obviously not what I was looking for in a leopard, so unfortunately it never gets thrown.

On a related note, I've asked this in other threads but never saw an answer. I know that mids like the mako and roc are all in a softer grippier blend of star than normal. They're not gummy, but much softer than what I've felt in any other star plastic. Does anyone know if other molds are being molded with this plastic as well? I could really get down with a teebird or leopard in that blend, but I don't know if it's exclusive to the mids. Any info is much appreciated.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
I too really like the feel of the star plastic used for the roc and mako...
Old 10-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Par Member

This would be a good one to ask Dave D. on the PDGA forums..
Old 10-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 28
I have a star firebird that is quite gummy. It's blue but has a marble swirly thing going on with it. It's not as meaty as most firebirds either. It does have healthy fade but not a biting fade.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Innova's plastic is getting weird lately. I've got a newer champion eagle and the plastic is identical to my S-line gremlin, same exact color(wine colored), flexibility, opacity, grip and all.