Disc Golf Store
Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Birdie Member

Hate to tell you ZJ. Tacoma is right. I thought his post was quite insightful as well. They are the same exact disc.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: LHFH
Anybody here thinking ZJ is completely off-base remember the different flight characteristics of a PD in different plastics? Innova could slap a different stamp on a P-Line, and it wouldn't be that difficult to buy as a different disc next to an S or C-Line.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Discs can look the same. Millennium uses different blends of plastic. That we all know

The Astra over multiple runs in Q is less stable than the Archon. How? I can't tell you. But I don't pick up a disc and judge it on the fact it looks like another disc. The OP clearly understands they look the same. He wouldn't have made a thread asking for a difference

Astra compared to Archon across all plastics has less low speed fade, meaning it finishes forward better. The archon can handle more power and has less glide. There are differences in the flight of both discs.

I get the chance to test every disc that comes through DN. my goal is to help folks differentiate between similar models so that they can find the disc they want. Coming into to a thread, where everyone knew the discs looked alike and telling them "you are wrong", does nothing to further the discussion. It only limits the OPs desire to throw either disc
Old 10-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Anybody here thinking ZJ is completely off-base remember the different flight characteristics of a PD in different plastics? Innova could slap a different stamp on a P-Line, and it wouldn't be that difficult to buy as a different disc next to an S or C-Line.
That's just every disc made and that's a whole new argument and can of worms. Now your talking plastics, PLH, ect., ect. I guarantee I can find an Astra and Archon that fly the same. I can also find 2 Archons in the same weight, same plastic that fly completely different. Its the same disc. You need to hunt for a good one like we all do for every disc.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 13
i thought it was common knowledge that discs with sparkles fly better.

in all seriousness, this thread is motivating me to try an astra.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 PM
DGCR Vendor

Food for thought: If the discs are the same, then why are the PDGA specs different?

Archon - Astra
175.13g - 175.13g Max Weight
21.1cm - 21.1cm Diameter
1.7cm - 1.5cm Height
1.2cm - 1.2cm Rim Depth
16.6cm - 16.7cm Inside Dia
2.3cm - 2.2cm Rim Thickness
5.7% - 5.7% Rim Depth/Dia
28.25 - 28.25 Rim Config
11.45kg - 8.28kg Flexibility

Just playing devil's advocate here. They're close, that's for sure...but they're not the same.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 1
in my original post i was looking for the difference i know they are different disc. they have the same top that is obvious not positive they have the same bottome is there a spacer in there?

Other Mill mold are this innova top and a different innova bottom to make a new disc. IE Whippet top stingray bottom make MS or something like that.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by inbounds View Post
Food for thought: If the discs are the same, then why are the PDGA specs different?

Archon - Astra
175.13g - 175.13g Max Weight
21.1cm - 21.1cm Diameter
1.7cm - 1.5cm Height
1.2cm - 1.2cm Rim Depth
16.6cm - 16.7cm Inside Dia
2.3cm - 2.2cm Rim Thickness
5.7% - 5.7% Rim Depth/Dia
28.25 - 28.25 Rim Config
11.45kg - 8.28kg Flexibility

Just playing devil's advocate here. They're close, that's for sure...but they're not the same.

Could this be because of the cooling of different plastics? I would guess the flexibility and height would be different because of this but not sure about the others. Is it possible that shrinkage occurs during the cooling process? We all know discs vary from run to run and plastics effect stability. I am thinking this is the case. I am pretty sure these are the same mold but the measurements vary slightly due to cooling in the plastics.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOchains View Post
Could this be because of the cooling of different plastics? I would guess the flexibility and height would be different because of this but not sure about the others. Is it possible that shrinkage occurs during the cooling process? We all know discs vary from run to run and plastics effect stability. I am thinking this is the case. I am pretty sure these are the same mold but the measurements vary slightly due to cooling in the plastics.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 29
cooling doesn't make for different tech specs

cooling makes for differences between runs of the same disc

given that Millennium usually involves some tweak to an existing Innova mold often with the use of a nose spacer or the like in this case it almost seems as if it is the removal of a nose spacer

hence the lower height, bigger diameter and smaller wing

all of which could make for different flights between the similar looking discs (the differences are so small we would be hard pressed to differentiate without the tech specs)