Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Gateway Element likened to Discmania ?

Hi all,
I looked at some threads trying to find any RHBH thrown mids that end right like the element.. and there wasn't much discussion on how this thing achieves it's flight.

When I throw it flat, even with a bit of a nose up, it goes straight about 150-200' then starts veering off right, never fading back left (at least my 10-20' altitude throws).

I have read threads stating up and down a disc has to fade LEFT for RHBH, I wonder if element never fades or has a 0 fade and a solid turn.. but it is strange because it doesn't turn immediately.. it waits 2/3 of the way, more like a fade. /boggle.

-------

I am going for a discmania only bag, and wonder which disc someone would use for similar throws.

Gottagothrow joe's flight comparison shows Element as -2, 2.. the md2 is closest to that, -1.5 1..

Does anyone have suggestion on what to compare it to? A really beat md2?

Thanks~
Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 370
I have a beat s-line MD-2. It's straight with minimal fade, apt to turn in a headwind. It will hold an anhyzer till the end.

I have a c-line MD-2. It's more stable than the S-line, more like a core or buzzz.

I have two different plastic Elements: Evolution and HPP.

My Evolution Element is beat and is less stable than my beat s-line MD-2. I would liken my Evolution to fly more like a GL Fuse or Champ Panther.

The HPP Element flies rather similar to the C-line MD-2 or Buzzz. Straight with moderate fade and can handle some headwind.

All the discs discussed are within a couple grams of each other.

Hoped this helped.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:13 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 213
I think the Element is pretty understable. a lighter MD2 may be similar to a heavier Element.
Not sure why you would want to limit yourself to one manufacturer if you are not sponsored, but hey, it is your bag.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 29
get a pmd2 or find a dmd2(i think they made some) and beat them in...u should be able to achieve the similar flight with one of them. beating in an s or c md2 is going to take a while

Last edited by booter; 10-08-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by booter View Post
get a pmd2 or find a dmd2(i think they made some) and beat them in...u should be able to achieve the similar flight with one of them. beating in an s or c md2 is going to take a while
I agree - a beat PMD2 will be easy to turnover

and they do make DMD2's and which beat into DX Roc type of flight paths. You may have to order these from overseas now - I haven't seen them in the major US retailers inventory in a while.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 31
I recently discovered HPP Elements & they are SWEEEET! Flat they hold the turn unless thrown high. Adjust the hyzer angle & they will flip up flat & straight or continue a gentle right turn. The old runs are the best- flat, supper grippy, & just slightly flexible. The new one I've felt at the local shop were crap. Domey & almost felt flimsy compared to the ones I've got.
I honestly believe Elements (the good plastic!) are SUPER underrated. If people would get off the "Gateway only makes good putters" bandwagon, they would see not all their other stuff sucks
Old 10-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 6
It kind of sounds like you are over torquing the disc. It seems like a neutral type disc should just go straight. Read this, it may or may not apply to you.
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resour...ht.shtml#right

Last edited by Prototype; 10-08-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 22
Thanks for the quick replies! Will mess around with some md2's.. maybe find a used one thats already beat in.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
My only experience with elements was a 179g Evo, but I agree with Goon's et al.'s assessment of it being much more understable than MD2's. My element was basically a Buzzz SS/Coyote type disc.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
It kind of sounds like you are over torquing the disc. It seems like a neutral type disc should just go straight. Read this, it may or may not apply to you.
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resour...ht.shtml#right
Depends how many trees you hit. Comets are pretty neutral but are turnover machines after you whoop on them a bit. My Elements were pretty straight out of the box but now love turnovers