Old 10-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Bogey Member

Marbling with plastic?

Okay so I am wondering if anyone has tried out marbling with plastic wrap using iDye. I tried it out (with iDye Violet) on a test disc using the dyeing 101 tutorial and came out with a purple blob. I am wondering if this is because iDye takes faster than Rit or is it because I put too much dye. I am just wondering what I did wrong.

I can post a picture if needed but just imagine a marbleish purple blob.

EDIT: I am looking to get this effect.

Sponsored Links

Last edited by An UrgeTo Dance; 10-24-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
If you're looking for something like this I can give you tips...

1. Start with a large diameter fry pan that you don't care about (it's going to get some dye on it).

2. Place plastic grocery bags into the frying pan. The more you crumple up, the more dramatic the marble will be.

3. Warm the dye either in the microwave or on the stove and pour a healthy amount across the bags.

4. Place the disc upside down onto the bags in the pan, and place something heavy on top to help compress the disc into the bags. Leave sit for about 15 - 20 minutes depending on how deep you want the color. DO NOT Remove the disc and place it back in...It still looks cool, but it's quite a different look.

5. Take the disc out, rinse it and TADA!

Hope that helps.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 9
Hey, I remember doing that butterfly. That was actually the first saran wrap job I ever did. I think when I did this I made 4 or 5 saran wrap balls placed in a 9 inch cake pan. I remember not using much dye at all, maybe a shot glass full drizzled around the area semi evenly. I left the disc alone for about 12 hours. No heat, but yes to weight. I used an empty folgers coffee can full of water. If you have any more questions on specifics feel free to ask.