Disc Golf Store
Old 10-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 2
it is in the same park all the courses kinda wrap around near each other. Hole 1 for the temp course starts between wellspring and cedarock if its stayed the same from two years ago. I havent played since 2010
Old 10-11-2012, 09:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
yea i'm super stoked for this one, the Rock Creek temp course is amazing. and yes they're all in the same area, the layout should be very close to what it was two years ago. it's such a great complex they're using it for the Masters tourney next year.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 100
Yeah, Rock Creek temp course had some fun holes.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:07 AM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
We are testing a layout of mixed basket locations at Cedarock this weekend that we feel will be the best overall course for the US Masters.

Please post opinions / questions regarding the layout.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 35
Well I had promised the wife to take her to the fair this weekend. and in-laws are coming next weekend. I am a little bit sad.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 199
I'll to sneak out there later today if work allows.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupD View Post
Is the 3rd course close to the other 2 courses that are in the park?
yes. Hole 1 of the temp course tees off right by the bathrooms. you play down to the pond then back up to the bathrooms. then you cross the street to the BIG field where everyone camps and that is holes 3 and 4. Once you play those holes you cross the street and walk through the parking lot where everone parks to play cedar rock and then goes from there. There are a couple of tricky transitions so if you have never played the temp course you will need someone to show you around.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 2
woooo sounds good! cant wait till tomorrow. Rock Creek Longs starting off is going to be a bit brutal haha
Old 10-12-2012, 11:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 136
Send a message via AIM to New013
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
We are testing a layout of mixed basket locations at Cedarock this weekend that we feel will be the best overall course for the US Masters.

Please post opinions / questions regarding the layout.
I played Cedarock Gold yesterday and for the most part I thought the combination was spot on.

The only one I can see a real problem with is 11, I've always thought that from the blue/gold pad the basket position up on the hill creates an awkward line. I just play it straight out in to the open, then approach and take my 3 and avoid all of the risk of trying to flex something through the gap.

Then there's 17 & 18. From the Golds and current basket positions for me personally they become kind of boring holes. If you can throw close to 450 you are left with really boring wide open short upshots for an easy 3. I'm not sure what kind of distances most people playing Masters can hit but it might make more sense to either play those from a shorter pad or move 17's basket back to the hill.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:50 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
I played Cedarock Gold yesterday and for the most part I thought the combination was spot on.

The only one I can see a real problem with is 11, I've always thought that from the blue/gold pad the basket position up on the hill creates an awkward line. I just play it straight out in to the open, then approach and take my 3 and avoid all of the risk of trying to flex something through the gap.

Then there's 17 & 18. From the Golds and current basket positions for me personally they become kind of boring holes. If you can throw close to 450 you are left with really boring wide open short upshots for an easy 3. I'm not sure what kind of distances most people playing Masters can hit but it might make more sense to either play those from a shorter pad or move 17's basket back to the hill.
Thanks for the input.

Our decision to mix the layout is to create the best possible course regardless. After all, 95% of the players at the event will have never played the course, so the baskets mixed will not have any affect on them; they will just throw to the basket not knowing the difference in the two. Holes like 10 needed to be in the straight pin to avoid confusion. Besides, the scoring seperation of the shared hole, 15, is a lot better in the shorts as it's a tricky par 3 there but a very easy par 4 in the long pin. And then beyond that, you don't have that awkward shot on 10 where the only basket you can see is the one you aren't throwing too.

Hole 11 was actually our largest debate. The decision of the shorter basket was mine and it was due to a few factors. While it is an easier three in that position, it creates more twos. The difficulty difference on the longer pin and shorter pin for 3's isn't very large at all, however the difficulty difference of 2's is way different.

When you have that much of an increase in difficulty, it's almost always best to make it easier and create more 2's so you get a good seperation. You get less 3's but it's because more 2's occur. The tee shots that would be 3's on the current pin very rarely become 4's on the longer pin (throw a tee shot that you wouldn't duece the shorter pin and I bet you get up and down to both baskets). That is where the issue came in.

If that makes sense?

I gained A LOT of confidence with mixing layouts and design with my All-Star Buckhorn layout and Forest Hills. And I'm getting more and more and more into mixing layouts like this as I progress.

As far as 17 and 18, I understand your points. However, we had a chance to add strokes to the course which is important for a major. We fully admit that the shorts are probably better holes, but to get a par at 59 was a huge selling point when we put in the bid for the event. That is basically where that came from.

Ideally we wanted 1 tee to be played - and once again same theory - regardless of what it's called, we were going to play the best hole. But with divisions such as advanced senior grandmasters and such, it was decided to leave two sets of tees and just mix the baskets.

Last edited by _MTL_; 10-12-2012 at 12:52 PM.