Old 07-15-2013, 08:08 PM

McLaren Park, San Francisco

My first post on DGR,

I wanted to post on the "Disc Golf Not as Green as it seems" thread but it is too old..

I live/work near McLaren park and it really is a beautiful park. And I would love to see a disc golf course installed. It's sad really that the community of dog walker's and some pseudo-environmentalist show such fierce opposition. They just don't want to share the 317 acres.

Here is a pretty good video of the park with a brief history:
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

People need this open space... I'm people right?

/begin rant

I am just curious how someone, Ken McGary - Save Mclaren Park, who owns an electronics design company (KSF Labs) can have such a clean conscience regarding the environment. I'm curious how many of his products are RoHS compliant? Maybe it's all the solder fumes Ken has been breathing over the years.

I truly believe even John McLaren himself would want to bring more people to the park. And the "damage" to (non-native) Monterey Cypress/Pine and Blue Gum Eucalyptus tree's doesn't bother me in the slightest. We planted them in 1929, we can plant more.

Take a look at the top of San Bruno mountain to the south, this is what the park would look like without the touch of humans. Any large trees you see are not native.

/end rant
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Eagle Member

Yep, seems like a great location for a Disc Golf course. Apparently, it is also greatly needed because the one in Golden Gate Park is overcrowded. And it seems like this is exactly what this land was zoned for.

But people just don't want to share, and will make up all kinds of reasons to justify it.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 545
Throwing Style: RHBH
I've been following this for almost ten years. This topic comes up annually about Mcclaren. I don't think it's going to happen since its been his long. I would love it and I have seen the las three proposed maps and ideas, but there is always the annual news articles about how disc golf will destroy the park. It sucks and wish someone could dedicate there full time to fight against the activists. Good luck.