Old 11-04-2012, 08:43 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
mashnut's form

This first throw is with an SPD, it flipped from hyzer to flat, faded out and went a little over 400':

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

The second throw is with a DX Roc, I threw it with a touch of hyzer, it turned a little and faded out, went about 315':

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

I notice on the first throw that I rolled my wrist under a little, that wasn't intentional. It also looks to me like I'm releasing the disc lower than I'm pulling through. Any advice or critique is welcomed. Thanks!

Last edited by mashnut; 11-04-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
You're not leading with your hips.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:18 PM
*Super Moderator*

Thanks, that's really obvious now that I look back at those videos. Looks like I need to get my hips turned more away from the target and start the hips rotating before my shoulders start to open up, correct? Anything else you see?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:22 PM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Thanks, that's really obvious now that I look back at those videos. Looks like I need to get my hips turned more away from the target and start the hips rotating before my shoulders start to open up, correct? Anything else you see?
^Following that advice will probably eliminate what you showed me in that funky still shot, where you were all contorted. I think that was an effect of you not leading with your hips but with your arm.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: LHBH
i am kind of suprised you are releasing the disc so low in the vids, i really didnt catch that when we played and i was paying attention ..at least i thought i was
Old 11-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 17
Whenever I'm not leading with my hips it's usually because I'm putting my left heel on the ground in my x-step, which is what you're doing. If I focus on staying on my toes during my run-up my hips just naturally open sooner. With your heel on the ground like that you can't swing your left knee in toward your other leg until your foot is off the ground. It makes you pull your back foot along with your hip instead of using it to drive your hip forward.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:01 PM
* Ace Member *

It's tricky explaining, but Juke is correct about your core being contorted and fixing the hips should help that. It all starts at the backswing where you kind of over heave your arm/disc and weight, and also get flat footed. Instead of actively bringing the disc backward, you can work your body more around the disc and stay taller/lighter, more relaxed and fluid rhythmically. Turning the hips back more will help, but also helps to turn them back later. You're not getting braced on the front side correctly and you kinda reverse pivot your weight back past your heel so it doesn't really get forward. You also stride really long off the rear leg, try getting more squatty.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:29 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
It's tricky explaining, but Juke is correct about your core being contorted and fixing the hips should help that. It all starts at the backswing where you kind of over heave your arm/disc and weight, and also get flat footed. Instead of actively bringing the disc backward, you can work your body more around the disc and stay taller/lighter, more relaxed and fluid rhythmically. Turning the hips back more will help, but also helps to turn them back later. You're not getting braced on the front side correctly and you kinda reverse pivot your weight back past your heel so it doesn't really get forward. You also stride really long off the rear leg, try getting more squatty.
I'm not sure I understand the bolded part. Also, I agree on the taller/lighter and that the step is too long, but I don't understand what you mean by getting squatty.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:30 PM
*Super Moderator*

Also, I know I've seen it before, but not totally clear on what you mean by reverse pivot.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Reverse pivot is maybe not the right term, but your weight is redirected or not coming through the shot properly.

Working more around the disc should help the over heaving issue and this should help understand the over heaving and bracing:

Know your squat: