#61  
Old 10-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Thumber's Avatar
Thumber Thumber is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Years Playing: 7.2
Posts: 1,561
I don't think I have ever seen a legitimate case of someone bagging. I have seen a player in Am2 shoot a smoking opening round and have other players in his division walk around shouting bagger and pressure him into moving up a division, at which point he played his normal game and got smoked. Drives me nuts hearing people walking around ranting about baggers. My sig says it all
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Tpro's Avatar
Tpro Tpro is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 828
Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 43
Posts: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Kind of,but you didnt suggest an arbitrary number 5 pts above you rating that you believe all players higher than should be considered Pro.

You also didn't complain about how rich I am getting off selling my collection of DX Aviar/Roc player pack discs.
I personally dont care what division you play in, but if I was current (OMG BURN ME AT THE STAKE) and rated over 990 of course I would play Open. Unfortunately I'm not current and I play open anyways (OMG). I shoot good round and not amazing rounds. Playing Open makes me better more focus more talent. Ill qoute a good Forehand Pro out there... "Discgolf is to easy of a sport to get good at, not to play Pro."
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Usher's Avatar
Usher Usher is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thornton, CO
Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 71
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 312
sandbagger n.

To downplay or misrepresent one's ability in order to deceive someone.

So unless they are missing putts on purpose to lower their rating so they can move to a lower division and then take 1st place. They are not a bagger. If they are a 899 rated player and win Tournaments in the Rec division, try are playing in the division that the PDGA allows them to play in. No matter how many times they win, they can play there until their rating is 900.

Just because someone beats you, doesn't mean they are baggers. (coming from someone who has finished 2nd way more times than 1st)
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Zb1776 Zb1776 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake911 View Post
Yup, i just re-picked up the sport again in July from about 5 years off, and was waiting until Oct 1 to renew, and played 1 pdga sanctioned tourney prior to renewing. I received a rating at that tourney despite not being a current pdga member. Then when I renewed on Oct 1, that became my official rating. So I could have sandbagged that tourney, but then my rating would be too high to do it again, even if i had never renewed, it would be in the system.

Insuring TD's have access to this would be a great way to prevent mass sandbagging at tourneys. People could only do it once before their name would be in the system.
you didnt recieve a rating for the tournament, your rounds were rated based on others' ratings. But you are wrong in saying that that became yur official rating... no rated round, goes towards your rating after you sign up. rounds rated before you sign up NEVER go towards your rating because the ratings are tied to your pdga number, not your name so those previous rounds wouldnt be tied to your name nor would they look up every round youve ever played in to tie them to your name, too much work.

get ya facts strait!!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-10-2012, 12:14 PM
BENFTS's Avatar
BENFTS BENFTS is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SF & LA
Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 1,417
I still donít like the fact that you can't play in a local major with the big dogs unless your current and passed the officials exam. I wanted to play the Masters Cup last year in Santa Cruz but couldnít because of this. If a TD can pick your division based on his opinion why cant I pay to play with the big dogs without a rating?
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-10-2012, 12:22 PM
krupicka krupicka is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Naperville, IL
Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 59
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zb1776 View Post
you didnt recieve a rating for the tournament, your rounds were rated based on others' ratings. But you are wrong in saying that that became yur official rating... no rated round, goes towards your rating after you sign up. rounds rated before you sign up NEVER go towards your rating because the ratings are tied to your pdga number, not your name so those previous rounds wouldnt be tied to your name nor would they look up every round youve ever played in to tie them to your name, too much work.

get ya facts strait!!
Get your facts straight. There are a number of new members whose rating is based on rounds prior to joining the PDGA. I know I helped a couple around here do that. It is not automatic, but if you ask and have the info as to which events you participated in, it can be done.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-10-2012, 01:01 PM
iacas's Avatar
iacas iacas is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Erie, PA
Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,639
The USGA has a table showing the odds of shooting an exceptional tournament score:
http://www.usga.org/playing/handicap...eanstable.html

Amateur tournaments routinely have rules that set limits: for example, if you are a 10 handicapper who shoots a tournament round score of -7 (seven below your handicap, that is), the odds of that happening are 1200:1, and if the tournament accepts scores of 850:1 or better, you'd be DQed.

Sandbagging in golf is not nearly as common as people think. And it's much, MUCH easier for a poorer player to have a good day than a top-rated player, too. Look at the table. A 0-6 handicap shooting -6 (net differential) is 790:1 while it's only 536:1 for a 6-12 and only 60:1 for a 30 handicapper.

You could probably build a table similar to that one for disc golf events. If you shoot an exceptional tournament round, you're ineligible and/or you have to move up. PDGA.org could even mark infractions on your profile.

Last edited by iacas; 10-10-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-10-2012, 01:11 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Posts: 7,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENFTS View Post
I still donít like the fact that you can't play in a local major with the big dogs unless your current and passed the officials exam. I wanted to play the Masters Cup last year in Santa Cruz but couldnít because of this. If a TD can pick your division based on his opinion why cant I pay to play with the big dogs without a rating?
It's not uncommon for an organization to require you to be a member to participate in the organization's activities.

The PDGA isn't that strict---it makes allowances for non-members to play in lower-tier events. I think you could actually play the major without a rating, just not without a membership or passing the rules test.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-10-2012, 01:43 PM
jenb's Avatar
jenb jenb is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: DFW TX USA
Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Footnote: PDGA members are responsible for knowing what division they qualify for, and entering an eligible division. I suppose if a PDGA member entered the wrong division and it wasn't noticed until after the tournament began, he might be subject to DQ.
This happened at a local tournament where there was no question that the player was not pre registered, so the exception allowing TD discretion did not apply, and the player was moved up to the higher division mid tournament. He still cashed in the higher division, but maybe that pushed someone else in the higher division out of cash.
Reply With Quote
 

  #70  
Old 10-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Cgkdisc Cgkdisc is online now
.:Hall of Fame Member:.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 586
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,622
The USGA handicapping system only uses your best 10 scores out of your most recent 20 versus PDGA ratings which essentially uses your best 49 rounds out of current 50. In the USGA, you should only beat your handicap 1 in 4 rounds. In the PDGA, assuming you are not improving, which isn't the case for many ams, half of your rounds will be better and half worse. You will shoot more than 30 rating points better than your rating 1 in 6 rounds. You will average 30 points better than your rating in a 2-round C-tier 1 in 36 events. Again, that's if your rating is currently stable and not improving. Many ams are improving so they are the ones who will be perceived as baggers even though it's their natural progression as they legitimately pass thru a ratings range where many may have leveled out.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.