Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Casual players most likely aren't going to present the bagging issue and league players will have a documented average score that could be used to create a ranking close enough to make sure they don't bag. After saying that you might be right. Mountains out of mole hills.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcr_russell View Post
Regardless of whether or not it works is irrelevent. We currently have a system that works as well. If your rating is under 900 you're not baggin Rec you're playing your rating. If your rating is under 935 you are not bagging intermediate you are playing your rating. And no matter what your rating is in Advanced if you havent accepted cash in Open you can do what you'd like. Big surprise that whoever plays best within any division will win. The winners will always be playing above the level of the rest of their field. Oh well.
Great points here. THe only problem is that the majority of baggers are at local non-sanctioned tournaments where people don't even have to pay the $10 pdga fee. That's where an out of towner can come in and play below their rating to "cash" some discs. I play advanced, so maybe that's why i don't see any baggers.

Here's a story. I played a local, non sanctioned tourney a few weeks ago. Guy comes in no one knew, played advanced. His round with us was about perfect, lowest score of the day, he finished 2nd. I thought there was a chance he was bagging. Looked him up on pdga.com, and found his rating was like 950-ish, and he was a true am player....some rounds in the upper 900's, some in the lower 900's....just happened to shoot really hot the 2nd round of the tourney....not a bagger (and no baggers in advanced unless you are a Pro level pdga membership in my eyes)
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
Casual players most likely aren't going to present the bagging issue and league players will have a documented average score that could be used to create a ranking close enough to make sure they don't bag. After saying that you might be right. Mountains out of mole hills.
Pretty much. Or, more generally, if there's a non-PDGA member playing tournaments just to bag, hopefully a local TD will be familiar enough with him to put him in an appropriate division.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 34
Guess its just one of those deals where I'll have to get better and move to open to eliminate the frustration. Too bad I have a few years of am left. I've plateaued lately lots of practice in my future.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugz36984 View Post
Guess its just one of those deals where I'll have to get better and move to open to eliminate the frustration. Too bad I have a few years of am left. I've plateaued lately lots of practice in my future.
It's kind of like skiing/snowboarding One of the many benefits of getting better is riding the black/double black runs where there are no crowds and the lift lines are short.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Pretty much. Or, more generally, if there's a non-PDGA member playing tournaments just to bag, hopefully a local TD will be familiar enough with him to put him in an appropriate division.
Can't a TD disqualify someone who is obviously "bagging"?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 147
I think some people get confused on what an open play is. The guys who play open at weekly league are probably intermediate players at best when you take them away from their home course and have them play a 4 hour tournamnet round.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.7
Courses Played: 81
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
The TD's don't need extra work, that's all this would add plus a lot of drama when the player is told they're a bagger and must move up or are DQed from the tournament.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
No.

A TD must require rated players to play in a division for which they qualify. A player in a division for which he qualifies is, by definition, not bagging.

A TD doesn't have to accept a non-PDGA member at all, or can assign him to an appropriate division, or limit the choices to Open or Open & Advanced, as he deems best. (Except A-tiers and above, when they can't play).

The only gap I can think of is a brand-new PDGA member, not yet rated.

Besides, how would a TD possibly define "obviously 'bagging'"?

Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Footnote: PDGA members are responsible for knowing what division they qualify for, and entering an eligible division. I suppose if a PDGA member entered the wrong division and it wasn't noticed until after the tournament began, he might be subject to DQ.