Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHFH
Champion Viking for FH Drives

So, I gave one of my 175g, older, foggy plastic champ Vikings w/ a mod. dome a real shot on a wooded course today for FH drives and it will be making more appearances in my bag, most likely permanently!

I was able to craft some nice lines with it at 50-80% power or so. Above 75% power or so, I'd probably trust it as a smooth right to left turnover, but I really only threw that shot once today, and it was with a new star valkyrie.

The shot that I really needed to find a disc for was fairly hard hyzer flip to flat, and this seems to be it. Even on downhills, it flipped up to flat, held, and had a little bit of LSS at the end. When I trust it with a little more power and dial it in more, it should only fly straighter, longer, I think.

I wanted my broken-in S-PD to be the disc for power hyzer-flips, but it turns over and stays turned over for good. After reading about the Saint, I do want to try that, too, as well as S-TD's, but damn, do I love the Champ. Viking right now.

On a side note, I already knew it was a great smooth turnover driver BH, so now that it's in the bag, it'll be interesting to see if I pull it out for backhands, too.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
I recently acquired 2 Ch Vikings and was able to spend a little time in the practice field w/ one. I'm a RHBH thrower, so I can't comment on the FH aspect, but I really liked the gentle turnover and long glide. Looks like the Viking may replace something in the bag after some more practice time...
Old 10-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 9
I found a no-name champ viking this year that I threw a couple times and it did exactly what you are describing. Threw on a ~4:30 hyzer with about 400ft of power and the thing slowly flipped up then glided a really long ways until gently forward fading.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 34
I've never thrown a viking, but I've thrown valkyries and have heard that they are similar. How do they compare?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Bogey Member

Viking is a great under rated disc. Sneaky long when thrown clean.

I have an older one that I forehand all the time. Super straight and not much fade.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 12
My first driver I purchased was a Viking. Thing is MONEY. It's really the most underrated disc in the Innova line up. Can be thrown on hyzer, flat or anhyzer lines and it fit's them all. Has great glide for an old mold. Seems to be one of the most consistent discs that Innova makes too. I no longer throw them but I have some old opaque champ ones laying around that I mess around with from time to time. Makes an awesome roller disc too.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 15
If I remember Dave D. said that this was (one of?) his favorite discs and it is def under the radar compared to the 1000 new molds coming out..
Old 10-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 39
Vikings are awesome and I have two in the bag most of the time. In my opinion the older run super flat vikings are much better flyers than the newer domdy vikings that are coming out today. If you can find one the old super pearly ones are probably the best vikings out there, they have just as much turn as most other runs but the have a TON more fade than any other vikigs out there. I think this makes these specific vikings much more forehand friendly as well as backhand

And from my experience they are a more controlable version of the valkyrie and they offer more stability than the valkyrie does
Old 10-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 41
I love my DX Viking! It is my straightest distance flyer, and "sneaky long" is a good description as far as I am concerned. This was beat up from early on--being used by a first timer friend, it's first game it hit trees and took a dive into a parking lot--so I don't know how it flew new. It has recently become a regular in my bag and I started looking to get a Champ. On a whim yesterday I stopped at Play It Again Sports and found one in very good condition. I can hardly wait to throw it!

Old 10-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreadwell View Post
I've never thrown a viking, but I've thrown valkyries and have heard that they are similar. How do they compare?
I believe the Viking is a Valkyrie-X.

The Viking has a little more HSS and LSS, so it can handle more speed/headwind. It needs a little less room to work the lines I like to throw in the woods, for sure. Valkyries could make for a slightly better tailwind/uphill driver, especially for around 350' and under throwers.

I like how the my star valk. and champ. viking complement each other, out of the box, and I'd highly recommend that combo.