Old 10-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 6
Disc weight. New to the game, did I buy the wrong weight discs?

I've started about two months ago and immediately fell in love. I got plastic fever and bought a bunch of discs since I'm playing with a group of friends and I loan out every round.

I only bought a couple high speed drivers before I read anything and kept hearing people say stay away from them.

I know I'm going to be playing this game until I can't anymore. This is my question. Being so new to the game I'm really bad. This next week I plan on trying to retrain drives from the ground up with the help from the Dan Beto video.

I have a lot of discs in the mid to high 170's. Buzzz's, Eagles, TL, Ion, Anode, Axis. The rest of my stuff is high 160's, or low 170's.

How much does weight affect getting a disc up to speed? With my poor technique and slow arm should I be throwing anything heavy? I didn't want to buy anything super light like the Diamond or Pearl because I live near the Niagara River and our area is generally windy. Should I pick up a couple discs in the 160's until I gain technique? I'm assuming lighter discs are easier to get up to speed.

I've tried to find an answer to this question, but there's a lot of information here and I'm terrible with the search function.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Strictly from my own experience as one who is new, yes. I throw 150 class a much as I can. When it gets windier I use heavier discs. I definitely do notice the difference. Not only can I not throw as far, but I also can not throw as much before my shoulder and arm start feeling the strain. Less throwing means less practice.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHFH
The Niagara River you say? You're in my neck of the woods. Go light. Give a 150 Leopard a try. It was the first disc I was able to control with any sort of reasonable distance and 5+ years later I still have a 150 Leopard in my bag. Of course with the constant breeze coming off the river at Beaver Island SP, you might want something a little heavier and a little more stable like a Gazelle. Don't be afraid to throw light plastic into most a breeze even when its in your face, but a strong headwind can cause problems with a light disc. Your Buzzz & Eagle should handle the stronger headwinds.

Maybe I'll see you out on the course. My home course is Joseph Davis and its a great course for learning the game. But the wife and I play all over WNY. And don't dismiss Veteran's Park in Tonawanda either. Nothing over 200' and only 9 holes, but its a great place to hone your upshots and putting.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 7
The heavier discs are probably a bit on the heavy side, but it probably isn't a big deal. You will most likely see better results (longer throws with no loss of control) if you threw drivers and mids that were a bit lighter but I wouldn't expect it to have a negative effect on learning. The heavy putters should be just fine. Which molds and plastics you throw can have a much larger effect.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Bogey Member

Thanks for the reply.

I've been living at Joseph Davis every week for the last month. I play at Pinewoods park which sounds similar to Veteran's but I haven't played there yet. I've been meaning to check it out. We've played all over WNY. Our Second trip out was Como Lake (mistake) and third was Chestnut Ridge (bigger mistake, so many trees). I'm the only one of my group that's remotely serious and I recognize I'm terrible, but I have fun

I don't own a Leopard, I'll try and pick one up. Does it matter what plastic? I like the feel of the Star plastic but I do I want a DX to beat in?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 41.1
Welcome

I too have a low arm speed problem in that I have a shoulder that prevents me from putting full power into a throw. One thing I've discovered is that to a point, the faster the disc the lighter I like it. My drivers are 150s, mids 165 and putters 175. Ultra light (135) high speed stuff is great if your form is right and the wind is low. HTH
Old 10-12-2012, 05:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHFH
Most folks will probably tell you to get DX, but I'm a rare exception. Dx will beat in quickly and in my view especially someone who's new to the game you're gonna hit a lot of stuff that isn't a basket. And that DX will quickly be quite different from when you started. I've had Leopards in DX Pro Star & Champion While it might cost a bit more for the better plastic, it'll stay truer to the flight path you are looking for a lot longer.

You can get discs locally from several places. There's a outdoorsy kind of store on Ellicott Creek RD. right across from Ellicott Creek Park. Pretty handy since Ellicott Creek is a pretty beginner friendly course. Stuart's in Lewiston (not far from JD) carries Innova. I've heard of place in Hamburg that sells discs too. There are several locals who sell out of the back of their cars. But far and away the best place locally to buy plastic and everything else you need is at Discology 101 in Eden. The proprietors of Discology, Doug & Mary Opiela, have 35+ years of discin experience between them and they can help you with anything from plastic to advice. And he has a course on site too!

And although I tout light discs, I agree that you should stick with a heavier putter.

Although I haven't actually played Pinewoods myself, from what I've seen of the park, Veteran's is a much better bet.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 10
I live in a windier area too, NE Nebraska, and I actually started learning with heavier drivers just so I could control them in the wind. Eventually I started to move to where I am throwing 165ish drivers with plans to get lighter. A lot of it is personal preference too, if you feel like you can control the lighter drivers then definitely do it.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 30.1
Courses Played: 27
My recommendation is to get a champ Firebird for windy/overstable and thumber duties, champ or star Sidewinder or Roadrunner for understable distance driver, lightweight champ or star Leopard to learn proper technique on drives, a buzz or Roc, and a putter. After you're comfortable with all those and get a bit of experience, then you can branch out.

Tim S.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthunderchicken View Post
My drivers are 150s, mids 165 and putters 175.
I've only been playing a year, but this is the way I've learned to set up my bag, too. I'm gradually inching up (or is that 'gramming up'?) the weights as my (improving) snap begins to turn the lighter stuff over too much.