Old 10-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Your bag is very solid and by-the-book. Here's what I recommend, some of which has been said already:

Putterss: Looks like you rotate your putters (putting and driving). Keep it up, and drop the Wizard if you're going to settle on Aviars.

Mids: Are any of your Rocs fresh? Would you rather have a fresh Roc over your Rhyno for overstable mid/approach duties? Keep testing your Rocs and figure out which plastic you like, and minimize the overlap or use your Rocs like your putters - rotate them to keep them in that money condition longer. Have you considered getting a very overstable mid (i.e. Gator or Drone) to fill our your mids (and maybe drop the Rhyno)? I second the Comet fir something that will go dead straight or finish right.

Fairways: Very solid fairway setup. Is that main Eagle an L or X mold? I know you don't throw your Teebird very often, but maybe drop it for a DX Teebird - you'll get more distance out of it because it will glide better. You certainly can drop it and use the Leo in its place if you can get the Leo to do everything you want a Teebird to do.

Distance drivers: Have you considered adding a faster Valk (like a Wraith or something with a similar turn/fade than your Valk)? You certainly have the power for it.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to samfoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Runner Guy View Post
Your bag is very solid and by-the-book. Here's what I recommend, some of which has been said already:

Putterss: Looks like you rotate your putters (putting and driving). Keep it up, and drop the Wizard if you're going to settle on Aviars.

I am rotating them and loving that. The wizard is gonna be dropped. Just waiting on an aviar to beat in.

Mids: Are any of your Rocs fresh? Would you rather have a fresh Roc over your Rhyno for overstable mid/approach duties? Keep testing your Rocs and figure out which plastic you like, and minimize the overlap or use your Rocs like your putters - rotate them to keep them in that money condition longer. Have you considered getting a very overstable mid (i.e. Gator or Drone) to fill our your mids (and maybe drop the Rhyno)? I second the Comet fir something that will go dead straight or finish right.

I do keep a fresh DX Roc. And I think I'm gonna cycle dx rocs. That is the plan at the moment. I find myself reaching less and less for the KCs. I know a guy with some 11xs that I may try at some point. For now I'm liking the DXs and the Champ PM Roc. A Gator would definitely fit and I can see myself liking that over a beefy roc like a Kenny Rings. I don't think I'll drop the Rhyno. I just am very comfortable using that disc in a lot of situations.

Fairways: Very solid fairway setup. Is that main Eagle an L or X mold? I know you don't throw your Teebird very often, but maybe drop it for a DX Teebird - you'll get more distance out of it because it will glide better. You certainly can drop it and use the Leo in its place if you can get the Leo to do everything you want a Teebird to do.

My main Eagle is an L. I have a few 9x Eagles on the way I got on the cheap. So I am excited to see how they fit in the bag. I can certainly see a DX bird having more utility than the star. My brother has a few laying around so I might put that in this weekend. I probably also need a fresh Leopard though.

Distance drivers: Have you considered adding a faster Valk (like a Wraith or something with a similar turn/fade than your Valk)? You certainly have the power for it.

I've used a Wraith with success in the past but never dabbled in it till I was getting my eagles out to 380 or so. But when I have a chance I'll pick one up and try it out.
Thanks for the feedback! Gave me lots to think about.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Bogey Member

Alright Guys, Update time

Vitals:
Age - 20
Height - 6'2"
Weight - 260 lbs
Throwing Style - RHBH, RH Thumber
Distances (still working on getting these to where they were, comfortable golf distance ) -
Rhynos: 260, Aviar: 280, Rocs: 330, Eagles: 360
Rhynos: 270, Aviar: 300, Rocs, 340, Eagles: 380
I got in some good word and really refined a few things. I comfortably threw these distances this morning and my drives on the course reflected it.

My bag at the moment:
1 175 Gummy Champ Rhyno ~ Overstable putter drives and approaches. Putter Thumbers

4 175 KC Aviars ~ 2 for Putting and 2 for Driving. Just switched from wizards so still beating one in to neutral/ undrestable. Until then:

1 175 RFF Wizard ~ for soft upshots and turning upshots.
Out of the Bag. I am better off learning to do those shots with an aviar. Hasn't hurt me yet.

1 165 DX Roc ~ Super beat. This disc exits for super slow turning shots. Doesn't see much action but it stays in the bag till i get a better forehand.

3 180 DX Rocs ~ Varying wear but mostly neutral to understable. I'm still trying to work out a general preference between KC and DX.

2 180 KC Rocs ~ Beat to Neutral. Main Driving Rocs.
Out of the Bag. I don't know if I had a bad run but these never were too stable for me. I prefer rotating DXs.

1 178 Champ Paul McBeth Roc ~ New to the bag and may drive out the KCs if this becomes a production run.

