Old 10-08-2012, 12:06 AM

Courses Played: 2
PwEmc's Bag O' Discs

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 4 months
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH,RHFH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Pure: 270, Buzzz: 310, Varied Drivers: 340

Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Not really
Other sport proficiencies?: Running
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I have a decently varied bag, I tried to cover all angles of overstable/understable with drivers, then putters, I still need a more overstable midrange. I've been thinking about a Vector or a Wasp.
Specific areas of desired feedback: Any discs that I must have, gaps in my bag, ect. Discs that REALLY don't belong in my bag that are.
Immediate and long-term goals: I'd like to work on my form, specifically on RHFH shots, I always seem to release on a hard anhyzer. More distance in the long run would be lovely, as well, I'm still trying to figure out what disc I can drive the farthest with.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
[*]172 Star Boss-9/10-Don't really use it much, my destroyer covers this role well. But I use it on huge drives that I think my destroyer will be too flippy on.
[*]171 Z Glo Nuke-9/10-For shots that need a disc just a bit more overstable than the Destroyer.
[*]157 ESP Nuke-8/10-Usually used for standstill forehands that need a bit of overstable precision, or tight flex shots.
[*]170ish Z Nuke SS-8/10-Just got it, but using it mainly for forehand drives.
[*]175 Echo Star Destroyer-7/10-Nicely worn in for controllable backhand rips, starting to be a little too flippy for forehand shots, due to bad form.
[*]172 CryztalZ Avenger SS-9/10-Long anhyzers that need to come back and fade left right at the end.
[*]169 Gold Line Villain-10/10-For when I need the disc to turn HARD, usually thrown on a big hyzer.
[*]167 Champion Mamba-9/10- When I feel less confident with my forehand on a right-turning shot, or when I want to hyzer-flip it nice and far.
[*]172 Pro Beast-7/10-More controllable flippiness with a more pronounced fade than my Mamba
[*]168 Champion Starfire-8/10-First Ace disc, stable to slightly overstable, a nice middle-point between the Destroyer and Glo Nuke.
[*]175 Gold Line Striker-9/10-When I need to hold a tight line with a touch of fade.
[*]175 ESP Tracker-7/10-Just found, plan on using it for shots similar to the Starfire, I'll see if it holds up to it.
[*]167 Gold Line River-10/10-Dead laser straight shots, uphill drives, really controlled forehand shots. Brightest colored disc I have, I use it for "Potential to lose disc" shots.
[*]170 Champion Leopard-10/10-Really controllable short drives/long s curve shots out to 300ish

Mids:[*]176 Ti Buzzz-10/10-Mostly used for shots 150 to 250, when I don't have a line with my Skeeter.
[*]175 DX Skeeter-8/10-Nice steady tosses that need a gentle turn to go straight.

Putters:[*]170 MVP Anode-8/10-Main putter
[*]175 Opto Pure-9/10- Straight approach shots, or when I try to get a 50-100ft putt. A bit more stable than the Anode. I also use it for short drives when I feel the urge.
[*]175 DX Aviar-8/10-When I'm worried the Pure or Anode's plastics won't stick in the basket

Yes, I really do carry all those with me, and I carry a few more too, but these are the ones I hardly use. Mostly my girlfriend's designated discs:

[*]150ish Blizzard Wraith-6/10
[*]157 Opto Diamond-9/10
[*]152 DX Leopard-7/10
[*]150 Champion Teebird-10/10

Thanks for reading, I'd really appreciate feedback or tips on how to use my bag more effectively, or if I could use different discs for different tasks. I'm new to these forums, but I love the sport, and I'd like to broaden my discing horizons.

Last edited by PwEmc; 10-08-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
How do you feel about your Skeeter? I started out about the same time as you did, and the Skeeter was one of my first discs. I liked it on drives, but got increasingly frustrated on its finicky-ness when powered down, so I switched to a Comet, and I'm *really* glad I did - the Comet has the neutrality and glide of the Skeeter (and then some), but is much more versatile, especially inside of 200 ft. Just thought I'd mention that!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 12
If you're looking to work on your form, I would suggest dropping the high speed stuff and simplify your bag some. If you are maxing out at 340, you aren't getting the boss/destroyer/nuke up to speed. Maybe also look into a overstable mid, something like a wasp/vector/pain etc. There are a thousand it seems. If I were you, I would drop everything speed 10 and up. I feel like you could make some choices between some discs you have in the bag seeing as there is a good amount of overlap.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:47 AM
Par Member

