Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

View Poll Results: What do you use to knock discs out of trees?
Baseball 32 18.71%
Golf ball 9 5.26%
Tennis ball 2 1.17%
Rock/Stick (whatever you can find) 79 46.20%
Tape Measure 5 2.92%
Other 44 25.73%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
I climb trees. But it usually just looks like I'm pulling the tree to the ground.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
what is the one thing that most dg'ers carry with them that is probably the best thing POSSIBLE to get discs out from a tree!?!

WATER BOTTLE!!!!
I've had water bottles break on me when hitting the ground. You're then stuck with no water and your disc still in a tree.

I use a tennis ball or whatever I can find. I'm kind of a a fat guy so my skinny friends will climb up there and retrieve them if possible.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 41
softball
Old 10-12-2012, 06:36 PM

Washer Magic

If its under 40 feet up and not buried deep in branches, a stick or rock works for me. If its higher, or in an unclimbable tree or buried in branches I bring out a tool I made that always works. Take four or five heavy square 3" washers tightly tied together. Attach them securely to 50 to 80' of hd 1/8" flexible cord. Hold the end of the cord not attached to the washers in your left hand (for RH throwers), and with your throwing hand grasp the other end of the cord 3 to 5' from the mass of washers. Swing the cord until it reaches the desired speed and release on a trajectory that takes it OVER the branch the disc is lodged on.

The washers will snag the branch allowing you to shake it vigorously until the disc falls. As an alternative, you can lower the washers through the branches until you can grab the washers and the other end of the cord and really give it a shake. Once the disc is down a few shakes of the cord and the washers descend into your waiting hand.

This tool has NEVER failed me. Well worth the small space it takes up in my bag. YMMV

Note: If you are concerned that the square washers might get stuck in the tree, try round washers. I chose square washer because they catch the branch more easily and I've never lost them up a tee in the five years that I have been using this method.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
what is the one thing that most dg'ers carry with them that is probably the best thing POSSIBLE to get discs out from a tree!?!

WATER BOTTLE!!!!
gatorade bottles are better or you man up and climb the tree and shake it
Old 10-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleart View Post
If its under 40 feet up and not buried deep in branches, a stick or rock works for me. If its higher, or in an unclimbable tree or buried in branches I bring out a tool I made that always works. Take four or five heavy square 3" washers tightly tied together. Attach them securely to 50 to 80' of hd 1/8" flexible cord. Hold the end of the cord not attached to the washers in your left hand (for RH throwers), and with your throwing hand grasp the other end of the cord 3 to 5' from the mass of washers. Swing the cord until it reaches the desired speed and release on a trajectory that takes it OVER the branch the disc is lodged on.

The washers will snag the branch allowing you to shake it vigorously until the disc falls. As an alternative, you can lower the washers through the branches until you can grab the washers and the other end of the cord and really give it a shake. Once the disc is down a few shakes of the cord and the washers descend into your waiting hand.

This tool has NEVER failed me. Well worth the small space it takes up in my bag. YMMV

Note: If you are concerned that the square washers might get stuck in the tree, try round washers. I chose square washer because they catch the branch more easily and I've never lost them up a tee in the five years that I have been using this method.

This sounds promising
Old 10-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 34
I threw a tomahawk over a tree line, it got caught on the other side of the treeline and was jammed in. I tried rocks, golfball, waterbottle, nothing was working. I was looking around for a longer branch or chunk of wood and found a shoe. I used the shoe, first shot was a tester to see how it flew, then 2nd shot nailed the disc out and the shoe was then stuck. Thank god it wasn't my shoe haha
Old 10-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 18
I think I need to pick up a slingshot...

I got TWO discs stuck today and had to spend 30 minutes each getting them. I ended up giving three little kids mini markers for "helping" me. They kinda just stood there, but it was amusing to hear what they had to say.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pwnerator View Post
I think I need to pick up a slingshot...

I got TWO discs stuck today and had to spend 30 minutes each getting them. I ended up giving three little kids mini markers for "helping" me. They kinda just stood there, but it was amusing to hear what they had to say.
sling shot would be great, but hit a branch and it fire back down and could pose as an issue Lolol

Old 10-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.6
I climb it if the tree is climbable, otherwise, I use a blunt rock or stick.

A few months ago, I ran into an issue that I've never encountered before: my "little" brother (monster of an arm, football player, muscular) cranked an orange Mamba I had decided wasn't for me, but the tee was still wet from morning dew and he slipped. The tee is elevated 35+ ft and the hole is surrounded by 100-150 ft trees with leaves and branches only near the top. The Mamba did what Mambas do and soared, glided. I was impressed, it was a hell of a throw for a high miss, then it hit one of the tallest of those trees and stuck near the very top. His face was pure terror, then we both just died laughing. It was out of his rock/stick range and I wasn't about to risk another disc, so we got his football out of my truck and spent the next hour punting at the tree. We both hit it and the branch it was on several times, but the thing never even budged. We quit when it started to rain and the damn thing is still there to this day. I've seen quite a few people attempt to get it with projectiles, to no avail. The worst part is the orange color being visible from a good distance away so everytime I play, I have to see it... Taunting me...