Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
Anyone's head ready to explode yet?

As a newcomer to the game, I wonder which will happen first:

1. my head will explode

2. I will get a chance to throw and understand a reasonable sample of the various discs out there

3. I will go broke trying #2

Seriously, there are more discs out there that I want to throw than I ever could, considering I want to get to know the paltry dozen or so I own better.

And i play every damned day!

How do you folks do it?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
figure out which discs work well for you.
out of those discs, choose one for each 'slot' (OS,stable,US...driver, mid, putter).
fill bag with those discs.
improve your distance, accuracy and putting (practice and playing).
when a new disc comes out, resist temptation to buy it unless the 'slot' it would fill is currently occupied with a disc you're not comfortable with.
if you MUST buy plastic, buy back-ups of the molds you feel like you will throw 5 years from now.

wash, rinse, repeat.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 20
One at a time. Form is greater than disc. But it's natural to want to try everything. The marketplace here is a great place to get discs at a reasonable price/trade. We could all make a list of 'the only 3 discs you need'. But experimenting and curiosity will always be there.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 1
Being addicted to discs is really easy. New plastic is NICE!

Try to avoid what most noobs, like myself do. DON'T buy more discs yet. If you already have a dozen, chances are good you have all you need.

Getting to know those dozen discs inside and out will make you a much better disc golfer. If you feel like your bag really has something missing, then by all means, get a couple to try out.

The only thing I suggest buying more of is putters. Find the one you like, and get at least 4-5 of the same ones in the same weight. The less you're walking to the basket to collect discs, the more time you have to throw, and improve your putting.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huk Finn View Post
One at a time. Form is greater than disc. But it's natural to want to try everything. The marketplace here is a great place to get discs at a reasonable price/trade. We could all make a list of 'the only 3 discs you need'. But experimenting and curiosity will always be there.
I'm hoping this will wear off as i gain experience. Thing is, I haven't found "that disc," yet, although I am getting closer. There is performance, but feel is huge for me as well.

On the other hand, when there is a mega-hyped disc like the Volt, it's hard not to WANT to play too.

It is great to have a new passion tho!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:37 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 213
Buying 1 at a time is a waste (as a new player wanting variety). Buy $50 or more at a time from Marshall Street.

TRADE. I have tried a large variety of discs by trading in the marketplace and testing out discs from friends. Thanks to Jrawk I have tried 80% of Lat 64, Kachtz 80% of Blizzard plastic, Gottafixit has helped me try a large variety, and the Pay it forward thread has been huge for trying out new discs.

Last edited by prerube; 11-14-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Being addicted to discs is really easy. New plastic is NICE!

Try to avoid what most noobs, like myself do. DON'T buy more discs yet. If you already have a dozen, chances are good you have all you need.

Getting to know those dozen discs inside and out will make you a much better disc golfer. If you feel like your bag really has something missing, then by all means, get a couple to try out.

The only thing I suggest buying more of is putters.
Find the one you like, and get at least 4-5 of the same ones in the same weight. The less you're walking to the basket to collect discs, the more time you have to throw, and improve your putting.
I believe you - I trust my old Shark better than my new Aviar, mainly for feel. Again, how to try all these wonderful discs? Pure, Ion, Wizard, Dart. They all sound great. As who-dat said, "wash-rinse repeat."
Old 11-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 25
You're not alone lol....I told my son today, that I was clearly addicted to all things disc golf. I have to force myself to keep my wallet in my pocket, and yes...i have plenty of discs to learn....Patience...deep breaths...I play just about every day, and that's a good thing or else I don't know what I would do with all this DG focused energy!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 1
The Ion, KC Pro Aviar (Big Bead Aviar), and Wizard are pretty much the same disc, just different plastics, and companies. The difference is really about preference in feel with those three.

The Dart is glidey, domey, super straight, has a bit more of a beveled edge, and is easy to throw for approach shots. I've never really putted with it. You might like it if you putt with a Shark.

Never thrown the Pure either, but it gets TONS of love around here.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:51 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Never thrown the Pure either, but it gets TONS of love around here.
one of the greatest discs I have ever owned. I use it for my putter, my mid, and driving putter.