Old 10-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Anode vs Dart

How similar are a MVP Anode and Innova dart? I'm wondering because I want to know if I should get an anode or an ion for approach shots.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 19
FWIW, I had a Star Dart and liked it, but now I putt with Ions and approach/drive with Anodes. I've hit my fair share of birdies/eagles on flicks with my Anode. I really love it for approaches.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 1
The Anode will be more similar to the Dart than the Ion. I've never thrown the Anode, but I know it's basically a premium P & A Aviar, if you're familiar with those.

The Ion is more overstable than the Dart. So, if you want more of a point and shoot approach disc, go with the Anode. Try it in Neutron. You'll probably leave your Dart on the shelf in no time.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 68
Never used a dart, but here's what I can tell you about Ions and Anodes.

The Anode is beadless. It is slightly faster, has slightly more glide, and less fade than the Ion. I also found at least Proton Anodes to be slightly domier than Ions.

The Ion has a bead. It is slightly slower, has slightly less glide and has more fade.

I use Ions myself, I have a set of old 3rd run, opaque, non-textured "Stormtroopers." They are softer than regular Proton softs. I prefer these to any other MVP putters I've tried.

I have tried Neutron plastic. It is a nice balance between Proton softs and mediums, closer to the mediums. I have not tried the new Neutron softs. Neutron is nice and grippy like my opaque ones. Proton seems a little slicker to me.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 29
Does the anode fade at all though? My dart is super inconsistent in any wind. It might go right the whole time, it might go left. I know the anode won't do as we'll as the ion in the wind but will it handle at least a little wind?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmattoon View Post
Does the anode fade at all though? My dart is super inconsistent in any wind. It might go right the whole time, it might go left. I know the anode won't do as we'll as the ion in the wind but will it handle at least a little wind?
The Anode will absolutely handle wind...It is just about as resistant to turning as the Ion only with less fade. It is a lot more dependable than the Dart in that respect. Ions are overstable under 300' imo, so you almost have to flex them to land straight ahead if you can't throw a hyzer. The Anode is more point and shoot. The Dart has some super glide, but it is a touchy disc and you really have to have your release speed dialed in to get good use out of it. I usually see them in the hands of older players whose skill far outmatches their athletic ability. Anode is much more forgiving, especially if you like throwing with a little pop.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 18
This stupid thread just convinced me to buy an Ion to complement my Anode....I need help
Old 10-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 68
You don't need help you just needed an Ion. They are great. I will agree with others that Anodes are straighter and have less fade, but Ions seem to shape lines for me better and I like having the extra fade.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:46 PM
* Ace Member *

I really don't think Anodes/Ions are even different enough to say one is a better line shaper than the other. I can throw the exact same lines with each, and neither are too good at more than hyzer/straight/anhyzer as they just want to hold their line under power. The biggest difference to me is feel. Switching from broken-in Ions to Anodes almost felt like no switch at all, only more comfortable releases.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardu View Post
You don't need help you just needed an Ion. They are great. I will agree with others that Anodes are straighter and have less fade, but Ions seem to shape lines for me better and I like having the extra fade.
Lol...so true.

I love my Anode, but lately it's been working better for approaches than putting. Plus, who doesn't like getting new plastic?

Edit: Oh and I guess my point is that my addiction is so bad, that a Dart vs. Anode thread led me to buy a completely different disc haha.