I agree with Plastic Cannon
Old 10-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 26
yea you got to simplify. use your avenger ss for max d. throw wtih a little hyzer if you need some fade. river and leopard should be very similar, pick one. use your striker for FH drives and headwind. use your buzz and get maybe a wasp or drone for FH and headwind. figure out what you want to use for approach or drives in terms of a putter and figure out what putter will always stick in the chains. a back up putter you feel sticks to the chains seems like a whole lot of unconfident second guessing. you dont drain putts that way. a ss voodoo maybe right up your alley
Old 10-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by PwEmc View Post

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
[*]172 Star Boss-9/10-Don't really use it much, my destroyer covers this role well. But I use it on huge drives that I think my destroyer will be too flippy on.
[*]171 Z Glo Nuke-9/10-For shots that need a disc just a bit more overstable than the Destroyer.
[*]157 ESP Nuke-8/10-Usually used for standstill forehands that need a bit of overstable precision, or tight flex shots.
[*]170ish Z Nuke SS-8/10-Just got it, but using it mainly for forehand drives.
[*]175 Echo Star Destroyer-7/10-Nicely worn in for controllable backhand rips, starting to be a little too flippy for forehand shots, due to bad form.
[*]172 CryztalZ Avenger SS-9/10-Long anhyzers that need to come back and fade left right at the end.
[*]169 Gold Line Villain-10/10-For when I need the disc to turn HARD, usually thrown on a big hyzer.
[*]167 Champion Mamba-9/10- When I feel less confident with my forehand on a right-turning shot, or when I want to hyzer-flip it nice and far.
[*]172 Pro Beast-7/10-More controllable flippiness with a more pronounced fade than my Mamba
[*]168 Champion Starfire-8/10-First Ace disc, stable to slightly overstable, a nice middle-point between the Destroyer and Glo Nuke.
[*]175 Gold Line Striker-9/10-When I need to hold a tight line with a touch of fade.
[*]175 ESP Tracker-7/10-Just found, plan on using it for shots similar to the Starfire, I'll see if it holds up to it.
[*]167 Gold Line River-10/10-Dead laser straight shots, uphill drives, really controlled forehand shots. Brightest colored disc I have, I use it for "Potential to lose disc" shots.
[*]170 Champion Leopard-10/10-Really controllable short drives/long s curve shots out to 300ish

Mids:[*]176 Ti Buzzz-10/10-Mostly used for shots 150 to 250, when I don't have a line with my Skeeter.
[*]175 DX Skeeter-8/10-Nice steady tosses that need a gentle turn to go straight.

[*]175 Opto Pure-9/10- Straight approach shots, or when I try to get a 50-100ft putt. A bit more stable than the Anode. I also use it for short drives when I feel the urge.
[*]175 DX Aviar-8/10-When I'm worried the Pure or Anode's plastics won't stick in the basket

Yes, I really do carry all those with me, and I carry a few more too, but these are the ones I hardly use. Mostly my girlfriend's designated discs:

[*]150ish Blizzard Wraith-6/10
[*]157 Opto Diamond-9/10
[*]152 DX Leopard-7/10
[*]150 Champion Teebird-10/10

Thanks for reading, I'd really appreciate feedback or tips on how to use my bag more effectively, or if I could use different discs for different tasks. I'm new to these forums, but I love the sport, and I'd like to broaden my discing horizons.
I would drop everything in red, get the striker or tracker up to 350 consistently before jumping back in.

Honestly you set your girl up for better success. Nice work on her bag. Seriously!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 59
ge: 19 Sex: M Injuries/handicaps?: Not really Other sport proficiencies?: Running Wha

[QUOTE=PwEmc;1638496]

how about this:

[*]168 Champion Starfire-8/10-First Ace disc, stable to slightly overstable
[*]167 Gold Line River-10/10-Dead laser straight shots, uphill drives, really controlled forehand shots. Brightest colored disc I have

make that river and avenger ss your workhorse drivers and add an X Comet and zone or hornet to your mids and never look back. maybe a more overstable driver than the starfire for headwind and forehand drives, but forget the wide-rim drivers for now...

Old 10-15-2012, 12:48 AM
Par Member

I think jdw has had the best suggestion thus far. There is absolutely nothing wrong in discing down and throwing down and throwing slower discs, it will only help your game. Just because they are "max" distance drivers doesn't mean that they will be your farthest flying disc. I took all of my 12s and 13s out of my bag for a while and it really helped to improve my game. I've since put some of them back but that's also because I can throw them 450+.