1 170 Pro Leopard ~ Understable Fairway Driver

1 170 Star Eagle X ~ Main Driver. Pretty Straight with a slight S.
Main driving duties have been replaced and I apologize, this was just a less stable X not an L.

1 170 Star Eagle X ~ Drives to finish Left/ slight headwinds
These two have become backups mostly
1 175 9x KC Eagle ~ Main overstable driver.

1 175 9x KC Eagle ~ Main Driver. Beat in to a charm.

1 175 Star Teebird ~ Beat. Straight woods driver. Don't use this much to be honest. The leopard works better. Just filler in the bag atm.
Out of the Bag. The leopard worked better any way and the new less stable eagle just goes straight like a charm.

1 170 Champ Valkyrie ~ Worn in well. Good Turning Distance Driver. I can get this out to ~400 or roll it if I want to.

1 175 Champ Firebird ~ Thumber drives and headwind/trick shot disc.

For the most part I've improved my drives over the past week. My putting has been shady. I've put in a lot of work on it but its still inconsistent. I'm much more confident stepping to the tee now not worrying about disc selection as much. Dropping the KC Rocs was a big help mentally. As soon as I get a chance I'll probably try out gators and probably comets.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Bogey Member

I'm planning on playing Kansas World's in 2013 so I'm thinking about Distance Drivers. I played into a bit of a headwind today and noticed my distance with my eagles suffered a bit more than I'd like. I've heard suggestions for the Wraith but what about something that fights the wind a bit better? Destroyer? Discmania something? Halo? Is Blizzard something I should consider?

Might be putting a Teebird back in too. I've noticed that I lose a good chunk of D if I have to throw an eagle straight and can't let it S . That's fine lots of places, but not all the time in NC woods.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 56
I really like the way my Discraft discs handle wind. Not sure why. Maybe just my biased perception.

If you're looking for a really good headwind disc, the Flick is the best one. Possibly a heavy one, but I only carry 150s. They don't get held up by the wind like blunter objects do. They're not going to flip on you.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Bogey Member

Update:

It has been a while since I posted here but there haven't been too many changes to the bag. None the less I thought an update would be good and its always nice to hear suggestions.

Vitals:
Age - 20
Height - 6'2"
Weight - 260 lbs
Throwing Style - RHBH, RH Thumber
Distances -
Rhynos: 300, Aviar: 310, Rocs: 355, Eagles: 380, Halo: 400
Rhynos: 320 Aviar: 330, Rocs, 380, Eagles: 400, Halo: 425
Distance has steadily improved after I was able to get in some field work with Cam Todd. My goals right now are steep but I want to reach 400 ft of golf distance with Rocs.

My bag at the moment:

Putters:

1 175 Gummy Champ Rhyno ~ Overstable putter drives and approaches. Putter Thumbers.

1 175 KC Pro Aviar ~ Mildly beat for neutral and turnover putter drives and touchier approaches.

1 174 Gummy DX San Marino Aviar ~ Beat in and wonderful for touch shots and sloping greens.

3 175 DX Big Bead Aviars ~ Current putting putters. Really only use one but keep the others in the bag for practice and to keep them evenly worn.

Mids:
1 176 DX Flat Top Roc ~ Pretty new find but is beat in very well. Overlaps a bit with my other understable Roc but it might stay as I'm finding it to be a bit less stable and more glidey.

1 177 DX Ching Roc ~ Understable Roc as it is beat in well. Contesting with the Flat Top above for my understable Roc spot.

1 180 DX Flat Top Roc ~ Neutral to slightly understable. My workhorse midrange.

1 180 Glow Flat Top Roc ~ Current Stable Roc.

1 178 PM Roc ~ Being a bit faster and less glidey than my other Rocs, it tends to handle wind very well even though its not super stable. It also has a lot less distance potential so I like throwing it when I can't put too much on one. Will probably be replaced by Roc 3's soon enough unless I can get my hands on some cheap older USDGCs as I'd rather have a more stable premium plastic Roc.

Drivers:
1 170 Pro Leopard ~ Understable Fairway Driver

1 170 Star Eagle X ~ Neutral Fairway. This one is beat out of stable but it can still handle wind decently and it goes far.

1 175 CE Eagle X ~ Stable Fairway Driver. This is my workhorse driver. Incredibly reliable.

1 175 Champ Firebird ~ Thumber drives and headwind/trick shot disc.

1 172 GL Flow ~ Controlled distance drives. Slightly understable as its relatively new. Very easy distance with this disc.

1 175 GL Halo ~ Max distance disc. I have to crank it and I have to have room which doesn't happen much around Charlotte, NC.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 23
Good setup! Very simple. I'm kinda rebuilding the bag to be similarly simpllistic. Trying to decide between Eagles and Teebirds though.