Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 6
New player. Practice routine for field work?

Let me preface my question by freely admitting that I'm terrible. I only started playing at the end of August and at most have played twice in any one week since. Maybe 20 rounds total. On non-pitch and put courses I'm lucky if I par each hole. On average I'll bogie each hole, sometimes a double if I start with a long putt.

I've discovered the Mark Ellis video on a routine to practice putting. I can't really find any information on a routine for field work (it's probably out there and I missed it). I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what has worked for them, or with what they know, a suggestion that might work for me. All areas of my game need improving, driving, up shots, backhand forehand. I've recently developed some nasty OAT in my drive and I'm going to head out to the field to try and remedy it. I have very limited free time, I would just like to make the best of it.

I have a strong desire to improve, I really enjoy this game and would love to compete on an amature level some day.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:12 AM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 213
I had success practicing Dan Beato's Right Pec drill that is in the sticky section.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 AM
* Ace Member *

when field throwing i found it helpful to have something to aim at. Throw different lines with the same disc ( annies hyzers spikes etc. ) Dont throw too many at one point i try to keep it under ten throws each side. Field work can help a ton, but do not over do it.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
I like fields that are not totally open. I like to have trees to both aim at, as well as obstacles to go around. I usually look of a pretty big gap between some trees with another tree to aim at on the other side. Then I unload all my drivers trying for relatively the same flight path (except for my super under stables). Then I re adjust my target and unload my mids. Same with putters. Then I gather them all up and try again but with anny lines. Then again with Hyzer lines, then I'll switch to my thumber discs and run those for a couple of rounds.

When I spot trouble on any particular part of my game, I stop and focus on just those throws until I either figure it out, or start screwing it up more. I usually only spend about an hour out there. After that I start to lose focus. Oh yeah, FOCUS! Focus on each shot like its in a game.

Also, if you can, set up a video camera. Compare your throw to top pro's on youtube and post your vids here for critique.

Disclaimer- I'm not very good.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: RHBH
What these guys said. Don't just go out and throw to be throwing. Have a target area. Move your "teebox" around. With putts, I like to practice around trees and such. Most of the courses in my area are tree-heavy so just practicing "straight" putts only covers part of my putting needs. In my field practicing, I like to take my innova traveler basket. I set it up and practice putting first to loosen up my arm (stretch before you start as well). Then I work in my mids on some throws. I focus mostly on my mids and then late in the practice round I go to my drivers. The biggest thing is just getting out there to do it. Good luck bro................jb
Old 10-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 6
Thanks guys.

I'm really confident in my mental potential for the game. While I don't have any experience with the game itself, my past experience with other competitive games/sports gives me confidence that those skills (patience, not going on tilt etc) will translate to Disc Golf.

I know enough about sports to know that a lot of it is technique and muscle memory. My hand-eye coordination is pretty good since I was a basketball player in my youth. But when it comes to throwing a disc my technique isn't there. I don't have the God-given raw talent to rip a disc 400+ feet.

I'm a competitor by nature, so I hate being terrible. I've never played ball golf so I don't know if it's the same way. But my thinking is; when I'm out on the course with my friends, I'm not playing against them, I'm playing against the course and myself. Whatever they do isn't going to influence my shots. I'm going to try and make smart choices, correct disc selection to get the lowest score possible. Is this a poor way of thinking? Should I, when I start competing, adjust my game to the way the rest of the players are playing? Sorry this is off topic, but I'm at work and my mind is wandering!

As a side note. I'm pleasantly surprised by the Disc Golf community. Everyone on the forums and even out on the course seems good natured and helpful. I'm sure there's bad seeds out there (it's only natural) but I was a competitive video game player where the community is immature and not helpful at all, so I'm appreciative of how helpful you guys are, thank you!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
Definitely play the course not your friends. However there will be exceptions when you get into tournaments. If you only want 1st place then you might have to take some risks if your opponents are ahead of you near the end of the last round.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 72
The best way to get productive field practice is to go in with a set goal in mind. It can change each time you go out there, but have a purpose, don't just go out and start throwing. Maybe one day you make the goal to work with mids to eliminate oat. Maybe another day you want to get out the drivers and work on throwing for power without so much concern about where it ends up.

By choosing a specific goal for the practice, you can narrow your focus on one particular aspect of your game.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 161
Throwing Style: LHBH
I don't spend time in the field anymore (I should), but when I did here was my routine...

Take some field cones (for soccer, or whatever) and put one where you're going to be throwing from. Take a meter wheel ($15-$20 online) and wheel out to 200' and drop a cone. Wheel out to 250' and drop another cone. 300' drop a cone, 350' drop, 400' drop, 450'.

(Of course you can adjust the distances to whatever you need them to be)

Then I would take as many discs as I could find that I felt comfortable throwing, it was mostly comets, rocs, predators, teebirds, and challengers, but this was back before the destroyer and all the other new crazy long discs.

I'd take all of my putters and throw them at the 200' or 250' cone with a hyzer. Then I'd take all my mids and throw at the 250' or 300' cone with a hyzer, then the drivers to the 300', 350', or 400' cone with hyzer.

Remember that the above sets are NOT about distance! The objective is to land as close to the cone you're aiming at as possible

After that round was done, I'd take the same discs to the same cones with anhyzer. After that I'd repeat the routine with straight shots.

This should take some time and by then I'd usually want to pump out a few long shots. So I'd do a set where I would throw all the drivers on flex shots, or try to get rollers out to the 450' cones. Then I'd reset and go back to controlled hyzers, anhyzers, and straight shots to comfortable distances.

Repeat all this for an hour or two a couple times a week and you'll see some serious increases in your controllable power and accuracy. There's also something to be said for knowing how far you can throw before you start to lose accuracy. Helps for the "golf" part of disc golf on long and challenging courses.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHFH
Not sure where you live but if you aren't far from Reservoir State Park on Military Rd & Rt 31, it has a ball golf practice field designed for irons. Its across from the snow hill. Perfect for field training. Its marked off every 50 yards with stakes out to 100 or more yards. I've rarely ever seen it being used by ball golfers especially at this time of year.